Professional Web Applications Themes

AppleWorks vs. MS Office - Mac Applications & Software

Your question here is an almost political issue; some certainly will tell you to select any other app than Microsoft whatever the adaptation step for the sake of respecting diversity, some may even hate you if you don't ;-) Anyway! Basically no other word processor than MSWord will *guarantee* you a complete compatibility -which is quite normal, but in fact once this is understood many solutions exist, and most bring other, interesting features that you won't find in the standard Word world... There are at least three way of attempting to solve the problem: 1- by using alternate commercial word ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: AppleWorks vs. MS Office

    Your question here is an almost political issue; some certainly will
    tell you to select any other app than Microsoft whatever the adaptation
    step for the sake of respecting diversity, some may even hate you if you
    don't ;-)

    Anyway!
    Basically no other word processor than MSWord will *guarantee* you a
    complete compatibility -which is quite normal, but in fact once this is
    understood many solutions exist, and most bring other, interesting
    features that you won't find in the standard Word world...

    There are at least three way of attempting to solve the problem:

    1- by using alternate commercial word processors and worksheet
    applications that will be more or less able to import/export MS files.
    Among them (do a google search in this very group) you'll find almost
    all word processors, and a variety of worksheets either bundled (like
    AppleWorks) or separate (Mariner calc...). This category encompasses
    pieces of software that have been developing for years and are very
    mature, stable, and feature-packed when compared to the other two.
    Certainly most of the other posts around will detail features from one
    or another such app

    2- by using free tools. Some are obsessed with absolute-no-cost... Most
    of these applications will be complicated to install (for instance there
    is an entierely free project that installs an office-like onto Apple X11
    environment: consider downloading some hundred Mbytes here, and
    bug-correcting updates are published almost weekly) but some may be
    nifty (eg there are unix system-wide 'services' that will read word docs
    right into your word processor... search for "antiword services" and
    similars)

    3- by using java-based tools. While these may be close to my point (1)
    they have at least three particularities: they are using an interpreter
    (the Java machine), not a compiler, so they are both slower (sometimes
    much slower) and machine-independant (ie you could run them... both on
    your mac and on a PC!); they are recent, contrary to "classical"
    applications, so you'll feel the wind of modernity... and sometimes less
    maturity :-)
    An example here is thinkfree Office which in addition to word and excel
    compatibility features one of the best powerpoint-format reader.

    Personally I own AppleWorks and Thinkfree Office, but am not running
    daily transfers from microsoft. Feel free to email me if you have
    specific questions on those two.

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [email]h.sainctlaposte.net[/email]
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  2. #2

    Appleworks is pretty lame...designed for beginners and retards. You
    won't find better than Office v.X.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  3. #3

    [email]markmarkscoleman.com[/email] wrote:

    > Will I be able to
    > reliably read/write Office files created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be
    > interested in user experiences about this.
    My experience is that with MacLinkPlus, I've been able to use Appleworks
    to open and edit all the doc and xls files that researchers send me.
    Mostly spreadsheets, the rest word-processing doents.
    George Williams Guest

  4. #4

    In article <2bUSa.101096$wk6.27156rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net> ,
    <markmarkscoleman.com> wrote:
    >Greetings,
    >
    >I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a new
    >Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of questions
    >regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files and AppleWorks.
    >Microsoft charges a bundle for a new Mac Office license, so I'm exploring
    >other options. My primary concern is compatbility. Will I be able to
    >reliably read/write Office files created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be
    >interested in user experiences about this.
    You missed an opportunity to get it at slightly less ridiculous cost -
    at least in the UK, it's much cheaper if you buy it at the same time as
    a new Mac (although the deal is less good than it was a few months ago -
    I got it for £125 with my new PowerBook, and now they seem to be asking
    £199). Either way it's better than the full UK price of £389. [ quoted
    prices from [url]www.cancomuk.com[/url], exclusive of VAT ]

    Others in this thread have claimed only Office v.X will give you full
    compatibility. Sadly even that is not true; I got bitten a couple of
    weeks ago. I created a PowerPoint presentation on my Mac, and sent it
    ahead to the conference at which I was speaking. When I came to see it
    on the PC they had installed, most of the bullet point animations were
    broken, and I had a very panicky 10 minutes fixing them. Good thing I
    asked to check when I arrived, rather than discover the problems during
    the presentation...

    So, the compatibility between Office versions isn't bad, but it is by no
    means complete.

    Tim

    Tim Cutts Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:05:18 -0400, [email]markmarkscoleman.com[/email] wrote
    (in message <2bUSa.101096$wk6.27156rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net> ):
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a new
    > Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of questions
    > regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files and AppleWorks.
    > Microsoft charges a bundle for a new Mac Office license, so I'm exploring
    > other options. My primary concern is compatbility. Will I be able to
    > reliably read/write Office files created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be
    > interested in user experiences about this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    I purchase OfficeX from ebay from a good price. Much less than the "special
    offer" that I would have gotten when I purchased my PowerBook.

    So far, how do you like OSX so far?

    J Guest

  6. #6

    [email]markmarkscoleman.com[/email] writes:

    > I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a
    > new Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of
    > questions regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files
    > and AppleWorks. Microsoft charges a bundle for a new Mac Office
    > license, so I'm exploring other options. My primary concern is
    > compatbility. Will I be able to reliably read/write Office files
    > created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be interested in user
    > experiences about this.
    AppleWorks is much less expensive. It's also not nearly as
    feature-laden. It works great for basic stuff, but I wold not
    consider it a replacement for Office if you need to work with Office
    files or use some of Office's high-end files.

    The nearest Windows equivalent to AppleWorks is Microsoft Works, not
    Office.

    Mac Link Plus (by DataViz) will convert files between Office and AW
    format, but the conversions will not be complete. Due to the fact
    that AW doesn't have as many features as Office, you will lose some
    stuff (especially embedded objects) in the conversion.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  7. #7

    In article <m2y8yrmonq.fsfqqqq.invalid>, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.)
    wrote:
    > Mac Link Plus (by DataViz) will convert files between Office and AW
    > format, but the conversions will not be complete. Due to the fact
    > that AW doesn't have as many features as Office, you will lose some
    > stuff (especially embedded objects) in the conversion.

    Note especially that multi-sheet spreadsheets are handled in a very
    unpleasant fashion by MacLinkPlus. It builds a single sheet with
    subsequent pages from the original tacked on vertically. Columns widths
    are imposed by the first page.

    Gregory Weston Guest

  8. #8

    In article <210720031043384001%ragnospam.techline.com>,
    Randall Ainsworth <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote:
    > Appleworks is pretty lame...designed for beginners and retards. You
    > won't find better than Office v.X.
    Randall raises an interesting point. It's wrong, but it's interesting.
    _If_ you need interoperability with Office users, Office is by far the
    best solution. If you don't need it, or if your need for Office
    compatibility is infrequent and untaxing, AppleWorks with MacLinkPlus is
    probably adequate. Some people might feel that a fairly clean interface
    on top of functionality that addresses all the needs of most users is
    cause for disdain. Ignore them and judge the product on its merits for
    your needs.
    Gregory Weston Guest

  9. #9

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:05:18 +0200, [email]markmarkscoleman.com[/email] wrote
    (in message <2bUSa.101096$wk6.27156rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net> ):
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a new
    > Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of questions
    > regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files and AppleWorks.
    >
    > Mark
    Did you consider Open Office (1.0.3) with Apple X11? It's sufficiently
    user-friendly; compatibility with MS .doc, .xls and .ppt is good (it does not
    execute VB macros). The software is easy to install, these are well-behaving
    OS-X applications.

    See:
    <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac>
    <http://www.apple.com/X11> (the windowing system, prerequisite for OOo/mac)
    <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_FAQ_OS_X.php3> - printer drivers (4.2.5)

    For a professional's review of the writer component see:
    <http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/magazine/technical/openofficewriter.html>

    --
    Stan.

    Stan Guest

  10. #10

    Try Openoffice.org ([url]www.openoffice.org[/url]). Works great and it's FREE!! I use
    it all the time to edit MS Office docs (excel, word and Powerpoint) on my Mac
    that I use on my work Laptop also.

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:05:18 GMT [email]markmarkscoleman.com[/email] wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a new
    > Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of questions
    > regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files and AppleWorks.
    > Microsoft charges a bundle for a new Mac Office license, so I'm exploring
    > other options. My primary concern is compatbility. Will I be able to
    > reliably read/write Office files created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be
    > interested in user experiences about this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    JSF Guest

  11. #11

    In article <210720031043384001%ragnospam.techline.com>, Randall
    Ainsworth <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote:
    > Appleworks is pretty lame...designed for beginners and retards. You
    > won't find better than Office v.X.
    That's the kind of helpful aid all discussions need. A program
    "designed for retards"? I guess we should be glad they didn't design
    it for mongoloids.

    Office v.X was apparently designed for geniuses. If your a genius make
    you can make something of the billions of programming-bloating options
    it has.

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Scott-Moore Guest

  12. #12

    In article <2bUSa.101096$wk6.27156rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net> ,
    <markmarkscoleman.com> wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm new Mac user (or is the term now "switcher"). I just bought a new
    > Powerbook G4 and want to get an office suite. I had a couple of questions
    > regarding compatibilty between Office .doc and .xls files and AppleWorks.
    > Microsoft charges a bundle for a new Mac Office license, so I'm exploring
    > other options. My primary concern is compatbility. Will I be able to
    > reliably read/write Office files created in Windows using AppleWorks? I'd be
    > interested in user experiences about this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    Since your primary concern is compatibility, I would recommend Office.
    I personally like AppleWorks and use it for just about everything.
    However, while the MS Word translators supplied with AW are adequate
    for simple Word doents, doents with complex formatting are not
    translated properly (even Open Office fails to correctly render some
    kinds of formatting (boxes of text, for example)). I cannot speak to
    AW's translation of .xls files since I rarely come across them.
    jemmy ducks Guest

  13. #13

    Gregory Weston wrote:

    > In article <m2y8yrmonq.fsfqqqq.invalid>, [email]shaminotechie.com[/email] (David C.)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Mac Link Plus (by DataViz) will convert files between Office and AW
    > > format, but the conversions will not be complete. Due to the fact
    > > that AW doesn't have as many features as Office, you will lose some
    > > stuff (especially embedded objects) in the conversion.
    > >

    > Note especially that multi-sheet spreadsheets are handled in a very
    > unpleasant fashion by MacLinkPlus. It builds a single sheet with
    > subsequent pages from the original tacked on vertically. Columns widths
    > are imposed by the first page.

    Your note prompted me to check.

    Arrgh!!!

    Ealrier versions of MPL used to translate multiple Excel worksheets from
    the same workbook as separate AW spreadsheets, but MLP 13 does the
    strange and unpleasant thing you describe. Is this change a <feature> of
    MLP 13???

    Bill
    B Collins Guest

  14. #14

    Gerry Scott-Moore wrote:

    [...]
    > Office v.X was apparently designed for geniuses. If your a genius make
    > you can make something of the billions of programming-bloating options
    > it has.

    It also seems designed for rich geniuses, as well.

    clvrmnky Guest

  15. #15

    In article <gJDTa.45479$PD3.4484942nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
    clvrmnky <clvrmnkycoldmail.com.invalid> wrote:
    > Gerry Scott-Moore wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    > > Office v.X was apparently designed for geniuses. If your a genius make
    > > you can make something of the billions of programming-bloating options
    > > it has.
    > >
    > It also seems designed for rich geniuses, as well.
    Well, given that BillG is a rich guy who thinks he's a genius, I suppose
    this is no surprise. :-)

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  16. #16

    Randall Ainsworth <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote in message news:<210720031043384001%ragnospam.techline.com>. ..
    > Appleworks is pretty lame...designed for beginners and retards. You
    > won't find better than Office v.X.
    Were you one of the designers? You probably meant to say that 'you
    can't find anything more bloated than Office v.X.'
    fatman985@hotmail.com Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    jemmy ducks Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. #18

    B Collins <bbcollinsearthlink.net> wrote:
    > There are no translators directly to or from PowerPoint as far as I
    > know.
    Keynote imports from PowerPoint.
    > So if you must use PowerPoint, you maust have PowerPoint. Other
    > presentation software works very well, but cannot produce PowerPoint
    > file. If you can always run a slide show off your own computer, that
    > won't be an issue, but if you have to use another computer, that only
    > has PowerPoint, then guess what you need.
    You can create HTML presentations. Any PC that runs PowerPoint usually
    has IE installed as well.

    --
    ReindeR
    ReindeR Rustema Guest

  19. #19

    > > There are no translators directly to or from PowerPoint as far as I
    > > know.
    >
    > Keynote imports from PowerPoint.
    >
    > > So if you must use PowerPoint, you maust have PowerPoint. Other
    > > presentation software works very well, but cannot produce PowerPoint
    > > file. If you can always run a slide show off your own computer, that
    > > won't be an issue, but if you have to use another computer, that only
    > > has PowerPoint, then guess what you need.
    >
    > You can create HTML presentations. Any PC that runs PowerPoint usually
    > has IE installed as well.
    Not to contradict any of the above, but as add'l notes:

    1) There is a free downloadable PowerPoint Viewer app for most
    platforms.

    2) Any program that can create presentations can probably convert them
    to PDF, and if not, shareware apps for converting stuff to PDF are
    pretty widely available. MOL every computer in the world then has the
    free Adobe Acrobat Reader which is an excellent medium for presenting
    slide shows.

    3) If you acquire the full-bore Adobe Acrobat (not too pricey), even if
    you ignore most of its more advanced features you can convert most
    anything to PDF, and have excellent tools for duplicating, sorting and
    modifying existing slides and presentations, inserting or linking to
    movies and images, and so on.

    4) PowerPoint is not a bad program, has some handy features for
    throwing together a quick presentation.

    5) A serious, IMHO fatal flaw, however, is its refusal to handle EPS
    files in presentations (which in my paranoid view is a deliberate choice
    on the part of MS to undercut PDF and Adobe). Secondary weaknesses are
    lingering multi-platform incompatibilities.

    Bottom line: If you have any other software to prepare presentations,
    you can forget PowerPoint, or at least spend money on Adobe Acrobat
    before spending any on PPT.
    AES/newspost Guest

  20. #20

    Default No dash! (was Re: AppleWorks vs. MS Office)

    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    This morning I just wanted to do a simple sketch in AppleWorks (object
    graphics), and I discovered that it has no easy way to draw a dashed
    line!

    One needs to buy some script package to accomplish such a simple feat.
    <http://www.tandb.com.au/appleworks/dashed_lines/> - frustrating.

    Also drawing arcs is not very flexible in object graphics. I am looking
    for a diiferent program. Is there anything in OS X?

    --
    vxu.se http://www.masda.vxu.se/~pku/
    Pieter Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast