Professional Web Applications Themes

AppleTalk over TCP/ip filesharing is slow.. - Mac Applications & Software

In article <aol.com>, comnospam (JWolf6589) wrote:   When you open your mac file sharing control panels, do the mac users have "enable file sharing users to connect via tcp/ip"? -- Trashy Girl...

  1. #1

    Default Re: AppleTalk over TCP/ip filesharing is slow..

    --
    Trashy Girl

    Trashy Guest

  2. #2

    >When you open your mac file sharing control panels, do the mac users

    No in most cases on my Mac it is not. I cant remember if I tested it with it
    on. I was told by someone to leave it off, because of hacking issues.

    Do you think that wil enable a faster network speed and a faster Mac? I have a
    G3/300 processor card, slow these days, but very fast in 1999 when I bought it.

    JWolf6589 Guest

  3. #3

    On 30 Jul 2003 02:34:11 GMT,
    JWolf6589 (comnospam) wrote:

    > No in most cases on my Mac it is not. I cant remember if I tested it with it
    > on. I was told by someone to leave it off, because of hacking issues.[/ref]

    Then turn it on. AFP over AppleTalk is substantially slower than
    AFP over TCP/IP -- especially on 100baseT networks.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  4. #4

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnospam (JWolf6589) wrote:

    The AppleTalk code is ancient and grossly inefficient. Just turning it
    on brings all file access to a crawl. Rumor is that Apple doesn't have
    source code so they've been hacking the old 68K assembly forever. You
    can try the TCP/IP mode but it will still be slow if the original
    AppleTalk continues to run.

    OS 10.2.6 AFP is somewhat faster but it still s in many ways. At
    least Windows support is built in.
    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    > >When you open your mac file sharing control panels, do the mac users
    >[/ref]

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnospam (JWolf6589) wrote:

    If you have security concerns, merely specify a folder or folders that
    you will fileshare (instead of your entire computer). Alternatively or
    in addition, you could use a security software such as Doorstop and
    specify the IP addresses that you will allow to fileshare (with
    Doorstop, you can authorize the local area network range of IP addresses
    and exclude anyone outside that).
    It should be *significantly* faster to use tcp/ip filesharing.
    --
    Trashy Girl

    Trashy Guest

  6. #6

    >The AppleTalk code is ancient and grossly inefficient. Just turning it

    So even my G3 PPC with 9.1 using TCP/ip is still using the 68K code?

    How can I use TCP/ip and not use Appletalk?

    Yes but I hear Windows network support built into OSX s compared to Dave.
    I use Dave, but it lacks some of the features that I can do when I connect to
    only Macs.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  7. #7

    >Then turn it on. AFP over AppleTalk is substantially slower than

    WE have a 100 base T network. Do you suppose I will geta faster than 1 MB per
    second rate if I turned on TCP/ip?

    Thanks..
    JWolf6589 Guest

  8. #8

    >If you have security concerns, merely specify a folder or folders that

    Will it be faster than 1 MB per second? That seems to be the max speed I've
    been able to obtain with Appletalk. I recall I've connected to some Macs using
    only Appletalk and some using TCP/ip, I know because the file sharing icon is
    different. One icon as a picture of a hard drive, and another has that picture
    with a world icon below.

    JWolf6589 Guest

  9. #9

    On 30 Jul 2003 16:20:47 GMT,
    Crucifyself03 (comnojunk) wrote:

    What features that DAVE lack v/s AFP over TCP or AFP over AppleTalk --
    besides the obvious one of being able to use SMB servers and not AFP
    ones.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  10. #10

    >Absolutely. With AFP over TCP (from a Linux server running netatalk) we

    Then I will try this next time. I am not sure, but I suppose 99% of the
    thousands of computers on the network have 100 base T cards. I doubt we have
    any machines using Localtalk serial ports or 10 base T cards, but you never
    know.

    Thanks..
    JWolf6589 Guest

  11. #11

    >So the big difference is observed on 100baseT networks, when the server

    Thats the problem. Not many, if any at all even use Liniux. Windows 2000
    server is what they use here.

    But thanks for the tips..
    JWolf6589 Guest

  12. #12

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    >So even my G3 PPC with 9.1 using TCP/ip is still using the 68K code?[/ref]

    OS 9 is always running bits of 68K here and there. That's not the
    issue, though. It's the way that File Sharing hooks into the filesystem.

    Time copying 200+ small files on your hard disk with File Sharing on and
    then off.

    >How can I use TCP/ip and not use Appletalk?

    >Yes but I hear Windows network support built into OSX s compared to Dave.
    >I use Dave, but it lacks some of the features that I can do when I connect to
    >only Macs.[/ref]
    Kevin Guest