Professional Web Applications Themes

Are Apple being difficult when re-installing 9.2.2 ?? - Mac Applications & Software

After my Quicksilver G4 (1.25Ghz) froze, I re-started to a flashing Finder icon with the Question Mark. I tried booting up next with the Option key down but when the screen appeared with the round Restart arrow and the right pointing arrow (continue is that?) nothing happened. So I popped in the restore DVD that came with it and it booted into OSX. The only option offered (after running the disc repair app.) was to re-install OSX. I couldn't find an option to re-install OS9. Did I miss that are Apple being difficult? After re-installing OSX twice I managed to ...

  1. #1

    Default Are Apple being difficult when re-installing 9.2.2 ??

    After my Quicksilver G4 (1.25Ghz) froze, I re-started to a flashing
    Finder icon with the Question Mark. I tried booting up next with the
    Option key down but when the screen appeared with the round Restart
    arrow and the right pointing arrow (continue is that?) nothing happened.
    So I popped in the restore DVD that came with it and it booted into OSX.
    The only option offered (after running the disc repair app.) was to
    re-install OSX. I couldn't find an option to re-install OS9. Did I miss
    that are Apple being difficult? After re-installing OSX twice I managed
    to get it to boot into OS9. And promptly ordered Nortons 8.

    I also tried to boot from a OS9.2.1 install disk and it had the cheek to
    say that it could not be installed on this machine. I only bought it a
    few months ago.

    My questions are:

    1. Why could I not install 9.2.1 from this CD?
    2. And is it possible to install 9.2.2 from the supplied Restore DVD?

    Thanks for any response to above questions.

    Howard Fillingham

    By the way: Why are Apple making it so difficult for 9.2 users. Some of
    us have good reason to stick with 9.2 for the time being, as the switch
    will cost me personally, a lot of money.
    Howard Guest

  2. #2

    Salut Howard

    In article <newsfeeds.com>,
    Howard Fillingham <net> wrote:

    what is the connection between installing OS X, booting into OS 9 and
    Norton 8?
    It's ok to order and pay Norton 8 (what: AV, DD, IS?) but before using
    parts of it, I'd read some of the reports about it on the net.

    Your QS needs at least 9.2.2, so 9.2.1 is not good enough.

    Boot into OS X from the harddisk.
    Insert the Install/Restore DVD
    Double click the Restore icon and follow the instructions
    Watch for the Options to install the additional software.

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --
    MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
    EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

  3. #3

    check the posts on Norton: many seem to think it is evil! I won't use
    the OSX version - installs crap all over the place.

    Disk Warrior is a better option along with Apple disk utility. TechTool
    Deluxe, which comes with Apple's extended warranty, seems ok too. I
    haven't had problems with OSX Disk Warrior and the OS9 version, which
    will fix an OSX volume albeit slowly, is quite solid.

    For OS9 install, I assume you could start up with an OS9 disk warrior
    CD, norton CD or some CD having OS9 on it (works with my Quicksilver),
    and then use a disk image of your 9.2.1 OS installer to install on HD
    and then run 9.2.2 updater while still running OS 9 off the CD.
    Properly installed OS9.2.2 on your HD should then boot up ok.

    --- I think Apple wants you and the rest of us to use OSX rather than
    OS9. This is obvious since 2003 Macs won't even boot up in OS9. OSX is
    more stable and most OS9 apps will work in OSX Classic mode in my
    experience. OSX also takes better advantage of dual processor.

    George Guest

  4. #4

    Salut Howard

    In article <newsfeeds.com>,
    Neo Theleo <com> wrote:

    > None, just that Nortons usually sorts problems quite well, tho' not
    > always.[/ref]

    Let's agree that I have a different opinion on Symantec software

    > Sorry Andreas, not sure what you mean by AV, DD, IS etc..[/ref]

    AV = Antivirus
    DD = Disc Doctor
    IS = Internet Security

    Norton is not just 1 product, so we should be clear about what part we
    are talking about.

    Cheers
    Andreas

  5. #5

    For another important connection read the article:
    OS X 10.2.6 CORRUPTS ALL HARDDISKS UNDER OS9 (in the beginning of this
    newsgroup)..

    That has all to do with norton.. Although i did not test norton 8 myself ;
    what i heard is the same result with that as with norton 6
    and the combination with [os9.2.2 and osx10.2.6] is i should not say this
    again; but lethal (haha because all kinds of 'no-knows' jump on this thread)
    to your system.

    Read the article carefully
    There is a cure in the article itself aswell but the problem is the
    combination and it is pretty timeconsuming.

    Good Luck

    Kay

     [/ref]

    --
    Design & Authoring
    [ Danda] [ D&A] | New Media Solutions | New Media Development

    Bezoek de Websites voor meer informatie:

    HOOFDSITE
    http://www.danda.nl

    DATABASEPRODUCTEN
    http://www.digital-software.nl
    http://www.bizz-software.com

    PORTFOLIO SITE
    http://www.digital-media.nl

    CONTACTINFORMATIE
    tel. +31(0)73 6446119 / b.g.g. +31(0)6 22985410
    fax +31(0)73 6415878

    Kay Guest