Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple recognizes Ruby on the Xserve product page - Ruby

I just spotted these two snippets of Ruby recognition on the Apple Xserve product page ([url]http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/web.html):[/url] 1. "...any number of custom applicatons from web development tools such as PHP, MySQL, JSP or Ruby." 2. "Mac OS X Server now supports Ruby, a simple and powerful object-oriented programming language along the veins of Perl" Not bad at all. Well, besides being lumped in with Perl, perhaps :) / David...

  1. #1

    Default Apple recognizes Ruby on the Xserve product page

    I just spotted these two snippets of Ruby recognition on the Apple
    Xserve product page ([url]http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/web.html):[/url]

    1. "...any number of custom applicatons from web development tools such
    as PHP, MySQL, JSP or Ruby."

    2. "Mac OS X Server now supports Ruby, a simple and powerful
    object-oriented programming language along the veins of Perl"

    Not bad at all. Well, besides being lumped in with Perl, perhaps :)

    / David

    David Heinemeier Hansson Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 05:24:59AM +0900, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
    > 2. "Mac OS X Server now supports Ruby, a simple and powerful
    > object-oriented programming language along the veins of Perl"
    >
    > Not bad at all. Well, besides being lumped in with Perl, perhaps :)
    Considering that it's a one-sentence introduction for people who might
    never have heard of Ruby, I think it's not bad, considenring that a big
    part of Ruby's purpose is to be "a better Perl than Perl".

    --
    Daniel Carrera | PGP: 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88
    Math PhD. UMD | [url]http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/pgp.html[/url]

    Weekly Smile:
    There are 10 types of people in the world...
    Those who understand binary - and those who don't.

    Daniel Carrera Guest

  3. #3

    David Heinemeier Hansson graced us by uttering:
    [ snippage ]
    > 2. "Mac OS X Server now supports Ruby, a simple and powerful
    > object-oriented programming language along the veins of Perl"
    >
    > Not bad at all. Well, besides being lumped in with Perl,
    > perhaps :)
    I've never understood why some Rubyists despise their Perl roots
    so much.

    I observed much ridicule of Perl in the c.l.py newsgroup where
    Perl represented the antithesis of the language in question. In
    fact, among the newer generation of interpreted languages, Perl
    seems to be the stepchild whom everyone belittles. It
    has appeared to me on several occasions that it's almost a rite
    of passage for one to make fun of Perl's syntax in order to be
    accepted into the "cool" clique.

    That may be all well and good for Pythonistas, but Ruby borrows
    heavily from Perl, and makes no attempt to hide it. Aside from
    the rather obvious inclusion of dozens of special variables, the
    ruby executable also largely functions identically to perl,
    taking many of the same options and switches. Finally, much of
    the grammar of Ruby, especially where regular expressions are
    concerned, are obviously in the spirit of Perl.

    Assuming that much of the above would never have become part of
    Ruby if there weren't significant worth and utility in it, why
    then do we lower ourselves to the petty jokes of our peers and
    find ourselves condemning our own heritage?

    To liken this to natural languages, isn't this much like the
    French condemning Latin for it's foolish practice of conjugation?

    Pensively,
    Tim Hammerquist
    --
    There are probably better ways to do that, but it would make
    the pr more complex. I do, occasionally, struggle feebly

    Why do language designers persist in thinking that simple
    languages produce simple solutions? All it does is sweep the
    complexity of the problem under someone else's carpet.
    -- Larry Wall in <199911300903.BAA26153kiev.wall.org>

    It's the Magic that counts.
    -- Larry Wall on Perl's apparent ugliness
    Tim Hammerquist Guest

  4. #4

    On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:47 PM, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    > To liken this to natural languages, isn't this much like the
    > French condemning Latin for it's foolish practice of conjugation?
    Naah, it's more like how teenagers are so incredibly embarrassed to be
    seen with their parents. Sometimes the teenagers are overly sensitive
    about their parents' flaws. Sometimes, they are simply right. I mean,
    black socks with flip-flops? C'mon!

    Perl is fun. If there were no Ruby I'd probably still use it. Doing
    OO-ish programming in Perl... that's black socks and flip-flops.

    Ben

    Ben Giddings Guest

  5. #5

    Well, I'm just a ruby beginner (and perl beginner too), and I know C
    fairly well,
    but I must say that for me Perl is almost unusable, whereas Ruby is
    perfect !
    Ok I use Ruby for rather simple tasks... I use Awk very often for text
    "formating", and I use Python to embed C routines. I plan to use Ruby
    replace both. And I insist, for me it's not simply a joke to say perl
    is too
    complicated. I tried to learn, and I don't think I'm too stupid or too
    lazy.
    If you remember TECO, you will have a good basis for comparison ;-)
    Jean-Claude Arbaut Guest

  6. #6

    That really put a smile on my face - thanks!

    I've been kicking the tyres on ruby for a while now, but only recently
    wrote a "proper app", by which I mean completely test-first, cleanly
    refactored, etc. The signal to noise ratio is awesome, coming from a
    Java background by way of C++ and Perl. I write a failing test, write
    about 3 lines of really clean Ruby code, and the test passes. Where's
    the casting? Where's the Foo foo = new Foo() verbosity? Interfaces?
    Dynamic proxies? Woohoo - I don't need any of that nonsense!

    I've written object-oriented Perl systems - and no, it's not pretty! -
    and I often describe Ruby as the offspring of Perl and Smalltalk
    (well come on - they aren't exactly married are they?).

    It seems to me the reason Ruby is so Perl-friendly is a deliberate
    tactic to encourage Perlmongers wanting to try out Ruby, rather than
    thinking "that's a really clear, intuitive syntax - let's do it that
    way!". It's all implemented as syntactic sugar around a pure
    object-oriented language anyway, and as I am discovering the Ruby Way of
    doing things like blocks, iterators, mixins etc. the Perl and Java
    syntax just feels clumsy. (My first attempts at Ruby looked a lot like
    Java - no surprise there then - but now they look a lot more like Ruby :)

    Just the confused ramblings etc.,
    Dan

    ps. Just noticed 5.times do |i| ... end. This language rocks!

    Ben Giddings wrote:
    > On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:47 PM, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    >
    >> To liken this to natural languages, isn't this much like the
    >> French condemning Latin for it's foolish practice of conjugation?
    >

    > Naah, it's more like how teenagers are so incredibly embarrassed to be
    > seen with their parents. Sometimes the teenagers are overly sensitive
    > about their parents' flaws. Sometimes, they are simply right. I
    > mean, black socks with flip-flops? C'mon!
    >
    > Perl is fun. If there were no Ruby I'd probably still use it. Doing
    > OO-ish programming in Perl... that's black socks and flip-flops.
    >
    > Ben

    Dan North Guest

  7. #7

    Ben Giddings graced us by uttering:
    > Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:47 PM, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    >> To liken this to natural languages, isn't this much like the
    >> French condemning Latin for it's foolish practice of
    >> conjugation?
    >
    > Naah, it's more like how teenagers are so incredibly
    > embarrassed to be seen with their parents. Sometimes the
    > teenagers are overly sensitive about their parents' flaws.
    > Sometimes, they are simply right. I mean, black socks with
    > flip-flops? C'mon!
    Ok, yeah, I remember my dad in that get-up. :)

    Similar to how the French might be annoyed that over
    half the letters in Latin are actually pronounced. ;)
    > Perl is fun. If there were no Ruby I'd probably still use it.
    > Doing OO-ish programming in Perl... that's black socks and
    > flip-flops.
    Amen. OO was really the only thing I missed in Perl when I
    started looking at Ruby. Iterators were a huge bonus!

    Cheers!
    Tim Hammerquist
    --
    Destinations are often a surprise to the destined.
    -- Thessaly, The Sandman

  8. #8

    Jean-Claude Arbaut graced us by uttering:
    > Ok I use Ruby for rather simple tasks... I use Awk very often
    > for text "formating", and I use Python to embed C routines. I
    > plan to use Ruby to replace both.
    Sounds like a good tactic to me! :)
    > but I must say that for me Perl is almost unusable, whereas
    > Ruby is perfect ! [...] And I insist, for me it's not simply a
    > joke to say perl is too complicated. I tried to learn, and I
    > don't think I'm too stupid or too lazy.
    I'm sure you're not. One of the greatest mistakes I ever made
    was to try to learn Perl as a variation on any programming
    language I'd ever known. It took months of struggling, as well
    as a 3 month sabbatical during which I just had to let Perl
    knowledge rot, ferment, and (finally) distill into the resultant
    epiphany... and I don't regret a day.

    That's just what it took for me. YMMV.
    > If you remember TECO, you will have a good basis for comparison
    > ;-)
    Smiley noted, but to compare Perl to TECO and thus, indirectly,
    to Emacs, is to place Ruby on the other side of the Holy War with
    vi. And I don't like to be far away from vi, no matter which
    langauge I program in! :)

    Cheers!
    Tim Hammerquist
    --
    As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
    Tim Hammerquist Guest