Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP.NET access denied to SQL Server 2000 - ASP Database

I've been working on a WebService project with a local datasource. I moved the datasource to be another server. So now IIS and SQL Server are on different machines. And now i perpetually get: SQL Server does not exist or access denied Things I've tried: 1. Changed the <processModel> username and password values to: A. System, AutoGenerated B. MyUsername, MyPassword C. DomainAdmin, DomainAdminPassword D. LocalUserWithSameNameAsRemoteUser, passwordDitto 2. Changed to Windows Integrated Authentiaction 3. Used he servers IP Address instead of its name And many more rediculous things I won't even mention. All to no avail. And through all this I ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP.NET access denied to SQL Server 2000

    I've been working on a WebService project with a local
    datasource. I moved the datasource to be another server.
    So now IIS and SQL Server are on different machines. And
    now i perpetually get:
    SQL Server does not exist or access denied

    Things I've tried:
    1. Changed the <processModel> username and password
    values to:
    A. System, AutoGenerated
    B. MyUsername, MyPassword
    C. DomainAdmin, DomainAdminPassword
    D. LocalUserWithSameNameAsRemoteUser, passwordDitto
    2. Changed to Windows Integrated Authentiaction
    3. Used he servers IP Address instead of its name

    And many more rediculous things I won't even mention. All
    to no avail.

    And through all this I can access the same database via
    Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer and Enterprise manager
    and Query yser and Profiler (even thought the same
    domain accounts, using Run as...., that fail from ASP).

    I've read a number of atricals say that the ASPNET
    account is local and can't authenticate remotly but
    changing the processModel info to a domain user has no
    effect. I've even been sure to restart IIS each time I
    change the values.

    I have .NET Framework 1.1 and but I'm not using the
    encrypted registry option offered for extra security.

    And I dont want to have to connect thought a COM+
    component.

    This has been driving me nuts. Any help is greatly
    appriciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Jan Bannister

    Jan Bannister Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ASP.NET access denied to SQL Server 2000

    This group is for old-timer's ASP. You'll probably get better help where
    the new guys hang out (newsgroups have dotnet/aspnet in the name).

    "Jan Bannister" <timewatchdevelopertime.com> wrote in message
    > I've been working on a WebService project with a local
    > datasource. I moved the datasource to be another server.
    > So now IIS and SQL Server are on different machines. And
    > now i perpetually get:
    > SQL Server does not exist or access denied
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > 1. Changed the <processModel> username and password
    > values to:
    > A. System, AutoGenerated
    > B. MyUsername, MyPassword
    > C. DomainAdmin, DomainAdminPassword
    > D. LocalUserWithSameNameAsRemoteUser, passwordDitto
    > 2. Changed to Windows Integrated Authentiaction
    > 3. Used he servers IP Address instead of its name
    >
    > And many more rediculous things I won't even mention. All
    > to no avail.
    >
    > And through all this I can access the same database via
    > Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer and Enterprise manager
    > and Query yser and Profiler (even thought the same
    > domain accounts, using Run as...., that fail from ASP).
    >
    > I've read a number of atricals say that the ASPNET
    > account is local and can't authenticate remotly but
    > changing the processModel info to a domain user has no
    > effect. I've even been sure to restart IIS each time I
    > change the values.
    >
    > I have .NET Framework 1.1 and but I'm not using the
    > encrypted registry option offered for extra security.
    >
    > And I dont want to have to connect thought a COM+
    > component.
    >
    > This has been driving me nuts. Any help is greatly
    > appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Jan Bannister

    Foo Man Chew Guest

  3. #3

    This is better in the microsoft.public.dotnet.adonet group.

    The issue has to do with a couple of things:

    1) You did not update the connection string when the server was moved. If
    so, you need to edit it. NOTE: If you used drag and drop, it is in the
    webform generated section.

    2) The SQL Server is used Windows auth only and you are trying to pass a
    username and password in the connstring. The way around this is either COM+
    (a bit heavy) or changing thread identity when accessing the database (more
    advanced coding), unless you can change the server to mixed mode.

    3) Another option is to turn off anonymous access and force users to logon.
    Each user will require belonging to a group that is mapped to a SQL security
    account. This is not an option for INternet apps.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!
    "Jan Bannister" <timewatchdevelopertime.com> wrote in message
    > I've been working on a WebService project with a local
    > datasource. I moved the datasource to be another server.
    > So now IIS and SQL Server are on different machines. And
    > now i perpetually get:
    > SQL Server does not exist or access denied
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > 1. Changed the <processModel> username and password
    > values to:
    > A. System, AutoGenerated
    > B. MyUsername, MyPassword
    > C. DomainAdmin, DomainAdminPassword
    > D. LocalUserWithSameNameAsRemoteUser, passwordDitto
    > 2. Changed to Windows Integrated Authentiaction
    > 3. Used he servers IP Address instead of its name
    >
    > And many more rediculous things I won't even mention. All
    > to no avail.
    >
    > And through all this I can access the same database via
    > Visual Studio 2003 Server Explorer and Enterprise manager
    > and Query yser and Profiler (even thought the same
    > domain accounts, using Run as...., that fail from ASP).
    >
    > I've read a number of atricals say that the ASPNET
    > account is local and can't authenticate remotly but
    > changing the processModel info to a domain user has no
    > effect. I've even been sure to restart IIS each time I
    > change the values.
    >
    > I have .NET Framework 1.1 and but I'm not using the
    > encrypted registry option offered for extra security.
    >
    > And I dont want to have to connect thought a COM+
    > component.
    >
    > This has been driving me nuts. Any help is greatly
    > appriciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Jan Bannister

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) Guest