Professional Web Applications Themes

Are pixel sizes different between Macs & PC's (or between browsers) ? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi, My image (obviously a set pixel size) varies in size between browsers or computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape browsers. The problem im trying to overcome is that i dont want users to have to scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should it?). Grrrrrr.....Any advice greatly welcomed. Thanks so much :) Cesca...

  1. #1

    Default Are pixel sizes different between Macs & PC's (or between browsers) ?

    Hi,

    My image (obviously a set pixel size) varies in size between browsers or computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape browsers.

    The problem im trying to overcome is that i dont want users to have to scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should it?).

    Grrrrrr.....Any advice greatly welcomed.

    Thanks so much :)

    Cesca

    Francesca Guest

  2. #2

    Francesca,
    I am not sure if I understood your problem or question regarding pixel size difference between those two system architectures. I think it has a lot to do with pixel resolution capacity with whatever monitor screen can handle. As a general thumb of rule, 'majority' of Internet users use 800 by 600 monitors. For those who still use older version of PCs or Macs, their monitor usually sets to 640 by 480 or for up to 800 by 600. Web designers or graphic designers usually have high-end larger monitors bigger than 800 by 600. Hope this helps. Good luck! Regards, Brian

    Deaf Guest

  3. #3

    computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape
    browsers.
    scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the
    width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should it?).

    How many pixels wide is the image? If it's any wider than about 750 px or
    so, the great majority of users will need to scroll no matter what platform
    they're on.

    The number of pixels in the image doesn't change from one computer to
    another, but of course different monitors are set to different resolution
    settings (800 x 600, 1024 x 768) and that will affect how much of your
    set-size image will fit.

    --
    Ptty Ayers
    http://www.WebDevBiz.com

    P@tty Guest

  4. #4

    Windows typically display things bigger and darker than Macs. That's one of
    the major reasons why I now design on Windows. (Plus the software has
    improved for Windows over the years, making the switch a lot easier.)

    "Francesca NY" <com> wrote in message
    computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape
    browsers.
    scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the
    width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should it?).

    robot88888888 Guest

  5. #5

    Thankyou both for your responses.

    I think i possible misunderstand a few simple things and would be grateful if you can fill me in.

    Well, I admit my image is 930 pixels wide. But I (reluctantly) do all my webdesign etc on my teeny tiny i-book, and when i preview in any browser, there is plenty of space. i chose 900 because its seemed a pretty perfect in my browser window and theres no need to scroll when my window is maximized. I thought if it fit in my tiny screen/browser, it would fit in all others.

    Its so much huger in some peoples browsers, and so needs scrolling.

    regarding resolution. Sorry for the novice question but what does that actually mean then. if you have a higher resolution setting, does that make pixels appear bigger?

    thanks again and in advance of some help in explaining a little more,

    Cesca

    Francesca Guest

  6. #6

    webdesign etc on my teeny tiny i-book, and when i preview in any browser,
    there is plenty of space. i chose 900 because its seemed a pretty perfect in
    my browser window and theres no need to scroll when my window is maximized.
    I thought if it fit in my tiny screen/browser, it would fit in all others.

    Well, your tiny screen has a higher resolution than a lot of other screens.
    Someone else might have a great big monitor, but a lower resolution - so
    they have *less pixel space* on their screen than you.

    It's not so much that the image is bigger, but that the screen space is
    smaller - it's probably a 800 x 600 screen, and can only fit about 750
    pixels of your image.

    actually mean then. if you have a higher resolution setting, does that make
    pixels appear bigger?

    They do appear bigger, if the monitor is bigger.. but you'd have the same
    scrolling problem if someone had a little teeny tiny screen like yours, set
    to a 800 x 600 resolution.

    Hope that helps?

  7. #7

    (in most cases)

    Well.. even at 700 px, some people will be scrolling. Not everybody
    maximizes the browser window, so anybody (at any resolution) who happens to
    have the browser window narrower than than will have to scroll. And some
    people turn on that "Favorites bar" or some other left-hand bar, which makes
    the browser window a lot narrower.

    I'd say that if you make it about 700px, something like 3/4 or more of your
    site visitors should be fine with no scrolling.

  8. #8

    robot:

    What's the basis for this claim?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "robot88888888" <tt.com> wrote in message
    of
    > computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape
    > browsers.
    > scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the
    > width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should[/ref]
    it?).

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  9. #9

    experience

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message

    > What's the basis for this claim?
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
    > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "robot88888888" <tt.com> wrote in message
    > news:bgppir$f1t$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    one [/ref][/ref]
    or
    > > scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under[/ref][/ref]
    the
    > it?).
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    robot88888888 Guest

  10. #10

    In article <bgppir$f1t$macromedia.com> , "robot88888888" <tt.com>
    wrote:

    Darker yes, but bigger...?

    -- James M. Shook
    http://www.jshook.com

    James Guest

  11. #11

    I suppose you (not you, James) might be mislead by the fact that Mac's
    graphics standard is set to display at 72dpi and PC's standard is 96dpi, but
    that would work the other way around, i.e., making things on the Mac appear
    larger than on the PC.

    By the way, IE5x for the Mac will allow you to set your display to either 72
    or 96 dpi in the preferences. To keep my sanity I have mine set at 96. I
    still see larger characters on the Mac, but not so much as I used to.
    Sadly, my sanity is still ebbing.....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "James M. Shook" <net> wrote in message
    <tt.com>

    > Darker yes, but bigger...?
    >
    > -- James M. Shook
    > http://www.jshook.com
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  12. #12

    I fear your experience is incorrect then. Please show me an example. 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > > What's the basis for this claim?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO[/ref][/ref]
    GET [/ref]
    > one [/ref][/ref]
    browsers [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref]
    > the
    > > it?).
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bgquu3$f6t$macromedia.com> , "robot88888888" <tt.com>
    wrote:

    If by "things" you mean only text, then yes, text sized with HTML sizes and
    by using some CSS metrics will often display smaller on a Mac (depending on
    how the browser's prefernces are set as Murray points out.)

    -- James M. Shook
    http://www.jshook.com

    James Guest

  14. #14

    Why would "darker" be preferable?
    Mick

    robot88888888 wrote:

    > computers. It seems on PCs its always bigger, and possibly netscape
    > browsers.
    > scroll to see the whole page. My image is in a table set to just under the
    > width of the image it contains....but this shouldnt effect it (should it?). [/ref]

    mick_white Guest