Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple Mail and the mystery of the yellow message heading - Mac Networking

Hello, I use Apple Mail on a Mac OS X (10.3.2-Panther) AlBook and I have various e-mail accounts-some POP and one Exchange (at work). Occasionally I receive messages which appear with a yellow heading, which I find particularly distasteful and bothersome. I haven't found in any doc, help etc., how to turn off that dreadful electric yellow. The messages are all sent by Outlook PCs, but they do not contain HTML (and anyway the colour is in the heading, containing subject, address from which it was sent, etc, not in the body). Any good soul would happen to know how ...

  1. #1

    Default Apple Mail and the mystery of the yellow message heading

    Hello,

    I use Apple Mail on a Mac OS X (10.3.2-Panther) AlBook and I have
    various e-mail accounts-some POP and one Exchange (at work).
    Occasionally I receive messages which appear with a yellow heading,
    which I find particularly distasteful and bothersome.
    I haven't found in any doc, help etc., how to turn off that dreadful
    electric yellow. The messages are all sent by Outlook PCs, but they do
    not contain HTML (and anyway the colour is in the heading, containing
    subject, address from which it was sent, etc, not in the body).
    Any good soul would happen to know how to get rid of this dreadful
    yellow?
    BTW, I do not use the Apple Mail junk filter (it's turned off in the
    preferences), so it's not junk mail tagging, and the long headers do
    not show anything particularly odd.

    Any good soul has got any clue as to the cause?

    Thank you.

    ThufirHawat
    ThufirHawat Guest

  2. #2

    ThufirHawat wrote:
    <<stuff Deleted>>

    I'm not familiar with apple mail but I'm willing to guess that it
    has to do with the priority level setting of the email message. I
    use Netscape and only mail items of "normal" priority display in
    black. There is a "highest", "high", "low", and "lowest"
    priority, all of which have their own colors.

    Check it out by looking at the priority attribute of the next
    yellow message you get. Or better yet, send yourself a bunch of
    test messages, each with a different priority level and see how
    they are received.

    There must be some filtering mechanism on Apple Mail where you
    could set a filter to say something like: "if *priority* *is not*
    *normal* then *set priority* to *normal*" or some equivalent.

    This is fairly easy to do on many browsers.

    - Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  3. #3

    In article <net>, Jeff Wiseman
    <net> wrote:

    > <<stuff Deleted>>
    >

    > I'm not familiar with apple mail but I'm willing to guess that it
    > has to do with the priority level setting of the email message. I
    > use Netscape and only mail items of "normal" priority display in
    > black. There is a "highest", "high", "low", and "lowest"
    > priority, all of which have their own colors.
    >
    > Check it out by looking at the priority attribute of the next
    > yellow message you get. Or better yet, send yourself a bunch of
    > test messages, each with a different priority level and see how
    > they are received.
    >
    > There must be some filtering mechanism on Apple Mail where you
    > could set a filter to say something like: "if *priority* *is not*
    > *normal* then *set priority* to *normal*" or some equivalent.[/ref]

    Thanks Jeff-you hit smack on the mark, it was indeed the blasted
    priority.
    Panther Mail has no rule based on priority, but it understands 'color'.

    I therefore introduced a general rule that, for every single message,
    sets the text color (one can also modify the background color) to not
    offending black.

    I must say, however, that Panther Mail is truly poor as to doc
    (conceived for braindead zombies with the IQ of a frozen squid) and as
    to tuning capabilities (ah, good ol' Eudora, by now decrepit and
    decomposing...).

    Thank you so much again. If ever I can help you just yell (I am more
    versed in system stuff, BTW).

    Best regards,

    ThufirHawat
    ThufirHawat Guest