Professional Web Applications Themes

asp:literal and hyperlink field - ASP.NET General

I'm new to asp.net. (refugee from old asp) I have a database field "Website", which is a url and I want it be a hyperlink. I can display the url as text using: <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal> But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in an <a href......> tag but no good. Any tips for a newbie?? Thanks Leslie...

  1. #1

    Default asp:literal and hyperlink field

    I'm new to asp.net. (refugee from old asp)
    I have a database field "Website", which is a url and I want it be a
    hyperlink. I can display the url as text using:

    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    an <a href......> tag but no good.

    Any tips for a newbie??
    Thanks
    Leslie
    les Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    uh, no that's not how to do it! :-)

    <asp:LinkButton id="link1" runat=server />

    then, in your code-behind:

    at top:
    Protected link1 as LinkButton

    and finally, within your code - one way to do this:

    link1.text=o_dataRow.item("WebSite")

    That's it...

    PS: this is pretty basic stuff, not complicated. Glad to answer this kind
    of stuff, but you should have been able to find this in ANY beginner book on
    ASP.Net stuff. You should get and read one of um...


    <les> wrote in message news:s0legvo091p23o389cp0vtevmddtmq9r094ax.com...
    > I'm new to asp.net. (refugee from old asp)
    > I have a database field "Website", which is a url and I want it be a
    > hyperlink. I can display the url as text using:
    >
    > <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    >
    > But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    > an <a href......> tag but no good.
    >
    > Any tips for a newbie??
    > Thanks
    > Leslie

    David Waz... Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    Well it could be as simple as this:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"><a href='whatever.aspx'>click
    here</a></asp:literal>

    Or you could put a hyperlink web server control in there, etc.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD
    [url]http://Steve.Orr.net[/url]



    <les> wrote in message news:7cnegv8o3fpodpmf03rfsuj1ji208cbfhr4ax.com...
    > Thanks Steve, but how would you do this?
    >
    > <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server">???????????</asp:literal>
    >
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0700, "Steve C. Orr, MCSD"
    > <SteveOrr.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Try doing it the other way around: enclosing your hyperlink in between
    the
    > >literal tags.
    > >
    > >--
    > >I hope this helps,
    > >Steve C. Orr, MCSD
    > >[url]http://Steve.Orr.net[/url]
    > >
    > >
    > ><les> wrote in message news:s0legvo091p23o389cp0vtevmddtmq9r094ax.com...
    > >> I'm new to asp.net. (refugee from old asp)
    > >> I have a database field "Website", which is a url and I want it be a
    > >> hyperlink. I can display the url as text using:
    > >>
    > >> <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    > >>
    > >> But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    > >> an <a href......> tag but no good.
    > >>
    > >> Any tips for a newbie??
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Leslie
    > >
    >

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    Thanks David, but believe me I have searched everywhere for this!
    Maybe its so basic that I can't see it. I managed to include links in
    datagrid pages with no problem, but this is doing my head in.

    The code here shows my data on the page sucessfully, but could you
    show me how I amend it to show the link. Also, some fields are long
    text with carriage returns. How do I show these properly formatted?
    Thanks again
    Leslie

    =============================

    <script runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load (sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    Dim conn As OleDbConnection
    Dim cmd As OleDbCommand
    Dim rdr As OleDbDataReader
    Dim strId As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    strId = Request.QueryString("id")

    Conn = New OleDbConnection ("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;
    server=servername;database=briefings;User Id=;Password=;")
    Conn.open

    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Briefings WHERE id = " & strId & " "
    cmd = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, conn)
    rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader
    If rdr.Read Then
    litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    litWebsite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")

    Else
    litID.Text = "ID '" & strId & "' not found"
    End If
    rdr.Close
    cmd.Dispose
    conn.Close
    End Sub

    </script>
    ================================

    Then in the html:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    ================================





    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:53:02 GMT, "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com>
    wrote:
    >uh, no that's not how to do it! :-)
    >
    ><asp:LinkButton id="link1" runat=server />
    >
    >then, in your code-behind:
    >
    >at top:
    >Protected link1 as LinkButton
    >
    >and finally, within your code - one way to do this:
    >
    >link1.text=o_dataRow.item("WebSite")
    >
    >That's it...
    >
    >PS: this is pretty basic stuff, not complicated. Glad to answer this kind
    >of stuff, but you should have been able to find this in ANY beginner book on
    >ASP.Net stuff. You should get and read oneofum...leswroteinmessagenewss0legvo091p23o389cp 0vtevmddtmq9r094ax.zl6...I'mnewtoasp.net.refugeef romoldaspIhaveadatabasefieldWebsite,whichisaurland Iwantitbeahyperlink.Icandisplaytheurlastextusingas pliteral id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    >>
    >> But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    >> an <a href......> tag but no good.
    >>
    >> Any tips for a newbie??
    >> Thanks
    >> Leslie
    >
    les Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    Thanks. I found another way to do it using:

    litWebsite.text = "<A HREF='" + rdr.Item("Website") + "'>" +
    rdr.Item("Website") + "</A>"

    and in the html:
    <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>

    But I will keep your answer for next time :)

    By the way I already have a book: "Web database development step by
    step" by Jim Buyens. I have found it very useful, having come from
    asp, just starting out with .net. Also I just discovered Web Matrix
    which is good for editing.

    Thanks again
    Leslie

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 17:27:30 GMT, "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com>
    wrote:
    >I understand..
    >(get the book anyway! ;)
    >
    >I really did answer this last time...
    >I'm assuming you have litTitle as labels or literal controls on your page.
    >IE:
    ><asp:Label id=litEmail>...
    ><asp:label id=litDetails>...
    ><asp:Label id="litWebSite">...
    >
    >Well, REMOVE the current control for the WEBSITE field, and replace it with:
    ><asp:LinkButton id="linkWebSite" runat=server >Not Found</asp:LinkButton>
    >
    >Then in the code behind:
    >> If rdr.Read Then
    >> litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    >> litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    >> litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    >> litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    >> litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    >> litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    >> litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    >> linkWebSite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")
    >
    >That should do it... let us all know which book you picked!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    ><les> wrote in message news:b57ggvk5b5n1i9071bhruq9j2javm003r54ax.com...
    >> Thanks David, but believe me I have searched everywhere for this!
    >> Maybe its so basic that I can't see it. I managed to include links in
    >> datagrid pages with no problem, but this is doing my head in.
    >>
    >> The code here shows my data on the page sucessfully, but could you
    >> show me how I amend it to show the link. Also, some fields are long
    >> text with carriage returns. How do I show these properly formatted?
    >> Thanks again
    >> Leslie
    >>
    >> =============================
    >>
    >> <script runat="server">
    >> Sub Page_Load (sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    >> Dim conn As OleDbConnection
    >> Dim cmd As OleDbCommand
    >> Dim rdr As OleDbDataReader
    >> Dim strId As String
    >> Dim strSQL As String
    >> strId = Request.QueryString("id")
    >>
    >> Conn = New OleDbConnection ("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;
    >> server=servername;database=briefings;User Id=;Password=;")
    >> Conn.open
    >>
    >> strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Briefings WHERE id = " & strId & " "
    >> cmd = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, conn)
    >> rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader
    >> If rdr.Read Then
    >> litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    >> litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    >> litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    >> litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    >> litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    >> litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    >> litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    >> litWebsite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")
    >>
    >> Else
    >> litID.Text = "ID '" & strId & "' not found"
    >> End If
    >> rdr.Close
    >> cmd.Dispose
    >> conn.Close
    >> End Sub
    >>
    >> </script>
    >> ================================
    >>
    >> Then in the html:
    >> <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    >>
    >> ================================
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:53:02 GMT, "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >uh, no that's not how to do it! :-)
    >> >
    >> ><asp:LinkButton id="link1" runat=server />
    >> >
    >> >then, in your code-behind:
    >> >
    >> >at top:
    >> >Protected link1 as LinkButton
    >> >
    >> >and finally, within your code - one way to do this:
    >> >
    >> >link1.text=o_dataRow.item("WebSite")
    >> >
    >> >That's it...
    >> >
    >> >PS: this is pretty basic stuff, not complicated. Glad to answer this
    >kind
    >> >of stuff, but you should have been able to find this in ANY beginner book
    >on
    >> >ASP.Net stuff. You should get and read
    >oneofum...leswroteinmessagenewss0legvo091p23o389c p0vtevmddtmq9r094ax.zl6...
    >I'mnewtoasp.net.refugeefromoldaspIhaveadatabasefi eldWebsite,whichisaurlandIw
    >antitbeahyperlink.Icandisplaytheurlastextusingasp literal id="litWebsite"
    >runat="server"></asp:literal>
    >> >>
    >> >> But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    >> >> an <a href......> tag but no good.
    >> >>
    >> >> Any tips for a newbie??
    >> >> Thanks
    >> >> Leslie
    >> >
    >>
    >
    les Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    That'll work - but it's ugly! (MHO) ;-)

