Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple Mail deficiencies - Mac Applications & Software

I would prefer to use Apple software as much as possible. Especially instead of Microsoft. But I can't find much fault with Entourage which does newsgroups and has a built in calendar, as well as full mail functionality all in one application. Apple forces me to run four applications for the same functionality: Mail, iCal, Address Book and a newsgroup reader. Apple Mail does not do newsgroups I discovered. While the integration is good it clutters up the Dock to have to run them all. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but they seem to have done it right....

  1. #1

    Default Apple Mail deficiencies

    I would prefer to use Apple software as much as possible. Especially instead
    of Microsoft. But I can't find much fault with Entourage which does
    newsgroups and has a built in calendar, as well as full mail functionality
    all in one application.
    Apple forces me to run four applications for the same functionality: Mail,
    iCal, Address Book and a newsgroup reader. Apple Mail does not do newsgroups
    I discovered. While the integration is good it clutters up the Dock to have
    to run them all.
    I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, but they seem to have done it right.

    Doug Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple Mail deficiencies

    In article <BB7E3763.9597%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    What you see as a deficiency, I see as a difference in philosophy. I'd
    rather have individual tools that are good at their tasks and that
    integrate well that one "do everything" app. Back on OS9 I used Outlook
    Express as my mail reader. And hated it as a news reader; it was
    bersome and completely incompetent in dealing with newsgroup servers
    that kept around a lot of old content.

    Besides, it's Microsoft's "tie it all together" approach that allowed a
    lot of the worms such an easy in. By passing around bits of
    automatically executed code for services like calendaring, those tools
    gave troublemakers a way to take control. It's hardly a coincidence
    that all of the virii/worms that can affect Mac OS X use flaws in
    Microsoft applications as their engine.

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  3. #3

    Doug Day:

    Avoid dogmatism. Aldous Huxley called dogmatism (if I may paraphrase) a
    great motivator and justifier of malice and stupidity.

    Exactly. I've tried 'em all and Entourage rules for its mail and
    calendar; its newsreading I can live without (though I use it once in a
    blue moon.)

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BB7E3763.9597%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    I don't use iCal, or need its functions. I don't understand why mail
    and calendar scheduling should be in the same application, anyway; I
    just do not see how they are related.

    Having a separate address book means only one address file for many
    applications (FAX, messaging, mail, etc.). And considering that most
    stand-alone news readers are vastly superior to the one in Entourage, I
    don't miss the integration of the two that Entourage has.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Hank Shiffman <org> wrote:

    > What you see as a deficiency, I see as a difference in philosophy. I'd
    > rather have individual tools that are good at their tasks and that
    > integrate well that one "do everything" app.[/ref]

    (snipped)

    .. . . I agree. Designing individual tools for individual tasks has
    always been a better philosophy, provided they work in harmony with each
    other (which Apple's software suite does). All-in-one design does not
    tend to produce quality, and from a usability standpoint I find
    Entourage's interface too cluttered. I much prefer using Mail, just as I
    much prefer using a tungsten blade driver over a Swiss army knife.
    The latter is useful only when nothing better is available.

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  6. #6

    On 9/5/03 1:59 PM, in article
    west.cox.net, "Michelle Steiner"
    <org> wrote:

    > I don't use iCal, or need its functions. I don't understand why mail
    > and calendar scheduling should be in the same application, anyway; I
    > just do not see how they are related.[/ref]
    I suppose it could be because many of the events, meeting or appointments we
    need to remember arrive via mail.
    Good point. Guess I should try a different newsreader. Entourage seems
    pretty functional but perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.

    Doug Guest

  7. #7

    On 9/5/03 2:03 PM, in article
    islandnet.com, "GDB" <ca> wrote:

    >> What you see as a deficiency, I see as a difference in philosophy. I'd
    >> rather have individual tools that are good at their tasks and that
    >> integrate well that one "do everything" app.[/ref]
    >
    > (snipped)
    >
    > . . . I agree. Designing individual tools for individual tasks has
    > always been a better philosophy, provided they work in harmony with each
    > other (which Apple's software suite does). All-in-one design does not
    > tend to produce quality, and from a usability standpoint I find
    > Entourage's interface too cluttered. I much prefer using Mail, just as I
    > much prefer using a tungsten blade driver over a Swiss army knife.
    > The latter is useful only when nothing better is available.
    >
    > Glenn[/ref]
    I agree that doing one thing and doing it well is a good idea but is the
    functionality of Mail really much better than that in Entourage? And
    aren't' newsgroups a kind of mail which Mail should handle?

    Doug Guest

  8. #8

    In <BB7E4BD4.95EC%rr.com>
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    Usenet is not email.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  9. #9

    In article <BB7E4BD4.95EC%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    Is it $100 worth better?

    Newsgroups aren't mail.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  10. #10

    In article <BB7E4B0B.95EA%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    Try MT NewsWatcher.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  11. #11

    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    Not at all. This only works for your own use.

    Personally I use iCal, as I have very modest calender needs, and iCal
    will pop up reminders when it's not running, so you don't *have* to
    leave it running all the time.

    I use MacSOUP for usenet, there isn't anything else that can beat the
    grphical thread display.

    I am torn between using Mail and Eudoral for Email, although I tend to
    prefer Eudora on speed and features grounds - except for the terrible
    HTML handling. Mail I like a lot, and IMHO is very often disregarded for
    the wrong reasons. It uses standard mail files, and has been reliable on
    my system. Unless you are a 'power' user, Mail is quite adequate, and
    its junk filter is second to none. It is a bit slow though, but its
    integration with the Address book is nice.

    I agree that they are lacking in the news reader bit, but I've yet to
    find a combined mail and news client that really can do both jobs well
    enough.

    For an all-in-one app, I prefer Mozilla myself, but it's news reader
    isn't any better than Entourage.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)

  12. #12

    In article <BB7E4BD4.95EC%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    I'd say Entourage's email client does more than Mail. However, it
    doesn't do it as well.

    I used Entourage until Jaguar. Now, I use Mail and the various Apple
    apps exclusively. The focus in Mail is worth the loss of some of the
    Entourage features.
    Steven Guest

  13. #13

    In article <BB7E3763.9597%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    If your only complaint about using a suite rather than a monolithic app
    is the dock, you should really pause and reconsider. Just having windows
    of the same type grouped together and accessible through command-tab
    makes the suite a better solution for me. A couple extra icons in the
    dock -- and I rarely run Address Book, for instance -- are worth the
    convenience and organization that comes with them to me.

    If you have the applications always in your dock for easy launching,
    that's your real problem. :) I suggest putting a folder in the dock, and
    putting aliases to the applications you frequently use in that folder. I
    keep only my email client on my dock.

    YMMV of course!
    Steven Guest

  14. #14

    Doug Day <rr.com> writes:

    I read news and mail in the same program (gnus). It treats
    newsgroups and mail folders basically the same. There are
    enough things in common between mail and news that keeping
    them mixed together is not quite insane. Mixing them up
    with one's web browser, though, or calendar, can get messy.

    You might take a look into what's happening in Mozilla world.

    Mozilla has web browser, ICQ, mail, newsgroups, HTML editor,
    etc all rolled into one.

    Firebird has split off the browser. And very very nice - it's
    what I use 99% of the time on my linux box. The OS X version
    is still pretty sluggish, though, so I usually use camino and/or
    safari there.

    ThunderBird is the split off mail and newsgroup program and
    the OS X version looks pretty good. I've just installed it
    to play around and it's got huge potential.

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  15. #15

    Doug Day wrote:

    "Do one thing. Do it very well, and then move on."

    This is, in my opinion, the greatest strength of unix and the greatest
    weakness of Microsoft. Email and Usenet are distinctly different
    beasts. So is calendaring, web browsing, multimedia playback, etc. I'd
    rather have twenty applications each of which is outstanding at
    performing its appointed task with an interface that makes sense without
    applying an invalid metaphor in the name of "interface consistency" than
    have a single one-size-fits-all application that is at best adequate at
    many of its tasks and s at most.

    Note that this philosophy applies to hardware as well. I don't want a
    gadget which is a half-assed camera, a half-assed PDA, a half-assed
    cellphone, and a half-assed GPS. I want a good camera. I want a good
    PDA. I want a good cellphone. I want a good GPS (especially if it can
    talk to OS X! Garmin, wake the hell up!).

    Maybe I'm the oddball. Maybe the poor blender/juicer/toaster combo
    is preferred by the huddled massed. Hell, who'm I kidding? Look at the
    success of Wal-Mart and realize the market is saturated with exactly
    what the proles want. But I digress.

    The Address Book was a flash of brilliance. With an exposed API, AB
    makes it possible for every application to access the same information.
    Email, office, fax, you name it. And -- wonder o' wonders -- it doesn't
    involve writing an office email client with fax capability.

    I respectfully disagree. I really do like the calendaring feature of
    Entourage. If it were available solo as MS Calendar I'd be a pretty
    happy guy.

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  16. #16

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    >Newsgroups aren't mail.[/ref]

    Everyone knows that. They're web pages.

    Jim

  17. #17

    In article <bjan0u$93q$swcp.com>, com (Jim Hill)
    wrote:

    > >Newsgroups aren't mail.[/ref]
    >
    > Everyone knows that. They're web pages.[/ref]

    *guffaw*

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  18. #18

    In article <islandnet.com>, GDB
    <ca> wrote:

    Indeed. It makes it a lot more feasible to improve just one part, and
    to adopt an improvement, without messing up everything else. Good
    integration between apps is as valid an approach to combining functions
    as putting them all in one program, and better for innovation as well
    as safer.

    --
    Bruce Baugh <*> com
    Writer of Fortune, Gamma World Developer

  19. #19

    In article <BB7E4BD4.95EC%rr.com>, Doug Day
    <rr.com> wrote:

    Newsgroups aren't a kind of mail at all.

    Mail is addressed to specific recipients. Newsgroups are distributed
    for everyone who'd like them. They use different protocols. They
    originated independently, and they have different strengths and
    weaknesses. They've only ever been conflated by people being sloppy or
    misinformed, and it's bred misunderstandings bad for both.

  20. #20

    In article <bjan0u$93q$swcp.com>, Jim Hill <com>
    wrote:

    > Everyone knows that. They're web pages.[/ref]

    They're gopher files, you trendy chaser of fads.

    --
    Bruce Baugh <*> com
    Writer of Fortune, Gamma World Developer
    http://bruceb.livejournal.com/
    Bruce Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast