Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP & Databases - ASP Database

"Jim Bowman" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:153dc01c41a95$698241d0$a601280aphx.gbl... > I am unable to insert a row in a database using an .asp > page. I am running IIS 5.1 that comes with Windows XP. > > I can read a row from the database using an .asp page > that includes the SQL SELECT statement. But when I use > the sample code in Lesson 3 (Creating a Guest Book using > a Database) from Module 1 (Creating ASP Pages) from the > IIS doentation, I get an error message: "Microsoft > JET Database Engine (0x80004005) Operation must use an > ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ASP & Databases

    "Jim Bowman" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am unable to insert a row in a database using an .asp
    > page. I am running IIS 5.1 that comes with Windows XP.
    >
    > I can read a row from the database using an .asp page
    > that includes the SQL SELECT statement. But when I use
    > the sample code in Lesson 3 (Creating a Guest Book using
    > a Database) from Module 1 (Creating ASP Pages) from the
    > IIS doentation, I get an error message: "Microsoft
    > JET Database Engine (0x80004005) Operation must use an
    > updateable query." The Lesson 3 code uses the SQL INSERT
    > statement.
    >
    > Related issues:
    > -The Win XP doentation recommends "Before you install
    > IIS, you need to install the Windows TCP/IP Protocol and
    > Connectivity Utilities." I have been unable to find the
    > TCP/IP and connectivity utilities.
    > -Permissions may be the cause. I can't change them
    > because the IIS Snap-in panel doesn't appear when I right
    > click Control Panel and click Manage|Services &
    > Applications|Internet Information Services. IIS Snap-in
    > is, however, listed as installed in Add/Remove Programs
    > in Control Panel.
    > -There is no network connected to my PC. I am the
    > computer admimnistrator.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim
    This worked for me:

    1) Open Control Panel then click Folder Options then scroll to the
    bottom and turn off "Simple File Sharing"

    2) Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the database's folder, click
    Properties, click on the (now revealed) Security tab then select Everyone
    then click the "Write" checkbox the click "Apply".

    McKirahan Guest

  2. #2

    Default ASP & Databases

    Thank you to Aaron, McKirahand and Roland,

    You are correct. I changed the permissions in the
    folders containing the database file. The code now runs
    fine.

    Jim

    Jim Bowman Guest

  3. #3

    :
    : You are correct. I changed the permissions in the
    : folders containing the database file. The code now runs
    : fine.

    Glad you got it working.

    Roland Hall Guest

  4. #4

    "McKirahan" <NewsMcKirahan.com> wrote in message
    > This worked for me:
    >
    > 1) Open Control Panel then click Folder Options then scroll to the
    > bottom and turn off "Simple File Sharing"
    >
    > 2) Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the database's folder, click
    > Properties, click on the (now revealed) Security tab then select Everyone
    > then click the "Write" checkbox the click "Apply".

    What i must do to make security tab to appear (at the moment i dont have it)
    in Windows2000-folders?

    krunom Guest

  5. #5

    > What i must do to make security tab to appear (at the moment i dont have
    > it)
    > in Windows2000-folders?
    What kind of user are you logged in as?

    There is some advice here for Windows XP, maybe it is similar for 2000
    Professional. [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2205[/url]

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    i "found" now security tag (it exist only if you have NTFS file system) and
    i allowed "write" for folder that contains my database but i STILL get this
    error message:
    Operation must use an updateable query.

    why?????

    krunom Guest

  7. #7

    >i "found" now security tag (it exist only if you have NTFS file system) and
    > i allowed "write" for folder that contains my database but i STILL get
    > this
    > error message:
    > Operation must use an updateable query.
    >
    > why?????
    Well, who did you allow "write" for? You need to make sure
    IUSR_<machinename> and IWAM_<machinename> can write to that folder. When an
    ASP page, it runs as IUSR/IWAM, not you.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] Guest

  8. #8

    "krunom" wrote in message news:c5a2be$7jb$1bagan.srce.hr...
    : i "found" now security tag (it exist only if you have NTFS file system)
    and
    : i allowed "write" for folder that contains my database but i STILL get
    this
    : error message:
    : Operation must use an updateable query.
    :
    : why?????

    NTFS file system is required to set security permissions.
    I disagree with the approach of using the Everyone account, from a security
    perspective.
    Your anonymous user [IUSR_COMPUTERNAME] needs 'modify' permissions.
    Your administrative account(s) need(s) 'Full' permissions.
    The SYSTEM account needs 'Full' permissions.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */