Professional Web Applications Themes

AOL and pictures - Web Design

I created a web site in Pub 2003. Coverted it to a web page using the Pub 2003 and uploaded it. Problem: AOL people can not see the pictures. MS wanted me to change settings on AOL computers (how many computers would I have to reset?)Had problem before with Pub 1997 but with getting service pack 1 and 2 problem solved. So I am opening my Pub 2003 creation file using Pub 1997, convert it to a web page using Pub 1997 and upload. Result: AOL people now can see pictures. There are drawbacks doing this, like printing many emty ...

  1. #1

    Default AOL and pictures

    I created a web site in Pub 2003. Coverted it to a web
    page using the Pub 2003 and uploaded it. Problem: AOL
    people can not see the pictures. MS wanted me to change
    settings on AOL computers (how many computers would I
    have to reset?)Had problem before with Pub 1997 but with
    getting service pack 1 and 2 problem solved. So I am
    opening my Pub 2003 creation file using Pub 1997, convert
    it to a web page using Pub 1997 and upload. Result: AOL
    people now can see pictures. There are drawbacks doing
    this, like printing many emty pages when printing the web
    site and/but I really would like to use the Pub 2003 for
    conversion. What can I do? Bernd
    Bernd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AOL and pictures

    What's amatter with changing the settings on all those AOL computers? I am sure
    one setting M$ would like changed is the default browser on those machines.
    Another setting would be their ISP...

    It is interesting that after all the anti-trust problems M$ had, they still say
    crap like that. Publisher 2003 is meant to work with IE, and only IE,
    apparently.

    analog@logwell.com Guest

  3. #3

    I've experienced Publisher customers complaining about the AOL browser for
    years now in all the Pub versions. I myself have never used it nor tested in
    it but have always recommended to the customer to "dumb down" their
    Publisher web publication in the effort to try and obtain better browser
    support. The extent to which there exists a "dumbing down" differs by
    version. In v.2003 you can only turn off PNG and VML support under Tools,
    Options. One thing to note is that AOL is using IE as the browser engine and
    indeed is licensed to do so for the foreseeable future. So it's not really
    the browser at issue, it's AOL's proprietary system of image compression and
    caching that's built on. If you currently are using the VML option turn it
    off and resave and republish. The irony is that VML is at odds with AOL- VML
    is technology to create a richer higher fidelity image while AOL wants to
    strip an image to the bare bone.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Bernd" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I created a web site in Pub 2003. Coverted it to a web
    > page using the Pub 2003 and uploaded it. Problem: AOL
    > people can not see the pictures. MS wanted me to change
    > settings on AOL computers (how many computers would I
    > have to reset?)Had problem before with Pub 1997 but with
    > getting service pack 1 and 2 problem solved. So I am
    > opening my Pub 2003 creation file using Pub 1997, convert
    > it to a web page using Pub 1997 and upload. Result: AOL
    > people now can see pictures. There are drawbacks doing
    > this, like printing many emty pages when printing the web
    > site and/but I really would like to use the Pub 2003 for
    > conversion. What can I do? Bernd

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  4. #4

    What is truly ironic to me is that AOL acquired Netscape in 1999 and yet
    continues to us IE as its built-in browser.

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    "David Bartosik - MS MVP" <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote in message
    > I've experienced Publisher customers complaining about the AOL browser for
    > years now in all the Pub versions. I myself have never used it nor tested
    > in
    > it but have always recommended to the customer to "dumb down" their
    > Publisher web publication in the effort to try and obtain better browser
    > support. The extent to which there exists a "dumbing down" differs by
    > version. In v.2003 you can only turn off PNG and VML support under Tools,
    > Options. One thing to note is that AOL is using IE as the browser engine
    > and
    > indeed is licensed to do so for the foreseeable future. So it's not really
    > the browser at issue, it's AOL's proprietary system of image compression
    > and
    > caching that's built on. If you currently are using the VML option turn it
    > off and resave and republish. The irony is that VML is at odds with AOL-
    > VML
    > is technology to create a richer higher fidelity image while AOL wants to
    > strip an image to the bare bone.
    >
    > --
    > David Bartosik - MS MVP
    > for Publisher help:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]
    > enter to win Pub 2003:
    > [url]www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx[/url]
    >

    > "Bernd" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I created a web site in Pub 2003. Coverted it to a web
    >> page using the Pub 2003 and uploaded it. Problem: AOL
    >> people can not see the pictures. MS wanted me to change
    >> settings on AOL computers (how many computers would I
    >> have to reset?)Had problem before with Pub 1997 but with
    >> getting service pack 1 and 2 problem solved. So I am
    >> opening my Pub 2003 creation file using Pub 1997, convert
    >> it to a web page using Pub 1997 and upload. Result: AOL
    >> people now can see pictures. There are drawbacks doing
    >> this, like printing many emty pages when printing the web
    >> site and/but I really would like to use the Pub 2003 for
    >> conversion. What can I do? Bernd

    ---

    JoAnn Paules Guest