Professional Web Applications Themes

are there pay-as-you-go internet accounts for travellers? - Mac Networking

I'm about to move from dial-up to high speed service. Some ISPs throw in a minimal dial-up account but others don't. I need to get access to the Internet and email when I travel. I know many hotels now offer Internet access but I don't always stay in hotels. Also, I'm not keen on trying to hunt down an Internet cafe or suchlike, although I may do so if there's no other choice. I'd like to know if there's an Internet equivalent to the long-distance phone cards that will let me get on-line when I'm away from home without having ...

  1. #1

    Default are there pay-as-you-go internet accounts for travellers?

    I'm about to move from dial-up to high speed service. Some ISPs
    throw in a minimal dial-up account but others don't. I need to get
    access to the Internet and email when I travel. I know many hotels now
    offer Internet access but I don't always stay in hotels. Also, I'm not
    keen on trying to hunt down an Internet cafe or suchlike, although I may
    do so if there's no other choice.
    I'd like to know if there's an Internet equivalent to the
    long-distance phone cards that will let me get on-line when I'm away
    from home without having to sign up for a permanent separate dial-up
    account.
    I'm interested in something that will work in either/both Canada
    and the U.S.
    Thanks for any tips.

    --
    [email]dotlycsympatico.ca[/email]
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    In article <WC18b.6042$k81.513439news20.bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <dotlycsympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I'm about to move from dial-up to high speed service. Some ISPs
    > throw in a minimal dial-up account but others don't. I need to get
    > access to the Internet and email when I travel. I know many hotels now
    > offer Internet access but I don't always stay in hotels. Also, I'm not
    > keen on trying to hunt down an Internet cafe or suchlike, although I may
    > do so if there's no other choice.
    > I'd like to know if there's an Internet equivalent to the
    > long-distance phone cards that will let me get on-line when I'm away
    > from home without having to sign up for a permanent separate dial-up
    > account.
    > I'm interested in something that will work in either/both Canada
    > and the U.S.
    > Thanks for any tips.
    Do you mean you'll travel with a laptop? Why not have a minimal use
    account with EarthLink ($9.99/month for 10 hours) or something? It's
    good to have a backup anyway, in case your high speed ISP has problems.
    nosredna Guest

  3. #3

    In article <nosredna-79DB9D.13305611092003corp.supernews.com>,
    nosredna <nosrednasuscom.net> wrote:
    > Do you mean you'll travel with a laptop? Why not have a minimal use
    > account with EarthLink ($9.99/month for 10 hours) or something? It's
    > good to have a backup anyway, in case your high speed ISP has problems.
    Yes I travel with my laptop. I'm in Canada and I don't think we get
    Earthlink here. In any event, I can get an added dial-up account with my
    current service provider for about the equivalent in Canadian dollars.
    It's just annoying to have to pay for a regular dial up service on
    top of the fairly exorbitant cost of the high speed service, especially
    when I don't need it all the time, since I'm not travelling as much as I
    used to.
    However, I hadn't thought about having the dial up service as a
    backup if high speed goes out. Good point.

  4. #4

    In article <WC18b.6042$k81.513439news20.bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <dotlycsympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I'm about to move from dial-up to high speed service. Some ISPs
    > throw in a minimal dial-up account but others don't. I need to get
    > access to the Internet and email when I travel. I know many hotels now
    > offer Internet access but I don't always stay in hotels. Also, I'm not
    > keen on trying to hunt down an Internet cafe or suchlike, although I may
    > do so if there's no other choice.
    > I'd like to know if there's an Internet equivalent to the
    > long-distance phone cards that will let me get on-line when I'm away
    > from home without having to sign up for a permanent separate dial-up
    > account.
    > I'm interested in something that will work in either/both Canada
    > and the U.S.
    > Thanks for any tips.
    I like Access-4-Free.com. It gives 10 free hours a month with $1/hour
    for each additional hour for a maximum of $10/month. If you don't use
    it, you don't pay.

    I've had it a few years and only use it once or twice a year when I
    travel. It works great and doesn't require any special software.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: [url]http://www.mc-development.com/[/url]

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hotel access via wifi

    In article <WC18b.6042$k81.513439news20.bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <dotlycsympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I'm about to move from dial-up to high speed service. Some ISPs
    > throw in a minimal dial-up account but others don't. I need to get
    > access to the Internet and email when I travel. I know many hotels now
    > offer Internet access but I don't always stay in hotels.
    Internet cafes have been my source of access to the net and to my e-mail
    while traveling in Europe. I've been in a few hotels that have offered
    access, but generally it's not been satisfactory. The worst is via the
    in-room tv and at an ridiculously expensive price. Sometimes in a top
    hotel access is via dsl, but at a very premium price through the
    business service center. I'm just not making million dollar deals and
    have too much spam to deal with. Cybercafes are often inconvenient.

    Right now I'm contemplating staying in a hotel that claims to offer wifi
    in all its rooms. I have a PB G4 ti-book, but do not have a wireless
    network at home. I'm willing to spring for the card. I see my Apple
    option is the Airport Card and not the Extreme. Do I have other options,
    that would also be compatible with the installation of a netword at
    home? Can I get a faster card or a cheaper card by not going with Apple?
    bux Guest

  6. #6

    In article <Fq28b.6055$k81.516045news20.bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <dotlycsympatico.ca> wrote:
    >In article <nosredna-79DB9D.13305611092003corp.supernews.com>,
    > nosredna <nosrednasuscom.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Do you mean you'll travel with a laptop? Why not have a minimal use
    >> account with EarthLink ($9.99/month for 10 hours) or something? It's
    >> good to have a backup anyway, in case your high speed ISP has problems.
    >
    > Yes I travel with my laptop. I'm in Canada and I don't think we get
    >Earthlink here. In any event, I can get an added dial-up account with my
    >current service provider for about the equivalent in Canadian dollars.
    > It's just annoying to have to pay for a regular dial up service on
    >top of the fairly exorbitant cost of the high speed service, especially
    >when I don't need it all the time, since I'm not travelling as much as I
    >used to.
    > However, I hadn't thought about having the dial up service as a
    >backup if high speed goes out. Good point.
    I have an AOL account that I normally access via TCP/IP so it's the
    $9.95 variety. I discoved quite by accident that when I'm away from home
    and use a dialup into AOL that I'm actually on the internet and all my
    interent stuff works. So I just put AOL in the background and do
    nothing with it.

    I can't send email using my verizon account because they require me to
    originate from within verizon, but that's all I have lost.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Parsons Guest

  7. #7

    In article <jrp59-5DEB4A.08152820092003news.verizon.net>,
    Ron Parsons <jrp59gte.net> wrote:
    > I have an AOL account that I normally access via TCP/IP so it's the
    > $9.95 variety. I discoved quite by accident that when I'm away from home
    > and use a dialup into AOL that I'm actually on the internet and all my
    > interent stuff works. So I just put AOL in the background and do
    > nothing with it.
    >
    > I can't send email using my verizon account because they require me to
    > originate from within verizon, but that's all I have lost.
    You might try this page for net access to your verizon mail account:
    [url]http://netmail.verizon.net/[/url]
    --
    Trashy Girl
    Trashy Girl Guest

  8. #8

    Ron Parsons <jrp59gte.net> wrote in news:jrp59-5DEB4A.08152820092003
    news.verizon.net:

    > I have an AOL account that I normally access via TCP/IP so it's the
    > $9.95 variety. I discoved quite by accident that when I'm away from home
    > and use a dialup into AOL that I'm actually on the internet and all my
    > interent stuff works. So I just put AOL in the background and do
    > nothing with it.
    >
    > I can't send email using my verizon account because they require me to
    > originate from within verizon, but that's all I have lost.

    You can access Verizon's web-based e-mail at [url]http://netmail.verizon.net[/url] .
    vnn Guest