Professional Web Applications Themes

Are Slides obsolete - Photography

The vast majority of professional photographers use transparency film (slides) as their primary medium. A minority use digital only, depending on the field or type of work they do. I shoot for magazines and many of my images end up as posters which pull out of the magazine. These posters can only be made from medium format transparencies as digital files are too small. Yes, 11-14 megpixels is too small. Digital is the way of the future, but this is the present... Regards JJ Christopher Rutty wrote in message ... >What has happened to slide film as the medium for ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Are Slides obsolete

    The vast majority of professional photographers use transparency film
    (slides) as their primary medium. A minority use digital only, depending on
    the field or type of work they do. I shoot for magazines and many of my
    images end up as posters which pull out of the magazine. These posters can
    only be made from medium format transparencies as digital files are too
    small. Yes, 11-14 megpixels is too small.

    Digital is the way of the future, but this is the present...

    Regards
    JJ
    Christopher Rutty wrote in message ...
    >What has happened to slide film as the medium for quality photos?
    >I know digital is the way to go these days, but is it still possible to
    >shoot slides and try to
    >sell them. I sense this is a big issue eg: does book publishing still
    accept
    >slides to accompany
    >the text?
    >
    >I shot slides 20 years ago and printed in cibachrome - I have forgotten
    >everything about
    >the process, except the stunning result.
    >
    >Nowadays how do I get my slides printed?
    >I took them to both Wal-Mart and a small photolab, both scanned the slide
    >and digitally printed
    >it. The result was absolute rubbish.
    >
    >Answers to these questions would make my summer.
    >Thanks, Chris
    >
    >--
    >_______________________________________________ __
    >"Nationalism is the Haven of Scoundrels".
    > Samuel Johnson.

    John Guest

  2. #2

    I'm fairly new to the debate but I thought I'd put in my 5c:
    20MP is when digital and film will become resolution competitive in most
    cirstances - but not all. It is already a standard in photojournalism,
    due to its ease [we're talking DSLR's here]
    I think slides will be around for some time yet, given the outstanding
    quality they deliver.

    On the scanning stuff - I don't know too much about the printing process
    used, but I get my film scanned when processed and find generally great
    results... some could do with a little more time, but they have to make a
    profit.

    Joel

    "Christopher Rutty" <chrysprexar.com> wrote in message
    > What has happened to slide film as the medium for quality photos?
    > I know digital is the way to go these days, but is it still possible to
    > shoot slides and try to
    > sell them. I sense this is a big issue eg: does book publishing still
    accept
    > slides to accompany
    > the text?
    >
    > I shot slides 20 years ago and printed in cibachrome - I have forgotten
    > everything about
    > the process, except the stunning result.
    >
    > Nowadays how do I get my slides printed?
    > I took them to both Wal-Mart and a small photolab, both scanned the slide
    > and digitally printed
    > it. The result was absolute rubbish.
    >
    > Answers to these questions would make my summer.
    > Thanks, Chris
    >
    > --
    > "Nationalism is the Haven of Scoundrels".
    > Samuel Johnson.

    kvack Guest

  3. #3

    x-no-archive: yes
    > Well, taking anything to walmart results in crap, imho.
    Have you ever taken a good look at the people that work in those Wal Mart
    photo departments?

    The guy that ran the 1-hour processor looked like he could barely read.

    I am fascinated by the number of people that post messages saying that they
    use Wal Mart to process their images, after they spent money to buy and use
    excellent cameras and lenses.

    I tried them 4 times, (Philadelphia, PA) and was disgusted each time. I
    could have gotten better results with a disposable camera and Kodak-brand
    processing.

    Jeremy Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:45:42 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremyno-spam-thanks.com>
    wrote:
    >Have you ever taken a good look at the people that work in those Wal Mart
    >photo departments?
    >
    >The guy that ran the 1-hour processor looked like he could barely read.
    I was in their photo department (buying film) and someone was
    complaining that their prints came out orange. They had about 5 or
    6 5x7s made. The Wal Mart employee said that that was the way they
    came out of the machine (as if that's the way it is and nothing can be
    done about it). I thought about telling the person that they should
    expect better, but I didn't. I should have.

    Jan Philips Guest

  5. #5

    Slides will become obsolete when they stop making slide film.

    The professional uses transparency film because that is what the customer
    wants (what the customer is set up for and knows how to use). For the
    amateur, the situation is different. Slides are for people who enjoy seeing
    a large image projected on the screen. There are a lot of people who do,
    and slides are still fairly popular, especially among the advanced amateurs.
    Transparencies are not routinely used for prints. You usually get better
    prints from negative film, but occassionally you will want a print from a
    transparency. Ilfochrome is abut the only medium left for traditional
    photographic printing from slides. Fortunately there are some excellent
    digital scanners available along with software and printers that can produce
    good color prints from slides up to 13X19 inches.

    "Christopher Rutty" <chrysprexar.com> wrote in message
    > What has happened to slide film as the medium for quality photos?
    > I know digital is the way to go these days, but is it still possible to
    > shoot slides and try to
    > sell them. I sense this is a big issue eg: does book publishing still
    accept
    > slides to accompany
    > the text?
    >
    > I shot slides 20 years ago and printed in cibachrome - I have forgotten
    > everything about
    > the process, except the stunning result.
    >
    > Nowadays how do I get my slides printed?
    > I took them to both Wal-Mart and a small photolab, both scanned the slide
    > and digitally printed
    > it. The result was absolute rubbish.
    >
    > Answers to these questions would make my summer.
    > Thanks, Chris
    >
    > --
    > "Nationalism is the Haven of Scoundrels".
    > Samuel Johnson.

    Norman Worth Guest

  6. #6

    Wrong.
    Slide film is primarily used in professional settings.
    Magazine covers or spreads most probably use slide film or medium format negatives.
    Most people do not use slide film to show slide shows of their vacations to Disneyland.

    "Norman Worth" <nworthearthlink.net> wrote in message news:d0QLa.71456$Io.6699269newsread2.prod.itd.ear thlink.net...
    Slides will become obsolete when they stop making slide film.

    The professional uses transparency film because that is what the customer
    wants (what the customer is set up for and knows how to use). For the
    amateur, the situation is different. Slides are for people who enjoy seeing
    a large image projected on the screen. There are a lot of people who do,
    and slides are still fairly popular, especially among the advanced amateurs.
    Transparencies are not routinely used for prints. You usually get better
    prints from negative film, but occassionally you will want a print from a
    transparency. Ilfochrome is abut the only medium left for traditional
    photographic printing from slides. Fortunately there are some excellent
    digital scanners available along with software and printers that can produce
    good color prints from slides up to 13X19 inches.

    "Christopher Rutty" <chrysprexar.com> wrote in message
    > What has happened to slide film as the medium for quality photos?
    > I know digital is the way to go these days, but is it still possible to
    > shoot slides and try to
    > sell them. I sense this is a big issue eg: does book publishing still
    accept
    > slides to accompany
    > the text?
    >
    > I shot slides 20 years ago and printed in cibachrome - I have forgotten
    > everything about
    > the process, except the stunning result.
    >
    > Nowadays how do I get my slides printed?
    > I took them to both Wal-Mart and a small photolab, both scanned the slide
    > and digitally printed
    > it. The result was absolute rubbish.
    >
    > Answers to these questions would make my summer.
    > Thanks, Chris
    >
    > --
    > "Nationalism is the Haven of Scoundrels".
    > Samuel Johnson.

    oystershucker Guest

  7. #7

    'You usually get better
    prints from negative film'

    i couldn't disagree more.... some of the best prints i have gotten are from
    slides.... and if you contacted anyone at 'the slide printer' or consulted
    anyone who has printed from slides before, they'll probably tell you the
    same thing.... slide prints are wonderful!
    c.

    Courtney Hockett Guest

  8. #8

    Re: Are Slides obsoleteI also agree with the quality of prints from slides as
    being better than from neg.. But it also doesn't come cheaply.
    I gave up on all of it and changed over to digital and turn the photos into DVD
    slide shows that we can view on a large screen TV.
    Got tired of the old projector and its noise and heat.

    Regards,
    Ed
    "Courtney Hockett" <chockettcinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    'You usually get better

    prints from negative film'

    i couldn't disagree more.... some of the best prints i have gotten are from
    slides.... and if you contacted anyone at 'the slide printer' or consulted
    anyone who has printed from slides before, they'll probably tell you the same
    thing.... slide prints are wonderful!
    c.

    WinkenBlinken& Nod Guest

  9. #9

    Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
    > WinkenBlinken& Nod wrote:
    >
    >>Re: Are Slides obsoleteI also agree with the quality of prints from slides as
    >>being better than from neg.. But it also doesn't come cheaply.
    >>I gave up on all of it and changed over to digital and turn the photos into DVD
    >>slide shows that we can view on a large screen TV.
    >>Got tired of the old projector and its noise and heat.
    >

    > I agree it's personal opinion if you like slides or if you like
    > TV better. Personally, no digital and TV can change slides and
    > dia projector for me... YET! I have no idea what will be in 5
    > years, but until then there's no way you can get those millions
    > of colors, which you get with projecting slides, with digital.
    > But yes it's a lot more comfortable to press remote control and
    > put DVD in player then prepering everything for dias projection.
    > But sometimes it's nice thing to do:) Just as developing B&W films
    > and prints on your own:)

    Well said.

    Thanks,
    Bob