Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP.Net and ADO Connections - ASP.NET General

Carl: In the current VB6 app, the user logs into the db once, does a whole lot of things across 7-15 screens, and gets logged off the db as he exits the app. If I understand you correctly, in the ASP.NET version he would be logged in and out for each screen. Won't that be rather time consuming? -- // Lee Silver // Information Concepts Inc. // [url]http://www.information-concepts.com[/url] Facilitating the automated conversion of Data into Information since 1982 > "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote > >>We have an existing VB6 app that a number of external users want converted to be ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ASP.Net and ADO Connections

    --
    // Lee Silver
    // Information Concepts Inc.
    // [url]http://www.information-concepts.com[/url]

    Facilitating the automated conversion of Data into Information
    since 1982

    > "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote
    >
    >>We have an existing VB6 app that a number of external users want converted to be
    >>a Web app.
    >>The business and db layers are in VB6 Com Dll's; which we obviously want to
    >>leverage as much as possible.
    >>I know an ADO.NET Connection should not be stored as a Session-variable; but
    >>does the same hold true for an ADO Connection?
    >>

    > Correct, do not store the Connection object in a Session var. Just open and
    > close the connection as needed on each web page (use Connection Pooling).
    >
    > You can (if you want) stored the connection **string** in a Session or
    > Application var.
    Lee Silver Guest

  2. #2

    "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote
    > In the current VB6 app, the user logs into the db once, does a whole lot of
    > things across 7-15 screens, and gets logged off the db as he exits the app.
    >
    > If I understand you correctly, in the ASP.NET version he would be logged in and
    > out for each screen. Won't that be rather time consuming?

    No, because you will be using Connection Pooling.
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/using/building/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/daag.asp[/url]

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    > --
    > // Lee Silver
    > // Information Concepts Inc.
    > // [url]http://www.information-concepts.com[/url]
    >
    > Facilitating the automated conversion of Data into Information
    > since 1982
    >

    > > "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote
    > >
    > >>We have an existing VB6 app that a number of external users want converted to be
    > >>a Web app.
    > >>The business and db layers are in VB6 Com Dll's; which we obviously want to
    > >>leverage as much as possible.
    > >>I know an ADO.NET Connection should not be stored as a Session-variable; but
    > >>does the same hold true for an ADO Connection?
    > >>

    > > Correct, do not store the Connection object in a Session var. Just open and
    > > close the connection as needed on each web page (use Connection Pooling).
    > >
    > > You can (if you want) stored the connection **string** in a Session or
    > > Application var.

    Carl Prothman [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    Carl:

    I took a quick look at the link you gave and it looks like it pertains to
    ADO.NET only; but I'm looking for something that pertains to ADO.

    --
    // Lee Silver
    // Information Concepts Inc.
    // [url]http://www.information-concepts.com[/url]

    Facilitating the automated conversion of Data into Information
    since 1982

    > "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote
    >
    >>In the current VB6 app, the user logs into the db once, does a whole lot of
    >>things across 7-15 screens, and gets logged off the db as he exits the app.
    >>
    >>If I understand you correctly, in the ASP.NET version he would be logged in and
    >>out for each screen. Won't that be rather time consuming?
    >>

    > No, because you will be using Connection Pooling.
    > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/using/building/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/daag.asp[/url]
    >
    > --
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carl Prothman
    > Microsoft ASP.NET MVP
    > [url]http://www.able-consulting.com[/url]
    >

    >>--
    >>// Lee Silver
    >>// Information Concepts Inc.
    >>// [url]http://www.information-concepts.com[/url]
    >>
    >>Facilitating the automated conversion of Data into Information
    >>since 1982
    >>

    >>>"Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote

    >>>Correct, do not store the Connection object in a Session var. Just open and
    >>>close the connection as needed on each web page (use Connection Pooling).
    >>>
    >>>You can (if you want) stored the connection **string** in a Session or
    >>>Application var.
    Lee Silver Guest

  4. #4

    "Lee Silver" <LSilverinformation-concepts.com> wrote
    > I took a quick look at the link you gave and it looks like it pertains to
    > ADO.NET only; but I'm looking for something that pertains to ADO.

    Here is an article that talks about classic ADO connection pooling
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnmdac/html/pooling2.asp[/url]

    Note there are newsgroups for classic ASP and ADO questions:

    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
    microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db
    microsoft.public.data.ado