Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP Coding - ASP Database

Is it tough to code ASP for a simple database results page? I've only ever used FrontPage wizards to create my database results ASP pages before, but I would like to (based on Ray's suggestion) try something bigger and better. Also are there any websites that offer a tutorial or something?...

  1. #1

    Default ASP Coding

    Is it tough to code ASP for a simple database results
    page? I've only ever used FrontPage wizards to create my
    database results ASP pages before, but I would like to
    (based on Ray's suggestion) try something bigger and
    better. Also are there any websites that offer a tutorial
    or something?
    Culbert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ASP Coding

    <<
    Is it tough to code ASP for a simple database results
    page? I've only ever used FrontPage wizards to create my
    database results ASP pages before, but I would like to
    (based on Ray's suggestion) try something bigger and
    better. Also are there any websites that offer a tutorial
    or something?

    Here is something I put together about ASP that hopefully might help
    somehow.

    Web Database Concept
    [url]http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp[/url]

    You and others can have access to a database hosted on the Web from any
    location that has a browser with an Internet connection.

    The Web database concept makes sense if you and your people want to do
    work in various locations in or outside the office and still be
    "plugged" in.

    For example you could have employees enter timesheets or have sales reps
    log their contacts. Or perhaps you'd like customers to be able to check
    the status of their orders online without having to call the company.

    If you want a Web database, typically what would happen is that a
    database such as Access or MySQL (basically just consisting of tables)
    would be put on the Web.

    Then "dynamic" Web pages (such as classic ASP pages which include
    VBScript, HTML, and/or JavaScript) would be created acting like the old
    desktop database's queries, forms, and reports to access the database -
    all hosted on a Web Server.

    Dynamic Web pages are similar in many ways to regular HTML pages. But
    they are "live" because the user can read from and write to information
    in the database. An example where you can login and add, edit, or view
    fictional customers and invoices is at
    [url]http://www.bullschmidt.com/login.asp[/url]

    Not all Web hosts will handle dynamic Web pages but many do. The Web
    hosts that can handle ASP pages usually have a Windows 2000 or Windows
    2003 operating system running an IIS Web server.

    Here are a few good ASP sites:
    o ASP101 Samples - [url]http://www.asp101.com/samples[/url]
    o W3Schools ASP Tutorial - [url]http://www.w3schools.com/asp[/url]
    o Microsoft VBScript Language Reference -
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm?/scripting/VBScript/doc/[/url]
    vbscripttoc.htm

    And the following newsgroup is good:
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

    Or for a "quick and dirty" generic ASP open source solution to putting
    databases on the Web (often works well for the admin area of a Web site)
    that just requires setting up a configuration page for each table or
    query and uploading the database to the Web as long as there is an
    autonumber field in each table (and you'll probably also separately want
    to create login capabilities), perhaps try something like this:
    GenericDB by Eli Robillard
    [url]http://www.genericdb.com[/url] and then click on the Tips link to see an
    example

    Best regards,
    [url]http://www.Bullschmidt.com[/url]
    Classic ASP Design Tips, ASP Web Database Sample (Freely Downloadable)

    Bullschmidt Guest

  3. #3

    Awesome. I will try that for sure!

    Culbert Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Lets say I connected to an Access database and created an
    sql and then created a drop down list.

    <%
    strSQL = "SELECT tblEV3Location.Division,
    tblEV3Location.Code FROM tblEV3Location
    ORDER BY tblEV3Location.Division;"

    set cars=adoCon.execute(strSQL)
    %>

    <select name="Division">
    <% 'Loop through the recordset to make each entry
    in the list. %>
    <% do while not cars.eof %>
    <Option value = "<%= cars(1) %>"> <%= cars
    (0) %></Option>
    <%cars.movenext
    loop%>
    </select>

    After the user selects a value from the drop-down, how do
    I refer to it in coding? I want to use the user's value
    to start another sql in the same table or to put that
    value in a textbox. For the textbox idea, how would I do
    that?

    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.
    LC Guest

  5. #5

    > After the user selects a value from the drop-down, how do
    > I refer to it in coding? I want to use the user's value
    > to start another sql in the same table or to put that
    > value in a textbox. For the textbox idea, how would I do
    > that?
    On the same page, or after submitting a form?

    If the former, please see a client-side group (e.g.
    microsoft.public.scripting.jscript).

    If the latter, and assuming <form method=post>

    Response.Write(Request.Form("Division"))

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  6. #6

    <<
    After the user selects a value from the drop-down, how do
    I refer to it in coding? I want to use the user's value
    to start another sql in the same table or to put that
    value in a textbox.

    Here's a somewhat related scenario:

    Perhaps this may hopefully give you some ideas. It's got a downloadable
    sample and does retain values after the post back:

    Classic ASP Design Tips - Dependent Listboxes
    [url]http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-dependentlistboxes.asp[/url]

    Dynamically show the results in a listbox based on what was chosen in
    another listbox.

    You can use dependent listboxes for example to let a user choose a rep
    in a reps listbox and then have only the customers for that rep be shown
    in the customers listbox.