Professional Web Applications Themes

AOL 5.0 and OS 9.2 problem - Mac Applications & Software

I have an IBook running OS 9.2 that I typically use at home connected to my cable modem thru a router. I recently installed AOL 5.0 on the IBook because I needed access to the internet while travelling. After the initial installation of AOL, everything worked fine. When I wanted to use the ethernet connection again, I just went to the TCP/IP settings and selected Ethernet and DHCP and everything worked fine. I was travelling again last week and started using my AOL account again. When I tried to log into AOL I got a message that said "Your TCP/IP ...

  1. #1

    Default AOL 5.0 and OS 9.2 problem

    I have an IBook running OS 9.2 that I typically use at home connected
    to my cable modem thru a router. I recently installed AOL 5.0 on the
    IBook because I needed access to the internet while travelling. After
    the initial installation of AOL, everything worked fine. When I
    wanted to use the ethernet connection again, I just went to the TCP/IP
    settings and selected Ethernet and DHCP and everything worked fine. I
    was travelling again last week and started using my AOL account again.
    When I tried to log into AOL I got a message that said

    "Your TCP/IP settings must be changes to browse the web. You current
    settings will be restored when you quit."

    I clicked OK and everything was fine. The problem is that now I can't
    connect back to my network thru the ethernet connection. I've looked
    at the TCP/IP settings, I've gone into the AOL Link settings and tried
    to restore TCP/IP settings and nothing is working. I'm not sure what
    else to try. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate
    it.
    cnavazio Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AOL 5.0 and OS 9.2 problem

    >When I
    >wanted to use the ethernet connection again, I just went to the TCP/IP
    >settings and selected Ethernet and DHCP and everything worked fine.
    You do understand that when you are connected to broadband, you can use AOL
    without using the telephone modem, correct?
    >was travelling again last week and started using my AOL account again.
    > When I tried to log into AOL I got a message that said
    >
    >"Your TCP/IP settings must be changes to browse the web. You current
    >settings will be restored when you quit."
    Yep, you shoud see that. It's a stupid, badly-worded message; what it shouldsay
    is "You are connecting by a telephone modem but your TCP/IP connections are set
    up to connect by Ethernet. Click here to connect by telephone modem."
    >I clicked OK and everything was fine. The problem is that now I can't
    >connect back to my network thru the ethernet connection.
    As long as your TCP/IP control panel is set to connect via: Ethernet and
    configure via DHCP, you should be fine--if TCP/IP is set up this way and your
    cable modem doesn't work, the problem isn't AOL's fault.
    > I've looked
    >at the TCP/IP settings, I've gone into the AOL Link settings and tried
    >to restore TCP/IP settings and nothing is working.
    To use your cable modem, connect via Ethernet and configure via DHCP; you
    should not have AOL Link selected.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]