Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple airport base station DHCP / DNS problems. - Mac Networking

hi everyone, im using an apple airport base station (v4.0.8), connected to a cable modem, in its capacity as a router to share internet traffic on my home network. the setup is as follows, the airport is connected to the cable modem via the WAN port, and connected to a hub/switch via the LAN port. a mac laptop is connected via a wireless airport card, and two pc's are connected via the switch. the airport is setup to connect via ethernet using DHCP. it is also set to distribute ip addresses and share a single ip address (via DHCP and ...

  1. #1

    Default Apple airport base station DHCP / DNS problems.

    hi everyone,

    im using an apple airport base station (v4.0.8), connected to a cable
    modem, in its capacity as a router to share internet traffic on my
    home network.

    the setup is as follows, the airport is connected to the cable modem
    via the WAN port, and connected to a hub/switch via the LAN port. a
    mac laptop is connected via a wireless airport card, and two pc's are
    connected via the switch. the airport is setup to connect via ethernet
    using DHCP. it is also set to distribute ip addresses and share a
    single ip address (via DHCP and NAT).

    this was configured about a week ago and has been running fine without
    any problems during that time, but in the process of finalising the
    setup i ran into a strange problem.

    seeing as the airport had been used to connect to the internet via a
    modem in its previous life, i decided to create a new configuration
    (using the pc version of the airport admin tool, and specifying the
    internet/ethernet setup and network setup mentioned above) to clear
    out all the old dial up settings and update the airport with only the
    necessary internet / ethernet, network settings (now i realise this
    was an unnecessary step, but it seemed like a good idea at the time).

    but when i created, imported, and updated the airport with the new
    configuration, i noticed that the ethernet connection to the cable
    modem no longer appeared to be retrieving DNS settings from my ISP,
    and that the airport stopped functioning as a DHCP server. in testing
    the new configuration i noted that the internet still seemed to be
    working, but all the computers on the internal network were no longer
    being assigned ip addresses.

    i then imported and restored the previous settings, and everything
    returned to normal. i then double checked the new and old
    configurations, and aside from the details entered in the modem
    sections, they appeared to be exactly the same.

    my main question here is, does anyone have any idea what happened
    during this process, why these problems occurred, and if i missed
    something here that would explain these problems.

    my main concern is that i have no idea what caused this problem or
    what is going on here at all, im completely in the dark on this one,
    as it just seems to make no sense to me at all. and that being the
    case i figure that even though the airport seems to be working at the
    moment, its quite possible that its faulty, or perhaps not set up
    correctly, and that this could cause problems later on down the track.

    is it possible that the pc config tool could be responsible for the
    problems, i.e. it isn't written as well as its mac equivalent, and
    didn't quite implement the updates correctly. or is it possible i
    missed an area of configuration that i assumed wasn't important, but
    actually is ?

    any ideas, suggestions, or answers anyone can give me here would be
    greatly appreciated.

    thanks,

    chris
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple airport base station DHCP / DNS problems.

    Chris <chrisrgo.to> wrote:
    > im using an apple airport base station (v4.0.8), connected to a cable
    > modem, in its capacity as a router to share internet traffic on my
    > home network.
    > is it possible that the pc config tool could be responsible for the
    > problems, i.e. it isn't written as well as its mac equivalent, and
    > didn't quite implement the updates correctly. or is it possible i
    > missed an area of configuration that i assumed wasn't important, but
    > actually is ?
    I don't think so. However it seems you messed up the settings a bit.

    1) the cable modem should get the IP address dynamically from the
    provider, just as the old dial up modem did.

    2) the airport base just gets the official IP address "forwarded" from
    the cable modem

    3) the airport base needs to "translate" the single IP address to the
    local addresses (which it distributes via DHCP). These local addresses
    need to be in the private ranges as defined by the "internet
    authorities" - 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.1.x.x.

    I don't know if this info helps, but it is always a good thing to know
    what should go on.

    Christian.

    --
    Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana: <http://www.chance-for-children.org>

  3. #3

    [email]christian030801rumantsch.ch[/email] (Christian) wrote in message news:<1fzlscx.1ddhx721mvrts0Nchristian.rumantsch. ch>...
    > Chris <chrisrgo.to> wrote:
    >
    > > im using an apple airport base station (v4.0.8), connected to a cable
    > > modem, in its capacity as a router to share internet traffic on my
    > > home network.
    > > is it possible that the pc config tool could be responsible for the
    > > problems, i.e. it isn't written as well as its mac equivalent, and
    > > didn't quite implement the updates correctly. or is it possible i
    > > missed an area of configuration that i assumed wasn't important, but
    > > actually is ?
    >
    > I don't think so. However it seems you messed up the settings a bit.
    >
    > 1) the cable modem should get the IP address dynamically from the
    > provider, just as the old dial up modem did.
    >
    > 2) the airport base just gets the official IP address "forwarded" from
    > the cable modem
    >
    > 3) the airport base needs to "translate" the single IP address to the
    > local addresses (which it distributes via DHCP). These local addresses
    > need to be in the private ranges as defined by the "internet
    > authorities" - 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.1.x.x.
    >
    > I don't know if this info helps, but it is always a good thing to know
    > what should go on.
    >
    > Christian.
    hi christian,

    from what i can tell, the cable modem just acts as an interface
    between the cable and the network card / port. when i plug it into the
    airport, and set the airport to connect via ethernet, its the airport
    thats assigned the "real world" ip address, or so it seems. in either
    case im reasonably certain the config (connect via ethernet) would be
    the same. in addition the airport does assign the local ip addresses
    via DHCP (10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.4, with the airport itself being 10.0.1.1)
    and it does route traffic between the "real world" ip and these local
    ip's.

    the problem im having is that when i import and update the new config
    (which is seemingly identical to the old config) the airport stops
    assigning local ip addresses (even though its configured to do so) and
    appears to cease picking up the DNS server details via DHCP (even
    though the DNS still appears to work). its like the process of
    updating the airport itself causes a problem. but then again im no
    expert.

    chris
    Chris Guest