Professional Web Applications Themes

Applying a filter to multiple layers. - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

Hello! Although this might sound like an odd question, there is a good reason for it. How can I apply the same filter to multiple layers. I though maybe using the "Actions" feature would be the way to go, but how to you make it jump to the next layer, apply the filter, go to the next layer, apply the filter, etc. I want an automated process. I have a Photoshop file with 415 layers, and I want the same filter to apply to all of these layers. Can this be done...if so, how? Any help you can provide me ...

  1. #1

    Default Applying a filter to multiple layers.

    Hello!

    Although this might sound like an odd question, there is a good reason for it.

    How can I apply the same filter to multiple layers. I though maybe using the "Actions" feature would be the way to go, but how to you make it jump to the next layer, apply the filter, go to the next layer, apply the filter, etc.

    I want an automated process.

    I have a Photoshop file with 415 layers, and I want the same filter to apply to all of these layers. Can this be done...if so, how?

    Any help you can provide me would be fantastic...because at the moment...I'm dead stuck!

    (F.Y.I, each layer represents a frame of, what will be, an animated GIF. That is why there is 415 of them!)

    Thanks heaps! E-mail me (choc@planet.net.au) or post the solution...

    I look forward to your responces...

    Chris.
    Chris Hocking Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Applying a filter to multiple layers.

    Automated huh... hmmm.. Two ways I can think of.

    The easiest thing to do is to use an action to apply the filter on a layer by layer basis. But as you've discovered, the caveat is, if you want it automated, all PSD's containing these multiple layers, must have A) the same number of layers and B) they must be the same name across all PSD's. In other words, layer 1 has to be the same name in all your PSD's, layer 2, etc.

    If they don't have names other than your standard Layer 0, Layer 1, Layer 2, etc., it's do-able, but condition "A" above applies.

    That's messy and icky.

    Another way, and I've never tried it, but it goes like this: save out each layer as an individual PSD. There's an action to do it here <http://www.adobeevangelists.com/photoshop/actions.html>.

    Then you create an action to run the filter on one image.

    Next you File|Automate|Batch and run that Filter Action on the folder containing the individual PSD's that were saved.

    Crimoney... this won't work - there's no way to reassemble the individual PSD's automagically. I considered deleting this since I can't figure out how to marry all the layers back together again, but decided to keep in the post in case someone else can think of a way, or perhaps it inspires another idea.

    The long and short of it, is that it's a PITA, any way you slice it.

    Peace,
    Tony

    YrbkMgr Guest

  3. #3

    415 layers! If each one is a frame in an animated GIF, how long does it run for? Are you making a movie? :-)
    Colin Walls Guest

  4. #4

    "The long and short of it, is that it's a PITA, any way you slice it."

    You using the Slice tool on all this, Tony?
    Lawrence Hudetz Guest

  5. #5

    I considered adding "pun intended" but decided not to just so that I could see the wit come out of the myre. Lawrence wins!
    YrbkMgr Guest

  6. #6

    Oh, and by the way...yes it was kinda like a movie...or at least it was video footage (once an AVI, converted to GIF)...

    ~ Chris.
    Chris Hocking Guest

  7. #7

    YrbkMgr,

    That file you suggested downloading was the answer! It has a "Select foward layer" action, so if you copy that and create your own action set that goes the next layer, applies filter, etc. eventually all layers will have the filter.

    What I want to know is how did the people create that Action Set? I never knew actions could display popup messages, etc. Where is this doented?

    Thanks again for your help!

    ~ Chris.
    Chris Hocking Guest

  8. #8

    Chris,

    The action items you mention, such as: Stops, Insert Menu Item, etc., are all doented in the help file under Automating Tasks.

    I've never had occasion to use that particular action you downloaded, I just knew it existed. I'm glad you were able to modify it to fit your needs.

    Cool beans.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest