Professional Web Applications Themes

asp code jumps ahead of dts package results - ASP Database

ok here is my predicament - i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then the asp processes the decrypted version of the file. my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the file but can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing its work. is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the package to finish? tia jt...

  1. #1

    Default asp code jumps ahead of dts package results

    ok here is my predicament -

    i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then the asp
    processes the decrypted version of the file.

    my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the file but
    can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing its work.

    is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the package
    to finish?

    tia
    jt

    JT Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: asp code jumps ahead of dts package results

    JT wrote:
    > ok here is my predicament -
    >
    > i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then
    > the asp processes the decrypted version of the file.
    >
    > my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the
    > file but can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing
    > its work.
    >
    > is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the
    > package to finish?
    >
    > tia
    > jt
    Eric covers this topic here:
    [url]http://weblogs.asp.net/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/07/53155.aspx[/url]

    Are you sure there's no "async" property you can set for the call to the
    package? What technique are you using to call the package? SQLDMO? Or
    sp_start_job?

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    i am using sp_start_job

    i just wrote another procedure to wrap the sp_start_job procedure and select
    the return value of sp_start_job into a recordset - but it seems like an
    error is only returned if the job fails to start not when the job itself
    fails

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > JT wrote:
    > > ok here is my predicament -
    > >
    > > i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then
    > > the asp processes the decrypted version of the file.
    > >
    > > my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the
    > > file but can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing
    > > its work.
    > >
    > > is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the
    > > package to finish?
    > >
    > > tia
    > > jt
    > Eric covers this topic here:
    > [url]http://weblogs.asp.net/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/07/53155.aspx[/url]
    >
    > Are you sure there's no "async" property you can set for the call to the
    > package? What technique are you using to call the package? SQLDMO? Or
    > sp_start_job?
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    JT Guest

  4. #4

    There's an easier way to run a package from ASP described here:
    [url]http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?207[/url]

    This method will execute it synchronously.

    Bob Barrows

    JT wrote:
    > i am using sp_start_job
    >
    > i just wrote another procedure to wrap the sp_start_job procedure and
    > select the return value of sp_start_job into a recordset - but it
    > seems like an error is only returned if the job fails to start not
    > when the job itself fails
    >

    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    >> JT wrote:
    >>> ok here is my predicament -
    >>>
    >>> i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then
    >>> the asp processes the decrypted version of the file.
    >>>
    >>> my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the
    >>> file but can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing
    >>> its work.
    >>>
    >>> is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the
    >>> package to finish?
    >>>
    >>> tia
    >>> jt
    >> Eric covers this topic here:
    >> [url]http://weblogs.asp.net/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/07/53155.aspx[/url]
    >>
    >> Are you sure there's no "async" property you can set for the call to
    >> the package? What technique are you using to call the package?
    >> SQLDMO? Or sp_start_job?
    >>
    >> Bob Barrows
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    your solution is exactly what i was looking for - however, now when i try to
    create the DTS.Package Object i get the following error:

    "The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access
    is denied to this object. "

    any ideas?

    > There's an easier way to run a package from ASP described here:
    > [url]http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?207[/url]
    >
    > This method will execute it synchronously.
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    >
    > JT wrote:
    > > i am using sp_start_job
    > >
    > > i just wrote another procedure to wrap the sp_start_job procedure and
    > > select the return value of sp_start_job into a recordset - but it
    > > seems like an error is only returned if the job fails to start not
    > > when the job itself fails
    > >

    > > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message

    > >> Eric covers this topic here:
    > >> [url]http://weblogs.asp.net/ericlippert/archive/2003/10/07/53155.aspx[/url]
    > >>
    > >> Are you sure there's no "async" property you can set for the call to
    > >> the package? What technique are you using to call the package?
    > >> SQLDMO? Or sp_start_job?
    > >>
    > >> Bob Barrows
    > >> --
    > >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    > >> Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
    > >> header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get
    > >> a quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    JT Guest

  6. #6

    Any way you can disable anonymous access to this page, and authenticate via
    Windows Auth as a privileged user (e.g. Administrator or Power User)?

    Basically, the user that ASP is running as must have the ability to log onto
    the machine and execute the package manually.

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    This might sound crazy, but have you considered having a stored procedure
    (not a DTS package) that decrypts the file? Then you could just spit the
    output back to ASP. You could also move the "processing" portion to the DTS
    package. You can create an ActiveX script task that has the ability to do
    anything ASP can do (and then some, due to permissions) as the second step
    of the DTS package.

    --

    > ok here is my predicament -
    >
    > i have an asp page that calls a dts package to decrypt a file, then the
    asp
    > processes the decrypted version of the file.
    >
    > my problem the asp is looking for the decrypted version of the the file
    but
    > can't find it because the dts package hasn't finished doing its work.
    >
    > is there a good way to somehow "pause" the asp code to wait for the
    package
    > to finish?
    >
    > tia
    > jt