Professional Web Applications Themes

Anyway to setup WinXP pro as domain controller - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

Hi, I just started sharing my home broadband connection and setup a network of three XP machines using the Networking Wizard. All my shares are available or viewable on each machine. I have Simple File Sharing enabled. The three machines are connected one to the other by cat-5 crossover cables and NIC cards, with one machine having direct access to the internet (I'm thinking about making that machine the domain controller if possible). I need some help ... I am seeking a way to have certain folders restricted depending on which machine/user accesses it. I probably have to remove Simple ...

  1. #1

    Default Anyway to setup WinXP pro as domain controller

    Hi,

    I just started sharing my home broadband connection and setup a network of
    three XP machines using the Networking Wizard.

    All my shares are available or viewable on each machine. I have Simple File
    Sharing enabled. The three machines are connected one to the other by cat-5
    crossover cables and NIC cards, with one machine having direct access to the
    internet (I'm thinking about making that machine the domain controller if
    possible).

    I need some help ... I am seeking a way to have certain folders restricted
    depending on which machine/user accesses it. I probably have to remove
    Simple File Sharing as a start.

    I remember a program called usrmgr.exe (user manager for domain admins, or
    something like that). It ran on a Win 2000 box at work. It allowed one to
    setup users (groups, permissions, duration of computer use, etc).

    I'd like to do something like that at home.

    Any suggestions on how to do that on three machines running WinXP Pro?

    Thanks in advance,

    copulus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyway to setup WinXP pro as domain controller

    The problem with setting up user accounts on the 'server' is that I don't
    want the other users to be able to log on to the machine with their
    credentials.

    Can this be avoided.

    copulus Guest

  3. #3

    Use gpedit.msc, expand Computer Configuration->Windows
    Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies, click User
    Rights Assignment.

    Find "Deny logon locally" and add the accounts you don't
    want to be able to log on.

    They'll still be able to log on via the network, but not
    locally on the machine.

    David Jones Guest