Professional Web Applications Themes

Apache::Test, Apache::Request, libapreq, mod_perl. Installation Problem. - PERL Modules

Hi everyone, If anyone has any insight into my problem, it would be much appreciated. I'm trying to install Scoop (scoop.kuro5hin.org) to run on my site but the perl modules that it requires have been giving me a huge headache. Scoop comes with an install script that is supposed to take care of the modules (using CPAN.pm), but I keep having errors pop up. I've managed to fix most of the problems by using a combination of the install script, using CPAN.pm directly and manually installing the modules. However, I've hit a bit of a roadblock with Apache::Request. It is ...

  1. #1

    Default Apache::Test, Apache::Request, libapreq, mod_perl. Installation Problem.

    Hi everyone,

    If anyone has any insight into my problem, it would be much
    appreciated. I'm trying to install Scoop (scoop.kuro5hin.org) to run on my
    site but the perl modules that it requires have been giving me a huge
    headache. Scoop comes with an install script that is supposed to take care
    of the modules (using CPAN.pm), but I keep having errors pop up. I've
    managed to fix most of the problems by using a combination of the install
    script, using CPAN.pm directly and manually installing the modules. However,
    I've hit a bit of a roadblock with Apache::Request. It is a required module
    for Scoop and for whatever reason, I can't install it. I can't seem to
    figure out what Apache::Request itself requires to have installed. I have
    mod_perl installed (it seems to be, anyway) and mod_perl compiled into
    Apache. If someone could tell me what the relation is between libapreq,
    Apache::Test and Apache::Request, I think it would make things much clearer
    for me. Those 3 modules come up as prerequisites for each other, but I can't
    figure out which to install first, and how, or what additional requirements
    it has. I've been doing this for about 3 days straight with increasing
    frustration and I'm really not thinking straight anymore. Please HELP! ;-)

    Daniel

    Daniel Torreblanca Guest

  2. #2

    > Assuming this is for mod_perl 1 (ie., Apache 1.3), libapreq is the
    > name of the CPAN distribution that contains the modules Apache::Request
    > and Apache::Cookie. This requires mod_perl to build. The tests for
    > libapreq were recently changed to use Apache::Test, which is a separate
    > package on CPAN used to test Apache modules. You might try installing,
    > in order, mod_perl, then Apache::Test, and then libapreq (ie,
    > Apache::Request).
    >
    > If this is for mod_perl 2 (ie, Apache 2.0), the port of Apache::Request
    > isn't quite ready yet.
    >
    > best regards,
    > randy kobes

    Thanks a lot, I came to that conclusion myself, and the problem seems to
    be that Apache::Test doesn't pass any of the tests (is that ironic?), so I
    guess that the problem might be with mod_perl, which won't pass any of its
    tests either. I get the error:

    [Fri Jul 25 20:14:22 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied:
    access to /test.html failed because search permissions are missing on a
    component of the path

    Which I have some trouble figuring out. I don't know if its permissions
    in the context of my box (I'm running everything as root, except Apache
    during the tests which runs as nobody, group wheel), or permissions on the
    Apache server itself. I'm totally stumped. Everytime I fix something,
    something else goes wrong.

    Daniel

    Daniel Torreblanca Guest

  3. #3

    "Daniel Torreblanca" <goaway.com> wrote in message
    news:DpHUa.51859$vz%.30383news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...

    > > Assuming this is for mod_perl 1 (ie., Apache 1.3), libapreq is the
    > > name of the CPAN distribution that contains the modules Apache::Request
    > > and Apache::Cookie. This requires mod_perl to build. The tests for
    > > libapreq were recently changed to use Apache::Test, which is a separate
    > > package on CPAN used to test Apache modules. You might try installing,
    > > in order, mod_perl, then Apache::Test, and then libapreq (ie,
    > > Apache::Request).
    > >
    > > If this is for mod_perl 2 (ie, Apache 2.0), the port of Apache::Request
    > > isn't quite ready yet.
    > >

    > Thanks a lot, I came to that conclusion myself, and the problem seems
    > be that Apache::Test doesn't pass any of the tests (is that ironic?), so I
    > guess that the problem might be with mod_perl, which won't pass any of its
    > tests either. I get the error:
    >
    > [Fri Jul 25 20:14:22 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
    denied:
    > access to /test.html failed because search permissions are missing on a
    > component of the path
    >
    > Which I have some trouble figuring out. I don't know if its permissions
    > in the context of my box (I'm running everything as root, except Apache
    > during the tests which runs as nobody, group wheel), or permissions on the
    > Apache server itself. I'm totally stumped. Everytime I fix something,
    > something else goes wrong.
    I don't think the problems with Apache::Test and mod_perl are
    necessarily related; for one thing, mod_perl 1 doesn't use Apache::Test
    (mod_perl 2 does), and also, Apache::Test doesn't require mod_perl.

    What were the problems you had with Apache::Test? Were they
    also one of permissions? You might try unpacking, building, and
    testing all of these packages as some user other than root, only
    becoming root to install things; there have been some problems
    reported with testing these as root. Also, if you have more than
    one httpd on your system (eg, a 1.3 and a 2.0 version), you might
    have to tell these packages explicitly which one to use - for example,
    for mod_perl 1, specify the right APACHE_SRC Makefile.PL
    value, and for Apache::Test, there's a -httpd option when running
    the tests to specify the location of the httpd you want.

    You might want to take this to the mod_perl mailing list (see
    [url]http://perl.apache.org/[/url] for details on how to subscribe), as
    someone there might have encountered a similar problem.

    best regards,
    randy

    Randy Kobes Guest