Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP COM object EventLog messages not showing up on Server 2003 Web Edition - ASP

I have an ASP (not ASP.Net) application which was migrated to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition... the ASP application uses a COM object which adds messages to the Application EventLog. For some reason the message aren't showing up when I moved it to the new server. They showed up fine on the old server. Is this a new security limitation which Microsoft imposes on their new servers? Anyone know how I can give my COM object access to the Application EventLog? I found a suggestion from a Microsoft tech on how to hack the Registry for an ASP.Net application, ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP COM object EventLog messages not showing up on Server 2003 Web Edition

    I have an ASP (not ASP.Net) application which was
    migrated to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition...
    the ASP application uses a COM object which adds messages
    to the Application EventLog. For some reason the message
    aren't showing up when I moved it to the new server.
    They showed up fine on the old server.

    Is this a new security limitation which Microsoft imposes
    on their new servers? Anyone know how I can give my COM
    object access to the Application EventLog?

    I found a suggestion from a Microsoft tech on how to hack
    the Registry for an ASP.Net application, however, this is
    an old ASP application, and it didn't seem to work.
    Here's the url anyway:

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?[/url]
    hl=en&threadm=m08t1iYrBHA.600%
    40cpmsftngxa09&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Devent%
    2Blog%2BRequested%2Bregistry%2Baccess%2Bis%2Bnot%2 Ballowed
    Edward J. Stembler Guest

  2. #2

    You should probably ask this question on one of the Visual Basic groups.
    They'll have a better idea about what needs to be done in the VB COM
    object..

    Bob Barrows

    Edward J. Stembler wrote:
    > I have an ASP (not ASP.Net) application which was
    > migrated to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition...
    > the ASP application uses a COM object which adds messages
    > to the Application EventLog. For some reason the message
    > aren't showing up when I moved it to the new server.
    > They showed up fine on the old server.
    >
    > Is this a new security limitation which Microsoft imposes
    > on their new servers? Anyone know how I can give my COM
    > object access to the Application EventLog?
    >
    > I found a suggestion from a Microsoft tech on how to hack
    > the Registry for an ASP.Net application, however, this is
    > an old ASP application, and it didn't seem to work.
    > Here's the url anyway:
    >
    > [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?[/url]
    > hl=en&threadm=m08t1iYrBHA.600%
    > 40cpmsftngxa09&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Devent%
    > 2Blog%2BRequested%2Bregistry%2Baccess%2Bis%2Bnot%2 Ballowed

    Bob Barrows Guest

  3. #3

    I cross-posted it to a VB group as well just to get more
    exposure. But the VB COM code is not really the issue;
    ultimately it's a security issue. I just wanted to post
    the message in a few related groups to maximize my
    chances of someone see it who knows the solution.

    Edward J. Stembler Guest