Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP/CDO verify email address from Exchange 2000 non-delivery report - ASP Components

Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest audience possible. I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address. The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and ASP/VBScript and CDO. Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a non-delivery report? I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP/CDO verify email address from Exchange 2000 non-delivery report

    Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest audience
    possible.

    I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
    The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    ASP/VBScript and CDO.

    Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
    discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    non-delivery report?

    I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
    address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    knowing what their correct email address should be.

    It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address exists
    before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site can
    display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
    get them to re-enter it.

    I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd like
    it to be all seamless.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  3. #3

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]

    Ray at work

    "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    audience
    > possible.
    >
    > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
    > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
    > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > non-delivery report?
    >
    > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
    > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    >
    > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    exists
    > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    can
    > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
    > get them to re-enter it.
    >
    > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    like
    > it to be all seamless.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dan Williams.

    Ray at Guest

  4. #4

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]

    Ray at work

    "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    audience
    > possible.
    >
    > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
    > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
    > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > non-delivery report?
    >
    > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
    > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    >
    > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    exists
    > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    can
    > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
    > get them to re-enter it.
    >
    > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    like
    > it to be all seamless.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dan Williams.

    Ray at Guest

  5. #5

    Looks like i was right first time.

    Dan

    > [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    > audience
    > > possible.
    > >
    > > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email
    address.
    > > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and
    only
    > > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > > non-delivery report?
    > >
    > > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an
    invalid
    > > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    > >
    > > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    > exists
    > > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    > can
    > > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address
    and
    > > get them to re-enter it.
    > >
    > > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    > like
    > > it to be all seamless.
    > >
    > > Any help is much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  6. #6

    Looks like i was right first time.

    Dan

    > [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    > audience
    > > possible.
    > >
    > > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email
    address.
    > > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and
    only
    > > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > > non-delivery report?
    > >
    > > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an
    invalid
    > > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    > >
    > > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    > exists
    > > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    > can
    > > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address
    and
    > > get them to re-enter it.
    > >
    > > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    > like
    > > it to be all seamless.
    > >
    > > Any help is much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for proving my point.

    How long have you been waiting for me to post another question before you
    could put that?!?

    You're not related to this bloke by any chance are ya??
    [url]http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/blastersuspect.html[/url]

    Now get back to work! Don't forget to clean under the toilet seat!! heheh ;)

    So i take it you don't know how to do what i asked? Like you'd tell me now
    anyway!!

    Cheers anyway, you provided me with a chuckle.

    Dan.

    "Dan Williams" <dtwilliamsbtconnect.com> wrote in message
    > Looks like i was right first time.
    >
    > Dan

    > > [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]
    > >
    > > Ray at work
    > >
    > > "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > > > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    > > audience
    > > > possible.
    > > >
    > > > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email
    > address.
    > > > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > > > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address
    exists
    > > > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and
    > only
    > > > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive
    > > > non-delivery report?
    > > >
    > > > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an
    > invalid
    > > > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > > > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    > > >
    > > > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    > > exists
    > > > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the
    site
    > > can
    > > > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address
    > and
    > > > get them to re-enter it.
    > > >
    > > > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    > > like
    > > > it to be all seamless.
    > > >
    > > > Any help is much appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > >
    > > > Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for proving my point.

    How long have you been waiting for me to post another question before you
    could put that?!?

    You're not related to this bloke by any chance are ya??
    [url]http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/blastersuspect.html[/url]

    Now get back to work! Don't forget to clean under the toilet seat!! heheh ;)

    So i take it you don't know how to do what i asked? Like you'd tell me now
    anyway!!

    Cheers anyway, you provided me with a chuckle.

    Dan.

    "Dan Williams" <dtwilliamsbtconnect.com> wrote in message
    > Looks like i was right first time.
    >
    > Dan

    > > [url]http://tinyurl.com/m3vf[/url]
    > >
    > > Ray at work
    > >
    > > "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > > > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    > > audience
    > > > possible.
    > > >
    > > > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email
    > address.
    > > > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > > > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address
    exists
    > > > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and
    > only
    > > > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive
    > > > non-delivery report?
    > > >
    > > > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an
    > invalid
    > > > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > > > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    > > >
    > > > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    > > exists
    > > > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the
    site
    > > can
    > > > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address
    > and
    > > > get them to re-enter it.
    > > >
    > > > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    > > like
    > > > it to be all seamless.
    > > >
    > > > Any help is much appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance
    > > >
    > > > Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  9. #9

    Found this if anyones interested

    [url]http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/AspMX.htm[/url]

    It does mention the following however:-

    Services such as AOL accept mail for any username aol.com. Therefore there
    is no way to determine what is valid and what is not. The same is true for
    and hotmail.com. There is no known way to validate addresses for
    services such as these since their mail servers do not return any errors for
    invalid usernames.

    If anyone knows any different, then please let me know. In the meantime, it
    looks like i'll have to rely on users entering their email address
    correctly!! You'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't know their
    correct email address. Suppose its more likely that they're entering an
    invalid address on purpose. Their prerogative, i suppose. But in the end,
    they lose out on the service that i provide. Up to them! grrrr.

    There's nothing like posting replies to your own posts!

    Dan

    "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    audience
    > possible.
    >
    > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
    > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
    > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > non-delivery report?
    >
    > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
    > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    >
    > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    exists
    > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    can
    > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
    > get them to re-enter it.
    >
    > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    like
    > it to be all seamless.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dan Williams.

    Dan Williams Guest

  10. #10

    Found this if anyones interested

    [url]http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/AspMX.htm[/url]

    It does mention the following however:-

    Services such as AOL accept mail for any username aol.com. Therefore there
    is no way to determine what is valid and what is not. The same is true for
    and hotmail.com. There is no known way to validate addresses for
    services such as these since their mail servers do not return any errors for
    invalid usernames.

    If anyone knows any different, then please let me know. In the meantime, it
    looks like i'll have to rely on users entering their email address
    correctly!! You'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't know their
    correct email address. Suppose its more likely that they're entering an
    invalid address on purpose. Their prerogative, i suppose. But in the end,
    they lose out on the service that i provide. Up to them! grrrr.

    There's nothing like posting replies to your own posts!

    Dan

    "Dan Williams" <dan_williamsnewcross-nursing.com> wrote in message
    > Apologies for the cross-post but i thought i'd aim for the largest
    audience
    > possible.
    >
    > I have a web site that users have to register to with their email address.
    > The site then emails the user their password via Exchange 2000 and
    > ASP/VBScript and CDO.
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to verify that the email address exists
    > before sending the email, rather than me having to send the email and only
    > discovering that the user has input an invalid address when i receive a
    > non-delivery report?
    >
    > I also have no way of informing the user that they have entered an invalid
    > address as i have no way of contacting them, and hence, have no way of
    > knowing what their correct email address should be.
    >
    > It'd be nice if i could get my site to verify that the email address
    exists
    > before sending them their password. If the address is invalid, the site
    can
    > display a warning to the user that they've entered an invalid address and
    > get them to re-enter it.
    >
    > I have added some confirmation questions before they register, but i'd
    like
    > it to be all seamless.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance