Professional Web Applications Themes

Archive and Install files can't be deleted - Mac Applications & Software

I used the archive and install method to upgrade my OS 10.1 system to OS 10.2. I then started the laborious process of going through the "Previous System" file to throw away unneeded files. What a time-consuming chore it has turned out to be. I found that most of the files I wanted to toss couldn't be thrown away unless I changed permissions and I ended up having to do this one file at a time. I tried changing folder permissions and clicking the "Apply to enclosed items" button but it never worked. I tried selecting several items and changing ...

  1. #1

    Default Archive and Install files can't be deleted

    I used the archive and install method to upgrade my OS 10.1 system
    to OS 10.2. I then started the laborious process of going through the
    "Previous System" file to throw away unneeded files.
    What a time-consuming chore it has turned out to be. I found that
    most of the files I wanted to toss couldn't be thrown away unless I
    changed permissions and I ended up having to do this one file at a time.
    I tried changing folder permissions and clicking the "Apply to
    enclosed items" button but it never worked. I tried selecting several
    items and changing permissions in the "Get Info" window, but this didn't
    change permissions on all the selected articles either.
    I've also found there are some folders that I can't delete even
    though I have changed the permissions to "me". Some of them are empty so
    I can just leave them, but I still have about 1GB of material in there
    that I'd like to get rid of.
    Is there any quick way to do this? Life is too short to spend all
    of it changing permissions.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Archive and Install files can't be deleted

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    In the terminal, cd to the Previous Systems directory, then sudo rm -R *
    to get rid of everything. The reason for this is that the only person
    permitted to remove these files is the administrator, who is expected to
    be Terminal-savvy. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g1eyet.16oxi9r1xnd7a6N%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > In the terminal, cd to the Previous Systems directory, then sudo rm -R *
    > to get rid of everything. The reason for this is that the only person
    > permitted to remove these files is the administrator, who is expected to
    > be Terminal-savvy. m.[/ref]

    I work from an administrator account, so I thought I would be able
    to do whatever I want with these files, especially after changing their
    permissions to "me."
    I'm not Terminal-savvy yet, but I guess I'd better get to it.
    Just as a matter of curiosity, why can't I trash these files from
    an administrator account? Is this also the reason why the "apply to
    enclosed items" button didn't work for any of these folders?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  4. #4

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    That is a different issue:

    Again, if that's something you want to be able to do, you'll need to
    learn to use the Terminal (e.g. chown). m.

  5. #5

    In article <_VQ9b.6237$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc
    <ca> wrote:

    You can use BatChmod (at versiontracker, of course) to change the
    permissions on the whole batch.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  6. #6

    In article <170920031036058187%net>,
    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote:

    > You can use BatChmod (at versiontracker, of course) to change the
    > permissions on the whole batch.[/ref]

    Thanks. I'll check it out.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1g1f966.w8bd7s1fslblgN%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > That is a different issue:

    > Again, if that's something you want to be able to do, you'll need to
    > learn to use the Terminal (e.g. chown). m.[/ref]

    Okay. Just curious why they put the button in the GUI Get Info
    window if there's no way to make it work from the GUI.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest