Professional Web Applications Themes

AppleCare Protection PLan - Mac Networking

I am planning to buy a 12" iBook. Is the AppleCare worth the money and something I should get? I saw there is a Microsoft office version for ..mac. I can get the educator's discount. Do I need it to work between my laptop running office 2000? Thanks wmiller...

  1. #1

    Default AppleCare Protection PLan

    I am planning to buy a 12" iBook. Is the AppleCare worth the money and
    something I should get? I saw there is a Microsoft office version for
    ..mac. I can get the educator's discount. Do I need it to work
    between my laptop running office 2000?

    Thanks
    wmiller
    wmiller Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AppleCare Protection PLan

    In article <google.com>, wmiller
    <com> wrote:

    On a laptop, definitely! They take a lot of abuse, no matter how
    careful you are. On a desktop, probably not. I've never needed
    repairs on a desktop Mac.

    BTW, the conventional wisdom is to wait to buy the AppleCare warranty
    until the end of the 1 year warranty. (Kinda makes me wish I had done
    that!)

    If you want to use Microsoft Office on your Mac, then yes, I'd say
    buying it would be a good idea! :-) Alternately, you could use
    something like OpenOffice, which is a free, open-source office suite
    for Unix that is compatible with Microsoft Office and works well on
    Macs running OS X. Of course, it's not as simple to install as typical
    Mac apps.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (wmiller) wrote:

    For a laptop, IMHO, it is very much worth it. Laptops are continually
    subject to more stress than a desktop, and subject to jarring and
    dropping...

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  4. #4

    On 2004-02-07 14:05:54 -0500, James Meiss <invalid> said:

    Just to point out the obvious, remember that AppleCare does _not_
    cover anything obviously caused by "wear and tear" (ie: jarring and
    dropping). Thank god I never had to tell them about slapping my
    Clamshell 7' into the asphalt. :)

    With that out of the way, definitely get AppleCare for a laptop. On a
    desktop, it can be a bit harder question, with the caveat, that if you
    bought a display with the laptop, it's definitely worth it.

    --
    W. "Ian" Blanton, Tech Superpowers, Inc.
    Technology for Genius (tm). All Mac, all the way.

  5. #5

    W. Ian Blanton <com> writes:

    But it does cover things that many laptops suffer from within three
    years. Things like battery problems (prematurely wearing out, not
    charging, etc.) and things like the white-spots-on-the-display
    problem that was affecting PowerBooks a few months ago.

    If these kinds of things affect enough people, Apple may decide to
    fix them out of warrantee, even without AppleCare, but not
    necessarily.

    -- David
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <google.com>,
    com (wmiller) wrote:

    I have had AppleCare pay for itself on my laptops, as they have a hard
    life. I will likely buy it again for the laptop we are going to be
    purchasing in the next month or so. It is not so clear for desktop
    systems.

    If your iBook is going to travel much, and you intend to keep it for
    more than a year or two, you might find it a very useful investment.

    Do note - design failures like the white spots on the screen of recent
    machines, or the iBooks losing their display are often covered by
    product recalls whether or not you have Applecare. A machine failure
    that has not yet been identified as such a flaw will not be, unless you
    bought Applecare. So, the question becomes whether you will have a
    failure after the first year but before the end of the third, and
    whether you will want phone support after three months.

    I have found Office for Mac very useful, given that I do exchange
    doents with Windows users.

    Scott
    com
    Java, Cocoa, WebObjects and Database consulting
    Scott Guest

  7. #7

    In article <070220041359248801%spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <spam.me> wrote:

    > On a laptop, definitely! They take a lot of abuse, no matter how
    > careful you are. On a desktop, probably not. I've never needed
    > repairs on a desktop Mac.
    >
    > BTW, the conventional wisdom is to wait to buy the AppleCare warranty
    > until the end of the 1 year warranty. (Kinda makes me wish I had done
    > that!)[/ref]

    Why? It covers until three years after purchase whenever you buy it,
    and if you buy it early, you get phone support for the remaining 9
    months of the first year.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  8. #8

    Scott Ellsworth writes:

    > Why? It covers until three years after purchase whenever you buy
    > it, and if you buy it early, you get phone support for the remaining
    > 9 months of the first year.[/ref]

    Well, I suppose that if you get a failure within the first year, you
    can get your replacement without having paid for AppleCare.

    But IMO, that's not much of an argument, since even after said
    replacement, you'd still want to remaining two years of coverage.

    -- david
    David Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>, Scott
    Ellsworth <com> wrote:

    > Why? It covers until three years after purchase whenever you buy it[/ref]

    Ahh, I thought it paid for three years after purchase of the warranty.
    Is that not the case?

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  10. #10

    In article <100220041344050817%spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <spam.me> wrote:

    > > Why? It covers until three years after purchase whenever you buy it[/ref]
    >
    > Ahh, I thought it paid for three years after purchase of the warranty.
    > Is that not the case?[/ref]

    AppleCare extends the initial 1 yr warranty to 3 yrs total. Since it can
    only be purchased during the original warranty period, it is effectively a
    2 yr extension (plus the extra 9 months of phone support in the first year,
    if you buy it early enough to take advantage, and the TechTool disc).

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  11. #11

    I live in the UK but am going to purchase my G4 while on a trip to the
    States. Does anyone know, if I don't purchase Applecare on the spot
    while in the USA, can I then buy it from Apple back in the UK (within
    the first initial year of purchase)?
    JesseGee Guest