Professional Web Applications Themes

Apply styles, keep italics? InDesign CS - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello all. I want to be able to apply a full paragraph style to newly placed text, setting it all in the same font, specifying justification, overriding any odd MS word stuff. But, there is one thing I need to retain: all italics. I can't find any way to do this. If I apply a paragraph style with one click, it leaves in the text all of the odd assortment of fonts, etc., that our writers seem to use. Yet if I apply a paragraph style with Shift-Alt, it overrides everything, including italics. These are long articles, and I can't ...

  1. #1

    Default Apply styles, keep italics? InDesign CS

    Hello all. I want to be able to apply a full paragraph style to newly placed text, setting it all in the same font, specifying justification, overriding any odd MS word stuff. But, there is one thing I need to retain: all italics. I can't find any way to do this.

    If I apply a paragraph style with one click, it leaves in the text all of the odd assortment of fonts, etc., that our writers seem to use. Yet if I apply a paragraph style with Shift-Alt, it overrides everything, including italics. These are long articles, and I can't replace italics manually, but I want to be able to apply global font settings, including tracking, kerning, and paragraph settings like justification, hyphenation, etc.

    I used to be able to do this in ID 1.5, as you can set character styles to apply a font family, but not to apply a font weight. ID CS specifies a font weight as soon as you select a font family, whether you want to or not, in both character and paragraph styles. All help much appreciated!
    Jacob_Stevens@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Apply styles, keep italics? InDesign CS

    You could ...

    1. Find/Replace all italics with a character style that applies italics.

    2. Alt-click to apply the paragraph style to over-ride all direct formatting.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    Dear Mike,

    Many thanks: that seems to be a working solution. I'll just have to spell it all out to my colleagues (a little more complicated than the ID 1.5 routine).

    I suppose the other option is to set up a script to do the same thing (this will need to be done for all articles we typeset, which are for one journal). But I haven't looked into all of that yet.

    Thanks again,

    Jacob.
    Jacob_Stevens@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    yes, it can be done...

    Create a new style with the attribs you want.

    Trash the style currently applied to the block you want to keep the italics in. It will prompt to replace with a style, choose none.

    With the text cursor in the pararagh you want to keep the italics in, apply the newly created style by clicking on the style def. Do not option-click, that will clear the italcis.

    good luck!

    -alek
    Unregistered Guest