    I wish you would try the .Net way - you'll learn something new, and not get
    into bad habits.


    <les> wrote in message news:0gnggvk87b98fqpfg7sd7i71cn396i27af4ax.com...
    > Thanks. I found another way to do it using:
    >
    > litWebsite.text = "<A HREF='" + rdr.Item("Website") + "'>" +
    > rdr.Item("Website") + "</A>"
    >
    > and in the html:
    > <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    >
    > But I will keep your answer for next time :)
    >
    > By the way I already have a book: "Web database development step by
    > step" by Jim Buyens. I have found it very useful, having come from
    > asp, just starting out with .net. Also I just discovered Web Matrix
    > which is good for editing.
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Leslie
    >
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 17:27:30 GMT, "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I understand..
    > >(get the book anyway! ;)
    > >
    > >I really did answer this last time...
    > >I'm assuming you have litTitle as labels or literal controls on your
    page.
    > >IE:
    > ><asp:Label id=litEmail>...
    > ><asp:label id=litDetails>...
    > ><asp:Label id="litWebSite">...
    > >
    > >Well, REMOVE the current control for the WEBSITE field, and replace it
    with:
    > ><asp:LinkButton id="linkWebSite" runat=server >Not Found</asp:LinkButton>
    > >
    > >Then in the code behind:
    > >> If rdr.Read Then
    > >> litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    > >> litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    > >> litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    > >> litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    > >> litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    > >> litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    > >> litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    > >> linkWebSite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")
    > >
    > >That should do it... let us all know which book you picked!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > ><les> wrote in message news:b57ggvk5b5n1i9071bhruq9j2javm003r54ax.com...
    > >> Thanks David, but believe me I have searched everywhere for this!
    > >> Maybe its so basic that I can't see it. I managed to include links in
    > >> datagrid pages with no problem, but this is doing my head in.
    > >>
    > >> The code here shows my data on the page sucessfully, but could you
    > >> show me how I amend it to show the link. Also, some fields are long
    > >> text with carriage returns. How do I show these properly formatted?
    > >> Thanks again
    > >> Leslie
    > >>
    > >> =============================
    > >>
    > >> <script runat="server">
    > >> Sub Page_Load (sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
    > >> Dim conn As OleDbConnection
    > >> Dim cmd As OleDbCommand
    > >> Dim rdr As OleDbDataReader
    > >> Dim strId As String
    > >> Dim strSQL As String
    > >> strId = Request.QueryString("id")
    > >>
    > >> Conn = New OleDbConnection ("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;
    > >> server=servername;database=briefings;User Id=;Password=;")
    > >> Conn.open
    > >>
    > >> strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Briefings WHERE id = " & strId & " "
    > >> cmd = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, conn)
    > >> rdr = cmd.ExecuteReader
    > >> If rdr.Read Then
    > >> litid.Text = rdr.Item("id")
    > >> litTitle.Text = rdr.Item("Title")
    > >> litEmail.Text = rdr.Item("Email")
    > >> litAddDate.Text = Format(rdr.Item("AddDate"), "dd-MMM-yyyy")
    > >> litContact.Text = rdr.Item("Contact")
    > >> litDetails.Text = rdr.Item("Details")
    > >> litAuthor.Text = rdr.Item("Author")
    > >> litWebsite.Text = rdr.Item("Website")
    > >>
    > >> Else
    > >> litID.Text = "ID '" & strId & "' not found"
    > >> End If
    > >> rdr.Close
    > >> cmd.Dispose
    > >> conn.Close
    > >> End Sub
    > >>
    > >> </script>
    > >> ================================
    > >>
    > >> Then in the html:
    > >> <asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"></asp:literal>
    > >>
    > >> ================================
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:53:02 GMT, "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >uh, no that's not how to do it! :-)
    > >> >
    > >> ><asp:LinkButton id="link1" runat=server />
    > >> >
    > >> >then, in your code-behind:
    > >> >
    > >> >at top:
    > >> >Protected link1 as LinkButton
    > >> >
    > >> >and finally, within your code - one way to do this:
    > >> >
    > >> >link1.text=o_dataRow.item("WebSite")
    > >> >
    > >> >That's it...
    > >> >
    > >> >PS: this is pretty basic stuff, not complicated. Glad to answer this
    > >kind
    > >> >of stuff, but you should have been able to find this in ANY beginner
    book
    > >on
    > >> >ASP.Net stuff. You should get and read
    >
    >oneofum...leswroteinmessagenewss0legvo091p23o389c p0vtevmddtmq9r094ax.zl6..
    ..
    >
    >I'mnewtoasp.net.refugeefromoldaspIhaveadatabasefi eldWebsite,whichisaurlandI
    w
    > >antitbeahyperlink.Icandisplaytheurlastextusingasp literal id="litWebsite"
    > >runat="server"></asp:literal>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> But I want it to be a hyperlink. I tried enclosing the above line in
    > >> >> an <a href......> tag but no good.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Any tips for a newbie??
    > >> >> Thanks
    > >> >> Leslie
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >
    >

    David Waz... Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: asp:literal and hyperlink field

    You could do something along those lines if you made, say, a datatable a
    static member. That's key -- has to be static to be callable:

    <%=this.StaticDataTable.Rows[0]["Website"].ToString()%> or something like
    that...

    Or make the row static:

    <%=this.StaticRow["Website"].ToString()%>

    So your accessors would look like this:

    public static DataTable StaticDataTable()
    {
    // Load your data, returning the datatable.
    }

    public static DataRow StaticRow()
    {
    // Load your data, get the row and return it.
    }

    But I don't think you could do it with a reader. Anyone correct me if I'm
    wrong on that.

    If you're looking for something that repeats, and will accept your
    formatting and the like given a datareader, take a look at the Repeater web
    control.

    Luck!

    <les> wrote in message news:csmfgvo55d1al9263lvsssgv1rsacmfm904ax.com...
    > I'm a bit lost here!
    > What I need to do is the asp.net equivalent of:
    >
    > <a href="<%=rs(Website")%>"><%=rs("Website")%></a>
    >
    > How would I do that?
    > Thanks
    > Leslie
    >
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:56:29 -0700, "Steve C. Orr, MCSD"
    > <SteveOrr.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Well it could be as simple as this:
    > ><asp:literal id="litWebsite" runat="server"><a href='whatever.aspx'>click
    > >here</a></asp:literal>
    > >
    > >Or you could put a hyperlink web server control in there, etc.
    >

    msnews.microsoft.com Guest

Similar Threads

  1. hyperlink within a field
    By Hedwig webforumsuser@macromedia.com in forum Macromedia Director Lingo
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 16th, 04:21 PM
  2. hyperlink with echo'ed field
    By entoone in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 9th, 04:01 PM
  3. Creating hyperlink from text in a field
    By Bobby Ropolski in forum Macromedia Director Lingo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 28th, 05:24 AM
  4. HyperLink field not reacting properly
    By JP Hollande in forum Microsoft Access
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 25th, 10:13 PM
  5. Hyperlink in a text field
    By Brad Wolf in forum Macromedia Director Basics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 14th, 05:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139