Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple - if you're reading - 10.3 Wish List - Mac Applications & Software

This is probably too late to expect to get w 10.3 's original release, but some simple little conveniences to add to 10.3 or 10.3.2 or 10.3.5 or...: I'd gladly trade "Recent Applications" for "Recent Folders" in the Apple Menu let me control+click on an item to give the option to "Move To..." then branch to those "Recent Folders" mentioned above Some kind of Disc Cataloguing Application for keeping rack of what is on what discs allow the modem to dial a number direct from address book let me drag an item to the volume / folder icon at the ...

  1. #1

    Default Apple - if you're reading - 10.3 Wish List

    This is probably too late to expect to get w 10.3 's original release,
    but some simple little conveniences to add to 10.3 or 10.3.2 or 10.3.5
    or...:

    I'd gladly trade "Recent Applications" for "Recent Folders" in the Apple
    Menu

    let me control+click on an item to give the option to "Move To..." then
    branch to those "Recent Folders" mentioned above

    Some kind of Disc Cataloguing Application for keeping rack of what is on
    what discs

    allow the modem to dial a number direct from address book

    let me drag an item to the volume / folder icon at the top of a window
    to relocate it to the root level of that window - something I could do
    in OS 9

    enhanced FTP

    little stuff, but loveable stuff.

    Thanks--
    Jane Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple - if you're reading - 10.3 Wish List

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > You can do that with an addon I think is called FruitMenu.[/ref]

    I know there's FruitMenu and other modifiers, but it would be nice for
    all of these I listed to be just built into 10.3...

    > That'd be nice. You can make a folder full of aliases to your favorite
    > places and put it in the Dock.... Actually (I don't use this feature)
    > but I think there's a "Favorites" icon at the top of every window in
    > OS X. Surely you can add everyplace you want to your Favorites...[/ref]

    Sometimes I'm working with a couple recently made folders for a short
    spell and it should just flow for me to have them where I want it and
    push the stuff there without drilling for them, creating the aliases,
    etc.

    > That'd be nice, but maybe overspecialized. There are lots of 3rd-party
    > apps that do that.[/ref]

    Again, I think the world is ready for a built-in disc cataloguer as we
    move into burning data onto DVDs and it should be just one of those
    "over a hundred new applications", that's always hyped up, but not
    always really that handy - don't get me wrong - I love things like iChat
    AV, but you can only run it with a select few - (mostly iSighters, with
    Macs, with G3 600+ rigs, with broadband) and *that's* really getting
    *specialized*.

    And while we're at it, Apple - iTunes for PC, iChat AV for PC, and
    someway to me to leave my rig on at home so I can play my iTunes library
    via broadband to my PC rig at work - oh brother - watch them come out of
    the woodwork on this...

    > It doesn't?[/ref]

    Try it on your rig - it never worked on mine and I feel like in 2003
    this should be happening natively without shareware...
    Jane Guest

  3. #3

    In article <240820031702378308%com>,
    Philo D <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I'd like to drag to a folder in the dock, and have the folder spring
    > open (like any other folder), not evasively move to the side...[/ref]

    I can do that in 10.2.6. I have my Applications Folder on the dock
    (actually, I think it's a link to the folder...), and I can do this
    easily.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  4. #4

    In article <his.com>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    Ya know, once I learned the shortuts for "Home, "Applications",
    "Favorites", and "Connect to Server..." I never really bothered with the
    Go menu.

    That's so beautiful, I'm glad I vented and thanks for pointing that out,
    Kevin.

    I love my Macworld about ten times more right now...
    Jane Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 03:31:46 GMT, com (David C.) wrote:

    But you can drop something in there then click the folder in the Dock
    and it'll open.... I think...

    forge Guest

  6. #6

    In article <panix.com>, Alice
    Faber <com> wrote:

    > > But you can drop something in there then click the folder in the Dock
    > > and it'll open.... I think...
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > It will. I just checked.[/ref]

    Once again... YOU CANNOT DRAG SOMETHING TO A FOLDER IN THE DOCK and
    have it spring open. That is my wish for 10.3.
    Philo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <250820031109097339%com>,
    Philo D <com> wrote:

    You might try draging something like your Applications folder to the
    dock, then click it, holding the click for a second (or a bit less?) to
    see what happens.

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  8. #8

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    Rod Smith <com> wrote:

    > You might try draging something like your Applications folder to the
    > dock, then click it, holding the click for a second (or a bit less?) to
    > see what happens.[/ref]

    You're not getting it.

    Drag something *to* a folder *already* in the Dock. The folder *in the
    Dock* doesn't spring open as it would if you dragged to a folder on the
    desktop or in a Finder window.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  9. #9

    In article <telus.net>,
    Alan Baker <net> wrote:

    The folder on the desktop or in a Finder window doesn't spring open
    instantly, BTW; you have to wait for it to do so.

    I agree, though, that it would be good if the folder alias in the dock
    behaved the same.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  10. #10

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > The folder on the desktop or in a Finder window doesn't spring open
    > instantly, BTW; you have to wait for it to do so.[/ref]

    Hit the spacebar...

  11. #11

    Michelle Steiner <org> writes:

    And if you drag to a folder in the Dock, it doesn't spring open at
    all.

    I fail to understand why you can't see any difference between the two
    behaviors.

    Yes, you can click on the Dock folder to open in afterwards, but that
    doesn't really help. The point of spring-loaded folders is that you
    can keep on dragging down into deeper and deeper folders, and each
    one will pop open in turn. And then when you finally drop, they all

    -- David
    David Guest

  12. #12

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    > And if you drag to a folder in the Dock, it doesn't spring open at
    > all.
    >
    > I fail to understand why you can't see any difference between the two
    > behaviors.[/ref]

    If you had actually read my message, you would have seen that I do see
    the difference between the two.

    The very next sentence after the one you quoted said, "I agree, though,
    that it would be good if the folder alias in the dock behaved the same."

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  13. #13

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Jane <SPAMcom> wrote:

    APPLE DO NOT REACT TO THINGS POSTED IN THIS GROUP !

    If you want to communicate with Apple, send them an email.
    We are not Apple. We have no more influence over Apple
    than you do.

    Simon Guest

  14. #14

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:09:09 -0400, Philo D
    <com> wrote:

    >> It will. I just checked.[/ref]
    >
    >Once again... YOU CANNOT DRAG SOMETHING TO A FOLDER IN THE DOCK and
    >have it spring open. That is my wish for 10.3.[/ref]

    Yeah, but drag, drop, then click the folder in the dock, is that such
    a huge difference?
    forge Guest

  15. #15

    <com> wrote:

    >> It will. I just checked.[/ref]
    >
    >Once again... YOU CANNOT DRAG SOMETHING TO A FOLDER IN THE DOCK and
    >have it spring open. That is my wish for 10.3.[/ref]

    Oh wait, you want it to spring open so you can put something inside a
    folder inside it. Okay, yeah, whatever.
    forge Guest

  16. #16

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > Yeah, but drag, drop, then click the folder in the dock, is that such
    > a huge difference?[/ref]

    He does have a minor point. With folders on the Desktop or in a Finder
    window, you can drag to the folder, wait for it to open (or press the
    space bar to open it immediately) and then "drill down" through nested
    folders until you reach the folder you want.

    You can't do this with the folder alias in the dock. But then again,
    you can't do it with folders in the Apple or Application menu in OS 9.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  17. #17

    In article <com>, forge
    <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    Finally you understood. I wonder if Apple can understand now?
    Philo Guest

  18. #18

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >>Once again... YOU CANNOT DRAG SOMETHING TO A FOLDER IN THE DOCK and
    >>have it spring open. That is my wish for 10.3.[/ref]
    >
    >Yeah, but drag, drop, then click the folder in the dock, is that such
    >a huge difference?[/ref]

    Yes, it is a huge difference. He is not necessarily trying to copy
    something directly into the docked folder. Rather, he wants it to spring
    open so that he can (a) see if that is where he wants to drop something
    or (b) spring open a nested folder in that folder. This is simply the
    old OS9 spring loaded folders that do, in fact, work in OSX. However,
    this behavior does _not_ work for folders in the dock. It only works for
    icons on the desktop.

    You can simply try this yourself and you will be enlightened. Drag
    something over a hard drive icon on the desktop, but don't drop it.
    After a couple of seconds the window will spring open. You can repeat on
    nested folders springing open window all over the place. Then you can
    drop that something there or not and all those windows will close. This
    does not work for items on the dock.

    ----
    John S. Heaney
    voice & fax (401) 438-4288
    I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world, but to protect the world from me.
    John Guest

  19. #19

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >> Yeah, but drag, drop, then click the folder in the dock, is that such
    >> a huge difference?[/ref]
    >
    >He does have a minor point. With folders on the Desktop or in a Finder
    >window, you can drag to the folder, wait for it to open (or press the
    >space bar to open it immediately) and then "drill down" through nested
    >folders until you reach the folder you want.
    >
    >You can't do this with the folder alias in the dock. But then again,
    >you can't do it with folders in the Apple or Application menu in OS 9.[/ref]

    But you can do it with OS9 pop-up windows, which I think is more
    ogous. Drag to a tab and it pops open.

    ----

  20. #20

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    John Heaney <com> wrote:

    > But you can do it with OS9 pop-up windows, which I think is more
    > ogous. Drag to a tab and it pops open.[/ref]

    Popup windows are on the desktop or in Finder Windows; the Dock isn't.
    Therein lies the difference. I hope that Apple does add it to the dock
    folder and disk icons because I'd like to have it there also.

    But right now, it doesn't happen.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest