Professional Web Applications Themes

Apple's new word processor - Mac Applications & Software

The rumor, at least as stated here: http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/comments.php?id=P11_0_1_0_C is well over six months old. I've heard elsewhere that some of the programming is being done in India. Has anyone heard anything more? -- John Rethorst jrethorst -at- post -dot- com...

  1. #1

    Default Apple's new word processor

    --
    John Rethorst

    jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apple's new word processor

    "John Rethorst" <net> wrote in message

    That link just returns me a blank page - any others?

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  3. #3

    In article <%Pe9b.70$server.ntli.net>,
    "Ian McCall" <org> wrote:

    Same here.

    Thge home page at the .com level is blank as well. It's sitting
    parked at GO DADDY.
    D. Guest

  4. #4

    In article <075.popsite.net>,
    net (John Rethorst) wrote:

    This rumor's been pretty quiet of late. The URL you supply turns up a
    blank page, but the word-processor rumor seemed to stem from Apple
    working up its own alternatives to Microsoft apps-- Safari instead of
    Explorer, and Keynote instead of PowerPoint. The second especially led
    people to wonder whether it was the first step in a full office suite.
    Of course they've already got AppleWorks, but this was rumored as more
    of a professional-grade system. The rumors variously reported that the
    word processor might be named "Doent", or that the next version of
    AppleWorks would in fact _be_ the Office-killer, incorporating Keynote,
    Doent, and other as-yet-unnamed apps. This was also rumored to be
    accompanied by an "i" suite to take AppleWorks current place in the
    market-- something like "iWorks".

    But the rumors have been pretty quiet of late; if there's any truth in
    any of this, Apple's maintaining radio silence on it.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    John Rethorst wrote:

    If it's for use in India, then more power to them.

    But how likely are they to do bug fixes if the
    programmers are half a world away and unnacountable
    for their errors? From what I've seen in the past,
    when offshore programmers tried to do a major job
    like this, the only recourse was to fire all of them
    and hire somebody else, simply because they were
    unnaccountable, and stonewalled whenever bug fixes were
    requested. Not because they are stupid or unskilled,
    but because they thought producing a working piece of
    software required contract revisions and renegotiations
    above and beyond their payment for the initial coding
    of a crude beta version.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    > > The rumor, at least as stated here:
    >
    > This rumor's been pretty quiet of late. The URL you supply turns up a
    > blank page, but the word-processor rumor seemed to stem from Apple
    > working up its own alternatives to Microsoft apps-- Safari instead of
    > Explorer, and Keynote instead of PowerPoint. The second especially led
    > people to wonder whether it was the first step in a full office suite.
    > Of course they've already got AppleWorks, but this was rumored as more
    > of a professional-grade system.[/ref]

    Perhaps one of the reasons the rumor has quieted is that Microsoft is
    adamant that they are actively developing Office v11 and have no plans
    to abandon MacOS. Whether this is true or not I leave the reader to
    decide; I'm just tossing this data point into the mix.

    -Kurt
    Kurt Guest

  7. #7

    George Williams <com> wrote:

    You are aware that Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and other major software
    companies have offshore locations? With the high speed internet today a
    programmer can be anywhere in the world. It isn't about contract work,
    it is about locating your work force anywhere in the world. Which is why
    many of my former programming colleagues are now working in other
    fields. Microsoft et al can save big time by having a MS campus in
    India.
    Strider Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:58:14 -0700, George Williams wrote
    (in message <com>):

    > If it's for use in India, then more power to them.
    >
    > But how likely are they to do bug fixes if the
    > programmers are half a world away and unnacountable
    > for their errors?[/ref]

    The testing, no doubt, as well as the project management will be done right
    here in California.

    Apple, and others, won't change their requirements for quality software.
    Those engineers were trained right here in Silicon Valley, then moved back
    "home" when the economy tanked. Their skills are quality. Their cost of
    living, however, is 1/10 what it is here.

    The managers who write the specs for the s/w are still in the US.
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  9. #9

    I have it on authority that the new word processor will indeed be
    revolutionary. According to my source, Apple has secretly been funding
    neural interface work at MIT's AI lab. They have come up with a baseball
    cap full of sensors which pick up your brainwaves and transfer them via
    802.11h interface to the CPU and the on-screen page. Think it and there it
    is. Further, it is easily adaptable to right-to-left languages such as
    Arabic and Hebrew by merely wearing the cap with the bill facing backwards.

    At the moment there are only two major engineering issues to be conquered.
    First, stray, random thoughts can produce unintended consequences on
    screen. If you're hungry, the lunch menu you're contemplating might end up
    in the doent.

    Second, there is a faction of the MIT development team which is demanding the
    original rainbow Apple logo be used on a blue cap rather than the
    corporate designers who favor a white apple on a black hat. A third, but
    smaller group is refusing to wear black hats, stating that they should be
    reserved for Microsoft. They want a white hat with a black apple.

    Public beta testing is expected to begin 2Q04.

    --Fred

    John Rethorst (net) wrote:
    : The rumor, at least as stated here:

    : http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/comments.php?id=P11_0_1_0_C

    : is well over six months old. I've heard elsewhere that some of the
    : programming is being done in India. Has anyone heard anything more?

    : --
    : John Rethorst

    : jrethorst -at- post -dot- com
    Fred Guest

  10. #10

    Fred Moore <org> wrote:

    8-D

    excellent!
    Why don't you come more often on this newsgroup!

    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, net
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Johan Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    On 16 Sep 2003 11:55:06 -0400, org (Fred Moore) wrote:

    No way I'd be able to work with that thing, my co-workers are all too
    attractive and underdressed.

    "And furthermore regarding the Thighs account... the progress of their
    online ordering nipples is coming along very Chanel No. 5..."
    forge Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    forge Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. #14

    forge wrote:

    Oh, what a give-away!
    George Guest

  15. #15

    Fred Moore <org> wrote:

    That will be handled by a Hungry-English phrase book. "Please fondle my
    sandwich!"
    Neill Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator