Professional Web Applications Themes

App for erasing CDs? (not cdrw's) - Mac Applications & Software

Is there an application (or, indeed, is it possible at all) that will burn all 1's, 0's, or random data to a disc that contains data? Sort of like some applications available for hard disks to "incinerate" data. Most burning apps recognize the disc as a CD and say something like "only a CDRW can be erased". Thanks, -- Dave C com...

  1. #1

    Default App for erasing CDs? (not cdrw's)

    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: App for erasing CDs? (not cdrw's)

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Stick it in a microwave. Preferably, someone else's. Then break it
    into little bits and throw them out in widely scattered locations.

    --
    You are what you eat, therefore, I'm a vegetable! Cows and chickens
    and Pop Tarts are too.

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <com> wrote:

    you can't erase a cdr; the only option is destroy it.

    microwave it for a few seconds, sandpaper off the top layer or snap it
    into pieces (careful - the edges can be very sharp) or some combination
    thereof.

    or, if you have money to waste,
    <http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10066>
    <http://www.proton-eng.com/optical_eraser1200.htm>
    nospam Guest

  4. #4

    DaveC <com> wrote:

    An incinerator. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  5. #5

    Break the CD in half or (for really cool looking coasters) stick them in
    the microwave for (no more then) 2 seconds.

    (DISCLAIMER: If you actually stick the CD in the microwave, you do so at
    your own risk! I take no responsibility for any damage to any item that
    may be caused by doing so)

    Scott Guest

  6. #6

    DaveC <com> writes:
    [...]

    One word: torch.

    It's quite difficult to extra data from a blob of twisted plastic.

    --
    David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/
    David Guest

  7. #7

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    You have to physically destroy it. My paper shredder does a fine job on CDs
    George Guest

  8. #8

    Wouldn't one good scratch with a penknife- from the center out- do it?

    m-m
    M-M Guest

  9. #9

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Yeah, there's one available. It's called "Microwave 1.0".

    Here's the complete instructions from the ReadMe file:

    Place CD in center of microwave oven, label side down.

    Set oven for "high" (or "Max", or whatever your oven calls its highest
    setting) using whatever method is specified by your oven's manufacturer.

    Set oven timer to 15 seconds by either twisting the dial, pressing the
    appropriate keys on the keypad, or other manufacturer-specified method.

    Press whatever button makes you oven begin heating. (Usually this is the
    "start" or "cook" button, but may be labeled differently by different
    manufacturers)

    After approximately 7 seconds, you should start hearing crackles, pops,
    sizzles, and buzzes. Do not worry. This is normal. If you look through
    the window of the oven at this time, you may see evidence that the
    program is working, in the form of bright sparkles dancing around on the
    CD. Do not be alarmed. This is normal program behavior. The crcakling
    and other sounds may decrese, or even stop completely, after
    approsimately 10 seconds, or it may continue for the full 15 seconds.
    The latter, however, is unlikely for any but the very sturdiest CDs,
    which may require a second run of the program (After no less than a 5
    (FIVE) minute delay) to completely erase.

    When oven stops, carefully remove CD. (CAUTION: CD MAY BE HOT)

    Your CD has now been erased in a manner that is extremely unlikely to
    leave any data that will be recoverable by any method now known, or any
    method likely to be invented in the forseeable future. For REALLY
    sensitive information, you may wish to repeat the process to lower the
    possibility even further, although no evidence is available to suggest
    that doing so will be any more effective than a single run of the
    program on each CD you wish to erase. Then again, no evidence is
    available to suggest that it will be less effective, either.

    CAUTION:
    Your microwave oven may be damaged by excessive use of this program.
    This is a known bug, with no available workaround other than never
    running this program for longer than 20 seconds per session. Do not run
    the program more frequently than once every 5 minutes. Do not allow ths
    program to run unattended or automatically, and do not allow its use by
    children. Do not take internally. May cause drowsiness. Do not operate a
    motor vehicle while running this program.

    Comments, suggestions, and bug reports may be sent to /dev/null for
    careful review and possible action.

    This program is offered with no warranty of any kind, including that of
    fitness for purpose or merchantability, in hopes that it will be useful.
    If it isn't, you are entitled to a refund (less shipping and handling
    charges, and a 15% restocking fee) of any money paid for it.

    Under no cirstances can the author of this program be held liable for
    any damage, of any kind, under any legal theory, now existent, or to be
    developed in the future, for any consequences of this program's
    misbehavior. While it has been tested on a limited number of machines,
    your machine and its specific options and settings may not have been
    available for testing, so we, the authors, have no choice but to wish
    you the best of luck. You pays yer nickel, you takes yer chance. You
    have been warned. Caveat Emptor. E Pluribus Unum, Novus Ordo Seclorum,
    yadda-yadda-yadda, bibbity-bobbity-boo, ipso-facto, dominus ominous POOF!

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  10. #10

    Don Bruder wrote:

    > Yeah, there's one available. It's called "Microwave 1.0".
    >
    > Here's the complete instructions from the ReadMe file:
    >
    > Place CD in center of microwave oven, label side down.
    >
    > Set oven for "high" (or "Max", or whatever your oven calls its highest
    > setting) using whatever method is specified by your oven's manufacturer.[/ref]

    You mean "Macs"?
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  11. #11

    Don Bruder <net> writes:

    See also http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/cdzap.html
    Results are at the bottom of the page.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  12. #12

    M-M <more> wrote:

    No.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  13. #13

    In article <1g2644v.klqjdh19aok82N%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > No.[/ref]

    Elaborate?

    m-m
    M-M Guest

  14. #14

    In article <magda.ca>,
    David Magda <dmagda+ryerson.ca> wrote:

    How 'bout a shredder?

  15. #15

    In article <QtIeb.2846$newsread.com>,
    M-M <more> wrote:

    No, that would only destroy a thin sliver of data. The drive might be
    able to reconstruct the missing bits, thanks to error correction.

    I scrape the label side a LOT with a sharp knife. It usually peels &
    flakes off, including the silvery reflective layer, so I do it over a
    wastebasket. Scrubbing it with co sandpaper will have a similar
    effect. If you scrape off most of the reflective layer, it'll be damned
    near impossible for anyone to recover any data from that disc.
    Wayne Guest

  16. #16

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Howard Shubs <net> wrote:

    > How 'bout a shredder?[/ref]

    I remember having seen one - not really a shredder, but two cylinders
    with matching grooves essentially bending it very sharply every few
    millimeters while running the CD between them.
    Should do the trick without many risks.
    Small and not very expensive (some 50 USD).

    Check google with "CD destroyer" for a selection from 10 USD to 5000 USD.
    eg http://shop.store./bindertek/cddestroyer.html for mid-range

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  17. #17

    M-M <more> wrote:

    > > No.[/ref]
    >
    > Elaborate?[/ref]

    What's to elaborate? That won't do it.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  18. #18

    George Tirebiter <net> wrote:

    > You have to physically destroy it. My paper shredder does a fine job on CDs[/ref]

    Are you still eating groat cakes, George?
    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  19. #19

    In article <1g27385.ln44utd3whcyN%oink>,
    oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

    > > You have to physically destroy it. My paper shredder does a fine job on
    > > CDs[/ref]
    >
    > Are you still eating groat cakes, George?[/ref]

    Shoes for industry, compadre!
    George Guest

  20. #20

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:27:39 -0400, Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    >> Elaborate?[/ref]
    >
    > What's to elaborate? That won't do it.[/ref]

    Right. It might make the CD so it can't be read by someone who is
    bored & wants to see what's on it, but someone with the right motivations
    and tools could certainly get data off of it.

    It depends on how good-enough you want to erase it. The paper shredder
    idea sounds good to me, might try that next time. Microwaving disks
    might be hard on the microwave, and makes the interior of it stink for
    a while.

    Dave Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast