Professional Web Applications Themes

asp get Table Column ( Show Active Users Names Logged On ) - ASP Database

Hello; I know how to get a "Database Table" with ASP. But what I am trying to get is the Table Column. This is what I am needing. ( Could someone please point me to some information on how to accomplish this please? ) I need to show the Current Users name's that are logged on.? I have seen this done before on a few sites. But they no longer have access to the code no more. ( Was downloadable ) What the code does is the following. Show "Members Currently Logged in" Member_name1 Member_name2 Member_name3 and so on........... Could ...

  1. #1

    Default asp get Table Column ( Show Active Users Names Logged On )

    Hello;

    I know how to get a "Database Table" with ASP.
    But what I am trying to get is the Table Column.

    This is what I am needing. ( Could someone please point me to some
    information on how to accomplish this please? )

    I need to show the Current Users name's that are logged on.?
    I have seen this done before on a few sites. But they no longer
    have access to the code no more. ( Was downloadable )

    What the code does is the following.

    Show "Members Currently Logged in"
    Member_name1
    Member_name2
    Member_name3
    and so on...........

    Could someone please point me to some information?
    Also, I am running "WinNT4 Server"

    Wayne

    Wayne & Carr Guest

  2. #2

    SELECT [NameOfColumnWithUsernames] FROM [TheTableThatStoresThisInformation]
    WHERE [TheColumnIndicatingLogonStatus]=TheValueThatMeansTheUserIsLoggedIn

    ?

    Ray at work

    "Wayne & Carr" <spamspam.net> wrote in message
    > Hello;
    >
    > I know how to get a "Database Table" with ASP.
    > But what I am trying to get is the Table Column.
    >
    > This is what I am needing. ( Could someone please point me to some
    > information on how to accomplish this please? )
    >
    > I need to show the Current Users name's that are logged on.?
    > I have seen this done before on a few sites. But they no longer
    > have access to the code no more. ( Was downloadable )
    >
    > What the code does is the following.
    >
    > Show "Members Currently Logged in"
    > Member_name1
    > Member_name2
    > Member_name3
    > and so on...........
    >
    > Could someone please point me to some information?
    > Also, I am running "WinNT4 Server"
    >
    > Wayne

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks everyone, But I think that I have this one taken care of.
    Using the Global.asa file, in routine with ASP code.
    Seems to be coming together. Have another programmer that is teaching me
    How to do this.

    Take Care All

    Wayne

    Wayne & Carr Guest

  4. #4

    If that person is suggesting using Session_OnEnd(), be aware of the issues
    dicussed here.
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2078[/url]

    > Thanks everyone, But I think that I have this one taken care of.
    > Using the Global.asa file, in routine with ASP code.
    > Seems to be coming together. Have another programmer that is teaching me
    > How to do this.
    >
    > Take Care All
    >
    > Wayne

    Ray at Guest

  5. #5

    "I also do not want to Learn [sic] the wrong way, or a bad way of coding."

    Outstanding!

    What are you trying to do? Prevent the same user from logging in two times?
    There really is not a way to do this reliably in a Web-based application.
    Why? You don't know when the person is logged in or out. If I am here at
    work and I log in to your site, close my browser, walk downstairs, and try
    to log in again, it will appear to your application that I am still logged
    in, however you track it. And then I will curse your site because it does
    not let me in. But, perhaps you should tell us what you're looking to
    acheive. Chances are there's some samples out there somewhere!

    > Thank you "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" ;
    >
    > It is proving to be a nightmare.
    > Disabling anonymous access. And that is not what I need nor want to do.
    > So I am not sure what is going to be done.
    > So... Thank you for your link, I will check it out now.
    >
    > If you have any other idea's I would be mighty grateful.
    >
    > I am trying to learn as much as I can about ASP. but I also do not want to
    > Learn the wrong way, or a bad way of coding.
    >
    > Thank You
    > Wayne

    Ray at Guest

  6. #6

    Hello "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" ;

    For what I want to do, there is a Sample. and there is an actual
    Download for it, but it was about 2 years ago when I saw it on a site.
    I thought at first it was " Web Wiz " But after contacting the site owner.
    He informed me that it was not his site. But he does have something like
    It in the "Web Wiz Forum" But the forum "To me" is so conjested.
    That is is hard to figure out exactly how it is done, on his part.
    " Web Wiz Forum - Active Users "

    This is what I am wanting to do?

    When a member logs onto the site. They will be able to see
    Not only themselves logged on, but the other members that are logged onto
    the site as well.

    Example:
    Lets say that you are a member of a site. and when you log onto the site.
    You look in 1 of the Tables and it shows you

    Members Currently Logged on
    Member_name1
    Member_name1 <-- This is your Login name
    Member_name3
    Member_name4
    Member_Admin <-- The admin is also logged onto the site.

    The above example, is what I need to show.

    See the site that I have built, which is basically ready, I have had some
    request
    From 1 of the members, that he would like to see what other members are
    logged on
    the site at the same time. And this is also something that I would like to
    have in it as well.

    I hope that I have explained it good to you, and that you understand what
    I am trying to achive.

    Wayne

    Wayne & Carr Guest

  7. #7

    I think that I have found one.

    [url]http://www.charon.co.uk/content.aspx?CategoryID=4&ArticleID=39[/url]

    I have tested it, and it works pretty decent,
    I am going to rip through the code and see what it like, and what it is all
    about.

    Wayne

    Wayne & Carr Guest

  8. #8

    > I think that I have found one.
    >
    > [url]http://www.charon.co.uk/content.aspx?CategoryID=4&ArticleID=39[/url]
    >
    > I have tested it, and it works pretty decent,
    > I am going to rip through the code and see what it like, and what it is
    all
    > about.
    >
    > Wayne

    The above code seems to have something going on with it as well?
    Seems that it is still grabbing the information from the time that I tested
    out what
    The other ASP Programmer told me to do, and set the "Disabling anonymous
    access"
    And I had to logon to the site as the Network administrator.
    And this is a program, because using the script's above, it will only grab a
    hold of that user.
    And I cannot seem to get out of it,
    I tried to logon with a test account
    admin / admin
    And it still shows the Current members online as "The machines user" ??

    This is a pain in the ars.

    Just wanted to keep you posted.

    Wayne

    Wayne & Carr Guest

  9. #9

    > > > [url]http://www.charon.co.uk/content.aspx?CategoryID=4&ArticleID=39[/url]
    Just wanted to inform everyone, that I have taken the above example, and
    after a few hours.
    Into a full day, and totally converted it to work for my site.
    And then after I completed, I wrapped a Demo up for the developer. as he
    could not
    believe that it would run on a WinNT4 server, he though it only run on Win2k
    and newer.
    But I added in a Registration page, and made the Member Information page a
    lot nicer.
    So for those interested, this is a great script, and hopefully the
    developer, will add in my
    Changes to his site.

    Take Care all
    Wayne