Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple's installers - Mac Applications & Software

Don't seem to be industrial strenght. My /Applications folder was a symbolic link (ln -s) to somewhere else. After running Software Update, it was a folder, with just one subfolder Utilities, with the new Airport utility in it. Isn't it a bit harsh to just overwrite what's there? I mean, a linked Applications folder seems to work fine so I don't see any argument against it. V. -- mail me at lastname at cs utk edu...

  1. #1

    Default Apple's installers

    --
    mail me at lastname at cs utk edu
    Victor Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple's installers

    address (Victor Eijkhout) writes:

    Unfortunately, the package installer IS industrial strength. When
    building a package, the folders (directories) / and /Applications are
    included in the package. If they are set to the wrong owner or
    permissions by the creator of the package -- a common error -- and the
    package uses root authorization, they will be overwritten with the
    ownership and permissions specified in the package when the installer
    is run. Some of Apple's own installs do this.
    --

    Ronald Florence www.18james.com
    Ronald Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fzqexe.hdg1w871fp1wN%address>,
    address (Victor Eijkhout) wrote:

    Yep, this is par for the course with Apple-style installers, and has
    been discussed here many times.

    It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. Apple's installers are based on
    the BSD "pax" utility, which unfortunately does the sort of thing you've
    noticed.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  4. #4

    On 15 Aug 2003, Ronald Florence wrote:

    > Unfortunately, the package installer IS industrial strength. When
    > building a package, the folders (directories) / and /Applications are[/ref]

    Apple's choice of pax for their installer is, to say the least,
    unfortunate. A good article on the subject is at
    http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Technical/Packages/InstallerOnX.html
    (not terribly recent, but as far as I know, still accurate).

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fzqexe.hdg1w871fp1wN%address>, Victor
    Eijkhout <address> wrote:

    I think its totally brain dead, they're using a Unix installer, so what
    do you expect. It works the way a programmer thinks, not the way the
    user does.

    There is a hidden preference you can set which persuades it not to do
    that, but I don't know an easy way to get it set. The "defaults"
    terminal command could probably do it, but I don't get on with that
    either.

    The secret is to get a prefernce of "DontTrashSymlinks" with the value
    "YES".

    You also need to do the same for software update, or it'll kill it at
    the next update.

    --
    Barry
    com <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  6. #6

    In article <srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk>,
    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    And not even that, but because Apple's instructions recommend including
    the root folder in the installer package. If you build an installer
    package which does NOT contain the /Applications folder, things work
    properly.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  7. #7

    Barry Twycross <com> wrote:

    if [ ! -d $TARGET_DIR ] ; then mkdir -p $TARGET_DIR ; fi
    cd $TARGET_DIR ; tar fxv $PACKAGE

    That's what I'd expect. Or something like that.

    V.