Professional Web Applications Themes

Are there no freeware FTP clients for OS X? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi there, First, a bit of background on yours truly: I am quite knowledgeable in the PC world but only slightly knowledgeable in the Mac world. I've got an FTP server running at home and I have a friend who owns a Mac with OS X 10.2. I want her to be able to login to my FTP server. I tried getting my friend to use IE but it seems that IE is configured for passive mode because she couldn't get in that way (my server requires active mode, unfortunately). Question: where is the setting to ensure that IE uses ...

  1. #1

    Default Are there no freeware FTP clients for OS X?

    Hi there,

    First, a bit of background on yours truly: I am quite knowledgeable in
    the PC world but only slightly knowledgeable in the Mac world. I've
    got an FTP server running at home and I have a friend who owns a Mac
    with OS X 10.2. I want her to be able to login to my FTP server.

    I tried getting my friend to use IE but it seems that IE is configured
    for passive mode because she couldn't get in that way (my server
    requires active mode, unfortunately).

    Question: where is the setting to ensure that IE uses active
    mode--it's not in the same place or called the same thing as it is in
    IE for Windows.

    I got her using the command line ftp client, but she's not very
    knowledgeable with that area, so I'd prefer that she used something
    more friendly.

    Question: can I write a batch or "starter" file for her that automates
    the process of: logging in, authenticating, going into active mode,
    binary mode, changing to the uploads folder, etc. etc.?

    I tried searching for a GUI-based FTP client but the only ones I can
    find are either for OS 9 or not free. (I'm talking about Fetch 3.0.3
    and Fetch 4.x.x.)

    Question: isn't there *something* out there for the Mac that's a free
    GUI-based FTP client solution for OS X?

    Thanks!!
    Craig
    MC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Are there no freeware FTP clients for OS X?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:49:24 GMT,
    MC (com) wrote:

    The OS X command line client supports a ".netrc" file. You can batch
    commands in there very nicely. "man ftp" for details.

    There are plenty of free GUI-FTP clients for OS X. I don't use this one,
    but I've seen others use it - RBrowserLite:

    As a suggestion, in place of an FTP server on your end, why don't you
    setup an SSH server, and have her use the excellent GUI SFTP client Fugu
    instead. It'll a heck of a lot more secure than FTP for both of you.
    http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    MC <com> wrote:

    There are a number of them. Point your browser to versiontracker.com,
    make sure you're on the OSX software page, and search for "ftp client".
    Pat Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    MC <com> wrote:

    Try going to System Preferences->Network->Proxies tab. There is a check
    box there for enabling/disabling PASV.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  5. #5

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:57:30 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf" <net>
    wrote:

    >The OS X command line client supports a ".netrc" file. You can batch
    >commands in there very nicely. "man ftp" for details.[/ref]

    Okay, I'll file that info away.

    >There are plenty of free GUI-FTP clients for OS X. I don't use this one,
    >but I've seen others use it - RBrowserLite:
    >http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13994[/ref]

    My friend tried this one and she said it looks good. My only concern
    is that she couldn't figure out how to save her connection settings
    (host, username, pw, initial folder). Is this possible with the lite
    version?

    SSH is something I've been interested in for a while but I don't know
    much about it. Once I set up an SSH server, can I get any FTP server
    to tunnel through it, or must I use an SFTP server? (I have an FTP
    server that I know and like but it's not SFTP.)

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    MC
    MC Guest

  6. #6

    On 29 Aug 2003 15:56:28 +0100 (BST), Tim Cutts
    <greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    >Finder itself can do it.
    >
    >Cmd-K, and then type in:
    >
    >ftp://ftp.site.of.choice/
    >
    >It makes the remote FTP site look like a network drive. Very neat.
    >
    >Tim[/ref]

    Together with the reply about turning off PASV mode in IE, this might
    work.

    Thanks,
    Craig
    MC Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:56:28 +0100, Tim Cutts wrote
    (in message <Syj*chiark.greenend.org.uk>):

    > Finder itself can do it.
    >[/ref]

    But if you want something else try RBowser Lite (there is a ... erm ....
    heavy(?) version too!)

    http://www.rbrowser.com/

    Mark Guest

  8. #8

    Tim Cutts writes:

    > Finder itself can do it.
    >
    > Cmd-K, and then type in:[/ref]

    It's read only.
    --
    Jussi Guest

  9. #9

    In article <Syj*chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    Holy cow. Thanks for that tip! I had no idea you could do this ... OS X
    surprises me with something new every day.

    --
    Tad Davis
    rr.com

  10. #10

    >> >Try going to System Preferences->Network->Proxies tab. There is a check
    >>
    >> Hmm, she's on IE 5.2 and the setting is not there. :\[/ref]
    >

    >It's not an IE thing - it's the actual System Preferences application that's
    >being described.[/ref]

    Okay, that worked but she can't upload (whereas she can using
    RBrowserLite). She's dragging and dropping a file to IE (to a folder
    for which she has write access). Is that not the correct way to do
    it? Or maybe IE won't let her upload (IE for the PC allows this).

    MC
    MC Guest

  11. #11

    >Choose "New Site" from the Go menu and insert the needed information.

    Looks like the lite version won't do this. (Version 3.2)
    MC Guest

  12. #12

    MC <com> wrote:

    > Looks like the lite version won't do this. (Version 3.2)[/ref]

    My 3.1.1 (Lite) has this feature. It must be a bug or maybe it's
    somewhere else at the menus in 3.2. Can't fathom what use the
    ftp-application was without that.

    --
    Esa
    Esa Guest

  13. #13

    In article <ling.helsinki.fi>,
    Jussi Piitulainen <ling.helsinki.fi> wrote:

    Is it? Bugger, that's a shame. Still, it's very useful...

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  14. #14

    On 29 Aug 2003, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

    > > Finder itself can do it.
    > >
    > > Cmd-K, and then type in:[/ref]
    >
    > It's read only.[/ref]

    I wonder if that's a fixture, or an artifact of the permissions you've
    set?

    Did you try making a public directory that's writable by anyone?

    joe
    Joe Guest

  15. #15

    Joe Davison writes in reply to my claim that Finder's Command-K opens
    FTP sites read-only:

    I don't know if it's _meant_ to be read-only, but it appears to be.
    Three shareware GUI clients wrote fine (though one had some weird
    problems with the site). Finder shows the stuff as owned by
    system:wheel. Command line ftp shows numeric uid:gid. They also anchor
    the site so that our stuff seems to be all there is.

    It might be a problem with the site. Is Finder willing to write to
    someone's FTP site?

    I tried now, but I failed to make one. It's a web site. I suppose they
    do something to keep permissions standard 755 and 644.
    --
    Jussi
    Jussi Guest

  16. #16

    On 03 Sep 2003, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

    > I don't know if it's _meant_ to be read-only, but it appears to be.
    > Three shareware GUI clients wrote fine (though one had some weird
    > problems with the site). Finder shows the stuff as owned by
    > system:wheel. Command line ftp shows numeric uid:gid. They also
    > anchor the site so that our stuff seems to be all there is.
    >
    > It might be a problem with the site. Is Finder willing to write to
    > someone's FTP site?

    > I tried now, but I failed to make one. It's a web site. I suppose
    > they do something to keep permissions standard 755 and 644.[/ref]

    Are you trying to upload something? Usually ftp site maintainers
    have a special directory where they accept uploads.

    I wouldn't want a publicly accessible download ftp site to be writable
    -- I want to be able to download things the site maintainer put there,
    not something some random person put there -- that'd be a great way to
    get a trojan horse of another color...

    If you're not trying to upload something, why is readonly a problem?

    joe
    Joe Guest

  17. #17

    On 03 Sep 2003, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

    > I don't know if it's _meant_ to be read-only, but it appears to be.
    > Three shareware GUI clients wrote fine (though one had some weird
    > problems with the site). Finder shows the stuff as owned by
    > system:wheel. Command line ftp shows numeric uid:gid. They also
    > anchor the site so that our stuff seems to be all there is.
    >
    > It might be a problem with the site. Is Finder willing to write to
    > someone's FTP site?

    > I tried now, but I failed to make one. It's a web site. I suppose
    > they do something to keep permissions standard 755 and 644.[/ref]

    Maybe my last needs to be ignored. I thought the original poster was
    trying to set up an ftp site on their own machine. This sounds like
    you're trying to set up ftp access to someone else's machine?

    I usually use "Captain FTP" as my ftp gui on OS 10.2.x. With it I
    routinely upload files to a site I maintain on another machine.

    Hmmm. I just tried doing it via the finder, and was not able to upload
    a file simply using drag & drop -- definitely seems to be read only.

    Of course "Help" is no help -- they didn't think I'd ask questions about
    ftp:// -- Sure would be nice to have a man page for the finder.

    You might want to take a look at CaptainFTP -- works fine for me, and is
    pretty easy to set up.

    joe

    Joe Guest

  18. #18

    Joe Davison writes:

    It's not a public site. We authenticate ourselves and have access to
    our own patch of disk. I wish they offered a secure protocol, too.
    --
    Jussi
    Jussi Guest

  19. #19

    Joe Davison writes:

    I forget what the original poster wanted. Yes, my wife wants to set up
    simple web pages on our ISP's server, and I'm not going to send her to
    the command line ftp.

    I've tried Captain FTP, RBrowser Lite and Transmit. I chose Transmit
    for reasons that are not entirely technical, but there was something
    very weird about deleting remote files with Captain FTP. I'm afraid I
    failed to report it, and now I don't have a copy of the program any
    more.

    Thanks for the confirmation. Pity, though. It would have been a
    familiar and simple interface.

    I think it also does not support SFTP at all.

    Quite.
    --
    Jussi
    Jussi Guest

  20. #20

    On 03 Sep 2003 10:06:06 +0300, Jussi Piitulainen <ling.helsinki.fi> did write:

    > I don't know if it's _meant_ to be read-only, but it appears to be.[/ref]

    It appears to be read-only because of bugs in the Finder. I strongly
    advise against mounting any remote volumes, ftp or otherwise. Many
    people have found that this often leads to a situation where the GUI
    becomes unresponsive and you need to reboot - one of the weaknesses
    in the mostly very stable OS X. (I hope the new Finder in Panther
    fixes these problems.)

    The command-line ftp that comes with OS X is excellent, and it's
    worth the trouble to learn how to use it (type "man ftp").

    Lee Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast