Hi Gregory, Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this but will run some checks as you have suggested. The network issue really is confusing, certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we are running do not experience this problem at all. Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the system and jump between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work perfectly. It seems that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time then choose another lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know if that gives you any further clues. I have altered the web.config file to say debug="false", which has made no difference and have checked the code and I certainly believe that all objects used are being destroyed after use. Another clue that may help is that part of the system is 'upgraded' classic asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages and got rid of the 'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and have set aspcompat accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this as being an issue due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my machine. If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to this please let me know. Many thanks again, Carl "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote in message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...[quote] > I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it is predictable, but > unknown. > > I would suggest profiling both the machine and the application. Tracing[/quote] can[quote] > help some, but you are going to have to examine what the machine is doing > when the app is running (along with what other apps are running and what > they are doing). > > The topology of the network can also be a major influence. If you web[/quote] server[quote] > has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a disavantage from[/quote] your[quote] > XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need to know what it is > doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code possibly, which is > easiest done with logging (which slows down the app while it is > instituted)). > > I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of variables here. > > -- > Gregory A. Beamer > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge > >[/quote] ****************************************************************************[quote] > **** > Think Outside the Box! >[/quote] ****************************************************************************[quote] > **** > "Carl Howarth" wrote in message > news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...[quote] > > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get this issue resolved! > > > > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long enough I get a[/quote][/quote] 'General[quote][quote] > > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be down to the web[/quote] > servers[quote] > > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration value in the web.config > > file? > > > > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to put the system live > > ASAP. > > > > Many thanks, Carl Howarth > > > > > > Hi, > > > > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in ASP.NET (vb). The system > > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's machine. We are[/quote][/quote] running[quote][quote] > > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which have been upgraded to[/quote] > .net[quote] > > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows update. > > > > When we deploy the application to either web server the performance is > > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine). Sometimes the system[/quote][/quote] will[quote][quote] > > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an instant, others it[/quote][/quote] will[quote][quote] > > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages that are not accessing[/quote] > our[quote] > > database). It's nothing to do with connections being left open and it's > > bizarre how the issues are completely unpredictable. The systems are > > transferred simply by copying the contents of the web site folder on our > > machines to the web site folder on the server(s). > > > > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and if so, please please[/quote] > let[quote] > > me know how to get around it! > > > > Thanks very much, > > > > Carl Howarth > > [email]carl.howarth@m-s-solutions.co.uk[/email] > > > >[/quote] > >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Carl Howarth [ip] => carl.howarth@m- [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 1 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => 1 [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> >Hi Gregory, > >Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this[/quote] but will run some[quote] >checks as you have suggested. The network issue really[/quote] is confusing,[quote] >certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we[/quote] are running do not[quote] >experience this problem at all. > >Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the[/quote] system and jump[quote] >between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work[/quote] perfectly. It seems[quote] >that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time[/quote] then choose another[quote] >lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know[/quote] if that gives you[quote] >any further clues. I have altered the web.config file[/quote] to say debug="false",[quote] >which has made no difference and have checked the code[/quote] and I certainly[quote] >believe that all objects used are being destroyed after[/quote] use.[quote] > >Another clue that may help is that part of the system[/quote] is 'upgraded' classic[quote] >asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages[/quote] and got rid of the[quote] >'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and[/quote] have set aspcompat[quote] >accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this[/quote] as being an issue[quote] >due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my[/quote] machine.[quote] > >If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to[/quote] this please let me[quote] >know. > >Many thanks again, Carl > > >"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)"[/quote] wrote in[quote] >message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...[quote] >> I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it[/quote][/quote] is predictable, but[quote][quote] >> unknown. >> >> I would suggest profiling both the machine and the[/quote][/quote] application. Tracing[quote] >can[quote] >> help some, but you are going to have to examine what[/quote][/quote] the machine is doing[quote][quote] >> when the app is running (along with what other apps[/quote][/quote] are running and what[quote][quote] >> they are doing). >> >> The topology of the network can also be a major[/quote][/quote] influence. If you web[quote] >server[quote] >> has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a[/quote][/quote] disavantage from[quote] >your[quote] >> XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need[/quote][/quote] to know what it is[quote][quote] >> doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code[/quote][/quote] possibly, which is[quote][quote] >> easiest done with logging (which slows down the app[/quote][/quote] while it is[quote][quote] >> instituted)). >> >> I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of[/quote][/quote] variables here.[quote][quote] >> >> -- >> Gregory A. Beamer >> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA >> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge >> >>[/quote] >*********************************************************[/quote] *******************[quote][quote] >> **** >> Think Outside the Box! >>[/quote] >*********************************************************[/quote] *******************[quote][quote] >> **** >> "Carl Howarth" [/quote][/quote] wrote in message[quote][quote] >> news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...[quote] >> > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get[/quote][/quote][/quote] this issue resolved![quote][quote][quote] >> > >> > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long[/quote][/quote][/quote] enough I get a[quote] >'General[quote][quote] >> > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be[/quote][/quote][/quote] down to the web[quote][quote] >> servers[quote] >> > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration[/quote][/quote][/quote] value in the web.config[quote][quote][quote] >> > file? >> > >> > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to[/quote][/quote][/quote] put the system live[quote][quote][quote] >> > ASAP. >> > >> > Many thanks, Carl Howarth >> > >> > >> > Hi, >> > >> > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in[/quote][/quote][/quote] ASP.NET (vb). The system[quote][quote][quote] >> > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's[/quote][/quote][/quote] machine. We are[quote] >running[quote][quote] >> > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which[/quote][/quote][/quote] have been upgraded to[quote][quote] >> .net[quote] >> > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows[/quote][/quote][/quote] update.[quote][quote][quote] >> > >> > When we deploy the application to either web server[/quote][/quote][/quote] the performance is[quote][quote][quote] >> > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine).[/quote][/quote][/quote] Sometimes the system[quote] >will[quote][quote] >> > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an[/quote][/quote][/quote] instant, others it[quote] >will[quote][quote] >> > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages[/quote][/quote][/quote] that are not accessing[quote][quote] >> our[quote] >> > database). It's nothing to do with connections[/quote][/quote][/quote] being left open and it's[quote][quote][quote] >> > bizarre how the issues are completely[/quote][/quote][/quote] unpredictable. The systems are[quote][quote][quote] >> > transferred simply by copying the contents of the[/quote][/quote][/quote] web site folder on our[quote][quote][quote] >> > machines to the web site folder on the server(s). >> > >> > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and[/quote][/quote][/quote] if so, please please[quote][quote] >> let[quote] >> > me know how to get around it! >> > >> > Thanks very much, >> > >> > Carl Howarth >> > [email]carl.howarth@m-s-solutions.co.uk[/email] >> > >> >[/quote] >> >>[/quote] > > > >. >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <07b101c35d9d$ba7e3db0$a601280a@phx.gbl> [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Ravikanth[MVP] [ip] => dvravikanth@hot [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> > Hi Gregory, > > Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this but will run some > checks as you have suggested. The network issue really is confusing, > certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we are running do not > experience this problem at all. > > Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the system and jump > between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work perfectly. It seems > that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time then choose[/quote] another[quote] > lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know if that gives you > any further clues. I have altered the web.config file to say[/quote] debug="false",[quote] > which has made no difference and have checked the code and I certainly > believe that all objects used are being destroyed after use. > > Another clue that may help is that part of the system is 'upgraded'[/quote] classic[quote] > asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages and got rid of the > 'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and have set aspcompat > accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this as being an issue > due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my machine. > > If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to this please let me > know. > > Many thanks again, Carl > > > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote[/quote] in[quote] > message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...[quote] > > I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it is predictable, but > > unknown. > > > > I would suggest profiling both the machine and the application. Tracing[/quote] > can[quote] > > help some, but you are going to have to examine what the machine is[/quote][/quote] doing[quote][quote] > > when the app is running (along with what other apps are running and what > > they are doing). > > > > The topology of the network can also be a major influence. If you web[/quote] > server[quote] > > has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a disavantage from[/quote] > your[quote] > > XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need to know what it is > > doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code possibly, which is > > easiest done with logging (which slows down the app while it is > > instituted)). > > > > I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of variables here. > > > > -- > > Gregory A. Beamer > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA > > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge > > > >[/quote] >[/quote] ****************************************************************************[quote][quote] > > **** > > Think Outside the Box! > >[/quote] >[/quote] ****************************************************************************[quote][quote] > > **** > > "Carl Howarth" wrote in message > > news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...[quote] > > > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get this issue resolved! > > > > > > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long enough I get a[/quote][/quote] > 'General[quote][quote] > > > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be down to the web[/quote] > > servers[quote] > > > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration value in the[/quote][/quote][/quote] web.config[quote][quote][quote] > > > file? > > > > > > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to put the system[/quote][/quote][/quote] live[quote][quote][quote] > > > ASAP. > > > > > > Many thanks, Carl Howarth > > > > > > > > > Hi, > > > > > > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in ASP.NET (vb). The[/quote][/quote][/quote] system[quote][quote][quote] > > > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's machine. We are[/quote][/quote] > running[quote][quote] > > > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which have been upgraded[/quote][/quote][/quote] to[quote][quote] > > .net[quote] > > > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows update. > > > > > > When we deploy the application to either web server the performance is > > > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine). Sometimes the system[/quote][/quote] > will[quote][quote] > > > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an instant, others it[/quote][/quote] > will[quote][quote] > > > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages that are not[/quote][/quote][/quote] accessing[quote][quote] > > our[quote] > > > database). It's nothing to do with connections being left open and[/quote][/quote][/quote] it's[quote][quote][quote] > > > bizarre how the issues are completely unpredictable. The systems are > > > transferred simply by copying the contents of the web site folder on[/quote][/quote][/quote] our[quote][quote][quote] > > > machines to the web site folder on the server(s). > > > > > > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and if so, please[/quote][/quote][/quote] please[quote][quote] > > let[quote] > > > me know how to get around it! > > > > > > Thanks very much, > > > > > > Carl Howarth > > > [email]carl.howarth@m-s-solutions.co.uk[/email] > > > > > >[/quote] > > > >[/quote] > > >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => John Saunders [ip] => john.saunders@s [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> > >Hi Gregory, > > > >Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this[/quote] > but will run some[quote] > >checks as you have suggested. The network issue really[/quote] > is confusing,[quote] > >certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we[/quote] > are running do not[quote] > >experience this problem at all. > > > >Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the[/quote] > system and jump[quote] > >between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work[/quote] > perfectly. It seems[quote] > >that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time[/quote] > then choose another[quote] > >lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know[/quote] > if that gives you[quote] > >any further clues. I have altered the web.config file[/quote] > to say debug="false",[quote] > >which has made no difference and have checked the code[/quote] > and I certainly[quote] > >believe that all objects used are being destroyed after[/quote] > use.[quote] > > > >Another clue that may help is that part of the system[/quote] > is 'upgraded' classic[quote] > >asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages[/quote] > and got rid of the[quote] > >'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and[/quote] > have set aspcompat[quote] > >accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this[/quote] > as being an issue[quote] > >due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my[/quote] > machine.[quote] > > > >If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to[/quote] > this please let me[quote] > >know. > > > >Many thanks again, Carl > > > > > >"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)"[/quote] > wrote in[quote] > >message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...[quote] > >> I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it[/quote][/quote] > is predictable, but[quote][quote] > >> unknown. > >> > >> I would suggest profiling both the machine and the[/quote][/quote] > application. Tracing[quote] > >can[quote] > >> help some, but you are going to have to examine what[/quote][/quote] > the machine is doing[quote][quote] > >> when the app is running (along with what other apps[/quote][/quote] > are running and what[quote][quote] > >> they are doing). > >> > >> The topology of the network can also be a major[/quote][/quote] > influence. If you web[quote] > >server[quote] > >> has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a[/quote][/quote] > disavantage from[quote] > >your[quote] > >> XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need[/quote][/quote] > to know what it is[quote][quote] > >> doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code[/quote][/quote] > possibly, which is[quote][quote] > >> easiest done with logging (which slows down the app[/quote][/quote] > while it is[quote][quote] > >> instituted)). > >> > >> I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of[/quote][/quote] > variables here.[quote][quote] > >> > >> -- > >> Gregory A. Beamer > >> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA > >> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge > >> > >>[/quote] > >*********************************************************[/quote] > *******************[quote][quote] > >> **** > >> Think Outside the Box! > >>[/quote] > >*********************************************************[/quote] > *******************[quote][quote] > >> **** > >> "Carl Howarth" [/quote][/quote] > wrote in message[quote][quote] > >> news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > >> > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get[/quote][/quote] > this issue resolved![quote][quote] > >> > > >> > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long[/quote][/quote] > enough I get a[quote] > >'General[quote] > >> > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be[/quote][/quote] > down to the web[quote][quote] > >> servers > >> > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration[/quote][/quote] > value in the web.config[quote][quote] > >> > file? > >> > > >> > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to[/quote][/quote] > put the system live[quote][quote] > >> > ASAP. > >> > > >> > Many thanks, Carl Howarth > >> > > >> > > >> > Hi, > >> > > >> > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in[/quote][/quote] > ASP.NET (vb). The system[quote][quote] > >> > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's[/quote][/quote] > machine. We are[quote] > >running[quote] > >> > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which[/quote][/quote] > have been upgraded to[quote][quote] > >> .net > >> > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows[/quote][/quote] > update.[quote][quote] > >> > > >> > When we deploy the application to either web server[/quote][/quote] > the performance is[quote][quote] > >> > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine).[/quote][/quote] > Sometimes the system[quote] > >will[quote] > >> > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an[/quote][/quote] > instant, others it[quote] > >will[quote] > >> > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages[/quote][/quote] > that are not accessing[quote][quote] > >> our > >> > database). It's nothing to do with connections[/quote][/quote] > being left open and it's[quote][quote] > >> > bizarre how the issues are completely[/quote][/quote] > unpredictable. The systems are[quote][quote] > >> > transferred simply by copying the contents of the[/quote][/quote] > web site folder on our[quote][quote] > >> > machines to the web site folder on the server(s). > >> > > >> > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and[/quote][/quote] > if so, please please[quote][quote] > >> let > >> > me know how to get around it! > >> > > >> > Thanks very much, > >> > > >> > Carl Howarth > >> > [email]carl.howarth@m-s-solutions.co.uk[/email] > >> > > >> > > >> > >>[/quote] > > > > > > > >. > >[/quote][/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <07b101c35d9d$ba7e3db0$a601280a@phx.gbl> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Carl Howarth [ip] => carl.howarth@m- [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it! - ASP.NET General

ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it! - ASP.NET General

Hello again everyone..... I'm a real pain and keep posting re the same thing, but it is possibly the most frustrating issue I've come across. Please see my original post - can anybody think of a solution to this? The main error I experience is an sqlexception saying 'General Network Error', but as this is sporadic, and due to the fact that asp3 apps work fine I am at a total loss as to what the issue can be. In addition to this I connect to the database using the following: The connections in the current activity (SQL) show as ...

Default ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it!

Hello again everyone..... I'm a real pain and keep posting re the same
    thing, but it is possibly the most frustrating issue I've come across.
    Please see my original post - can anybody think of a solution to this? The
    main error I experience is an sqlexception saying 'General Network Error',
    but as this is sporadic, and due to the fact that asp3 apps work fine I am
    at a total loss as to what the issue can be.

In addition to this I connect to the database using the following:

The connections in the current activity (SQL) show as 'sleeping', which
    suggests
    to me that the connections have been closed.

I am using a component to access the database, based on the following:
    Public ReadOnly Property ConnectionString()

Get

ConnectionString = "Data Source=10.200.20.2; Initial Catalog=ClientCAS;User
    ID=sa;Password=password; Network Library=dbmssocn;"

End Get

End Property

Public Function GetReader(ByVal strSQL As String) As SqlDataReader

Dim tmpConn As New SqlConnection(Me.ConnectionString)

Dim objCmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, tmpConn)

objCmd.Connection.Open()

objCmd.CommandTimeout = 300

GetReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnecti on)

objCmd = Nothing

End Function

And then within my pages' back end code I would do something along these
    lines to fill, say, a datagrid:

dim obj as new cpData
    dim dr as sqldatareader = obj.GetReader("spStoredProc " & id)
    dg.datasource = dr
    dg.databind
    dr.close
    dr = nothing
    obj = nothing

---------------------->
    Hi Gregory,

Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this but will run some
    checks as you have suggested. The network issue really is confusing,
    certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we are running do not
    experience this problem at all.

Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the system and jump
    between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work perfectly. It seems
    that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time then choose another
    lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know if that gives you
    any further clues. I have altered the web.config file to say debug="false",
    which has made no difference and have checked the code and I certainly
    believe that all objects used are being destroyed after use.

Another clue that may help is that part of the system is 'upgraded' classic
    asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages and got rid of the
    'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and have set aspcompat
    accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this as being an issue
    due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my machine.

If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to this please let me
    know.

Many thanks again, Carl

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <NoSpamMgbworldcomcast.netRemuvThis> wrote in
    message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it is predictable, but
    > unknown.
    >
    > I would suggest profiling both the machine and the application. Tracing
    can
    > help some, but you are going to have to examine what the machine is doing
    > when the app is running (along with what other apps are running and what
    > they are doing).
    >
    > The topology of the network can also be a major influence. If you web
    server
    > has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a disavantage from
    your
    > XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need to know what it is
    > doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code possibly, which is
    > easiest done with logging (which slows down the app while it is
    > instituted)).
    >
    > I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of variables here.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge
    >
    >
    ************************************************** **************************
    > ****
    > Think Outside the Box!
    >
    > ****
    > "Carl Howarth" <carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get this issue resolved!
    > >
    > > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long enough I get a
    'General
    > > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be down to the web
    > servers
    > > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration value in the web.config
    > > file?
    > >
    > > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to put the system live
    > > ASAP.
    > >
    > > Many thanks, Carl Howarth
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in ASP.NET (vb). The system
    > > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's machine. We are
    running
    > > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which have been upgraded to
    > .net
    > > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows update.
    > >
    > > When we deploy the application to either web server the performance is
    > > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine). Sometimes the system
    will
    > > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an instant, others it
    will
    > > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages that are not accessing
    > our
    > > database). It's nothing to do with connections being left open and it's
    > > bizarre how the issues are completely unpredictable. The systems are
    > > transferred simply by copying the contents of the web site folder on our
    > > machines to the web site folder on the server(s).
    > >
    > > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and if so, please please
    > let
    > > me know how to get around it!
    > >
    > > Thanks very much,
    > >
    > > Carl Howarth
    > > [email]carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk[/email]
    > >
    > >
    >
    >

Carl Howarth Guest

Default ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it!

Hi

Try to change your SQL Statement by adding/removing ORDER
    BY, WHERE..... if it solves the problem, it means that
    your sql statement does not return data in the normal
    manner.... i.e. slower than ADO.NET expect.

2. If you are using simultanious connections, you might
    have some problem about connection pooling, try to add
    Pooling=false in Sql connection string. If this is the
    problem, make sure that you use the exact same Sql
    statement everywhere......

3. But if you are using Trusted Connection and set
    pooling to true right now, but you also set
    impersonation=true. The problem is that it will login
    using different accounts causing the connection pool to
    be useless. You might either use SQL account or set
    Pooling = false in the connection string to solve the
    problem.

Check out the following URL
    also:[url]http://forums.devshed.com/archive/52/2003/01/4/49612[/url]

Ravikanth[MVP]

>-----Original Message-----
    >Hello again everyone..... I'm a real pain and keep
    posting re the same
    >thing, but it is possibly the most frustrating issue
    I've come across.
    >Please see my original post - can anybody think of a
    solution to this? The
    >main error I experience is an sqlexception
    saying 'General Network Error',
    >but as this is sporadic, and due to the fact that asp3
    apps work fine I am
    >at a total loss as to what the issue can be.
    >
    >In addition to this I connect to the database using the
    following:
    >
    >The connections in the current activity (SQL) show
    as 'sleeping', which
    >suggests
    >to me that the connections have been closed.
    >
    >I am using a component to access the database, based on
    the following:
    >Public ReadOnly Property ConnectionString()
    >
    >Get
    >
    >ConnectionString = "Data Source=10.200.20.2; Initial
    Catalog=ClientCAS;User
    >ID=sa;Password=password; Network Library=dbmssocn;"
    >
    >End Get
    >
    >End Property
    >
    >
    >Public Function GetReader(ByVal strSQL As String) As
    SqlDataReader
    >
    >Dim tmpConn As New SqlConnection(Me.ConnectionString)
    >
    >Dim objCmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, tmpConn)
    >
    >objCmd.Connection.Open()
    >
    >objCmd.CommandTimeout = 300
    >
    >GetReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader
    (CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
    >
    >objCmd = Nothing
    >
    >End Function
    >
    >
    >And then within my pages' back end code I would do
    something along these
    >lines to fill, say, a datagrid:
    >
    >dim obj as new cpData
    >dim dr as sqldatareader = obj.GetReader("spStoredProc "
    & id)
    >dg.datasource = dr
    >dg.databind
    >dr.close
    >dr = nothing
    >obj = nothing
    >
    >---------------------->
    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    >Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this
    but will run some
    >checks as you have suggested. The network issue really
    is confusing,
    >certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we
    are running do not
    >experience this problem at all.
    >
    >Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the
    system and jump
    >between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work
    perfectly. It seems
    >that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time
    then choose another
    >lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know
    if that gives you
    >any further clues. I have altered the web.config file
    to say debug="false",
    >which has made no difference and have checked the code
    and I certainly
    >believe that all objects used are being destroyed after
    use.
    >
    >Another clue that may help is that part of the system
    is 'upgraded' classic
    >asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages
    and got rid of the
    >'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and
    have set aspcompat
    >accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this
    as being an issue
    >due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my
    machine.
    >
    >If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to
    this please let me
    >know.
    >
    >Many thanks again, Carl
    >
    >
    >"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)"
    <NoSpamMgbworldcomcast.netRemuvThis> wrote in
    >message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it
    is predictable, but
    >> unknown.
    >>
    >> I would suggest profiling both the machine and the
    application. Tracing
    >can
    >> help some, but you are going to have to examine what
    the machine is doing
    >> when the app is running (along with what other apps
    are running and what
    >> they are doing).
    >>
    >> The topology of the network can also be a major
    influence. If you web
    >server
    >> has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a
    disavantage from
    >your
    >> XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need
    to know what it is
    >> doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code
    possibly, which is
    >> easiest done with logging (which slows down the app
    while it is
    >> instituted)).
    >>
    >> I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of
    variables here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gregory A. Beamer
    >> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    >> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge
    >>
    >>
    >************************************************* ********
    >> ****
    >> Think Outside the Box!
    >>
    >************************************************* ********
    >> ****
    >> "Carl Howarth" <carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    >> news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get
    this issue resolved!
    >> >
    >> > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long
    enough I get a
    >'General
    >> > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be
    down to the web
    >> servers
    >> > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration
    value in the web.config
    >> > file?
    >> >
    >> > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to
    put the system live
    >> > ASAP.
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks, Carl Howarth
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in
    ASP.NET (vb). The system
    >> > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's
    machine. We are
    >running
    >> > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which
    have been upgraded to
    >> .net
    >> > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows
    update.
    >> >
    >> > When we deploy the application to either web server
    the performance is
    >> > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine).
    Sometimes the system
    >will
    >> > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an
    instant, others it
    >will
    >> > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages
    that are not accessing
    >> our
    >> > database). It's nothing to do with connections
    being left open and it's
    >> > bizarre how the issues are completely
    unpredictable. The systems are
    >> > transferred simply by copying the contents of the
    web site folder on our
    >> > machines to the web site folder on the server(s).
    >> >
    >> > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and
    if so, please please
    >> let
    >> > me know how to get around it!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks very much,
    >> >
    >> > Carl Howarth
    >> > [email]carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk[/email]
    >> >
    >> >
    >>
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >.
    >
    Ravikanth[MVP] Guest

Default Re: ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it!

Carl, my idea is that this may be an ADO.NET issue and not an ASP.NET issue.
    Perhaps you should post to
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet?
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer
    [email]john.saunderssurfcontrol.com[/email]

"Carl Howarth" <carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:esjSTkZXDHA.1580tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hello again everyone..... I'm a real pain and keep posting re the same
    > thing, but it is possibly the most frustrating issue I've come across.
    > Please see my original post - can anybody think of a solution to this?
    The
    > main error I experience is an sqlexception saying 'General Network Error',
    > but as this is sporadic, and due to the fact that asp3 apps work fine I am
    > at a total loss as to what the issue can be.
    >
    > In addition to this I connect to the database using the following:
    >
    > The connections in the current activity (SQL) show as 'sleeping', which
    > suggests
    > to me that the connections have been closed.
    >
    > I am using a component to access the database, based on the following:
    > Public ReadOnly Property ConnectionString()
    >
    > Get
    >
    > ConnectionString = "Data Source=10.200.20.2; Initial
    Catalog=ClientCAS;User
    > ID=sa;Password=password; Network Library=dbmssocn;"
    >
    > End Get
    >
    > End Property
    >
    >
    > Public Function GetReader(ByVal strSQL As String) As SqlDataReader
    >
    > Dim tmpConn As New SqlConnection(Me.ConnectionString)
    >
    > Dim objCmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, tmpConn)
    >
    > objCmd.Connection.Open()
    >
    > objCmd.CommandTimeout = 300
    >
    > GetReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnecti on)
    >
    > objCmd = Nothing
    >
    > End Function
    >
    >
    > And then within my pages' back end code I would do something along these
    > lines to fill, say, a datagrid:
    >
    > dim obj as new cpData
    > dim dr as sqldatareader = obj.GetReader("spStoredProc " & id)
    > dg.datasource = dr
    > dg.databind
    > dr.close
    > dr = nothing
    > obj = nothing
    >
    > ---------------------->
    > Hi Gregory,
    >
    > Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this but will run some
    > checks as you have suggested. The network issue really is confusing,
    > certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we are running do not
    > experience this problem at all.
    >
    > Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the system and jump
    > between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work perfectly. It seems
    > that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time then choose
    another
    > lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know if that gives you
    > any further clues. I have altered the web.config file to say
    debug="false",
    > which has made no difference and have checked the code and I certainly
    > believe that all objects used are being destroyed after use.
    >
    > Another clue that may help is that part of the system is 'upgraded'
    classic
    > asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages and got rid of the
    > 'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and have set aspcompat
    > accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this as being an issue
    > due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my machine.
    >
    > If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to this please let me
    > know.
    >
    > Many thanks again, Carl
    >
    >
    > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <NoSpamMgbworldcomcast.netRemuvThis> wrote
    in
    > message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it is predictable, but
    > > unknown.
    > >
    > > I would suggest profiling both the machine and the application. Tracing
    > can
    > > help some, but you are going to have to examine what the machine is
    doing
    > > when the app is running (along with what other apps are running and what
    > > they are doing).
    > >
    > > The topology of the network can also be a major influence. If you web
    > server
    > > has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a disavantage from
    > your
    > > XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need to know what it is
    > > doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code possibly, which is
    > > easiest done with logging (which slows down the app while it is
    > > instituted)).
    > >
    > > I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of variables here.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gregory A. Beamer
    > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    > > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge
    > >
    > >
    >
    > > ****
    > > Think Outside the Box!
    > >
    >
    > > ****
    > > "Carl Howarth" <carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get this issue resolved!
    > > >
    > > > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long enough I get a
    > 'General
    > > > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be down to the web
    > > servers
    > > > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration value in the
    web.config
    > > > file?
    > > >
    > > > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to put the system
    live
    > > > ASAP.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks, Carl Howarth
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in ASP.NET (vb). The
    system
    > > > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's machine. We are
    > running
    > > > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which have been upgraded
    to
    > > .net
    > > > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows update.
    > > >
    > > > When we deploy the application to either web server the performance is
    > > > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine). Sometimes the system
    > will
    > > > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an instant, others it
    > will
    > > > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages that are not
    accessing
    > > our
    > > > database). It's nothing to do with connections being left open and
    it's
    > > > bizarre how the issues are completely unpredictable. The systems are
    > > > transferred simply by copying the contents of the web site folder on
    our
    > > > machines to the web site folder on the server(s).
    > > >
    > > > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and if so, please
    please
    > > let
    > > > me know how to get around it!
    > > >
    > > > Thanks very much,
    > > >
    > > > Carl Howarth
    > > > [email]carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk[/email]
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
    >

John Saunders Guest

Default Re: ASP.NET Deployment - I canny do it!

Ravikanth,

Point 2 has made the system work - which is good.... However what will
    happen when I start to get numerous users of the system?

Many thanks, Carl

"Ravikanth[MVP]" <dvravikanthhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:07b101c35d9d$ba7e3db0$a601280aphx.gbl...
    > Hi
    >
    > Try to change your SQL Statement by adding/removing ORDER
    > BY, WHERE..... if it solves the problem, it means that
    > your sql statement does not return data in the normal
    > manner.... i.e. slower than ADO.NET expect.
    >
    > 2. If you are using simultanious connections, you might
    > have some problem about connection pooling, try to add
    > Pooling=false in Sql connection string. If this is the
    > problem, make sure that you use the exact same Sql
    > statement everywhere......
    >
    > 3. But if you are using Trusted Connection and set
    > pooling to true right now, but you also set
    > impersonation=true. The problem is that it will login
    > using different accounts causing the connection pool to
    > be useless. You might either use SQL account or set
    > Pooling = false in the connection string to solve the
    > problem.
    >
    >
    > Check out the following URL
    > also:[url]http://forums.devshed.com/archive/52/2003/01/4/49612[/url]
    >
    > Ravikanth[MVP]
    >
    >
    > >-----Original Message-----
    > >Hello again everyone..... I'm a real pain and keep
    > posting re the same
    > >thing, but it is possibly the most frustrating issue
    > I've come across.
    > >Please see my original post - can anybody think of a
    > solution to this? The
    > >main error I experience is an sqlexception
    > saying 'General Network Error',
    > >but as this is sporadic, and due to the fact that asp3
    > apps work fine I am
    > >at a total loss as to what the issue can be.
    > >
    > >In addition to this I connect to the database using the
    > following:
    > >
    > >The connections in the current activity (SQL) show
    > as 'sleeping', which
    > >suggests
    > >to me that the connections have been closed.
    > >
    > >I am using a component to access the database, based on
    > the following:
    > >Public ReadOnly Property ConnectionString()
    > >
    > >Get
    > >
    > >ConnectionString = "Data Source=10.200.20.2; Initial
    > Catalog=ClientCAS;User
    > >ID=sa;Password=password; Network Library=dbmssocn;"
    > >
    > >End Get
    > >
    > >End Property
    > >
    > >
    > >Public Function GetReader(ByVal strSQL As String) As
    > SqlDataReader
    > >
    > >Dim tmpConn As New SqlConnection(Me.ConnectionString)
    > >
    > >Dim objCmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, tmpConn)
    > >
    > >objCmd.Connection.Open()
    > >
    > >objCmd.CommandTimeout = 300
    > >
    > >GetReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader
    > (CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
    > >
    > >objCmd = Nothing
    > >
    > >End Function
    > >
    > >
    > >And then within my pages' back end code I would do
    > something along these
    > >lines to fill, say, a datagrid:
    > >
    > >dim obj as new cpData
    > >dim dr as sqldatareader = obj.GetReader("spStoredProc "
    > & id)
    > >dg.datasource = dr
    > >dg.databind
    > >dr.close
    > >dr = nothing
    > >obj = nothing
    > >
    > >---------------------->
    > >Hi Gregory,
    > >
    > >Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a loss with this
    > but will run some
    > >checks as you have suggested. The network issue really
    > is confusing,
    > >certainly since the 'classic' asp applications that we
    > are running do not
    > >experience this problem at all.
    > >
    > >Whilst testing, I have noticed that if I log into the
    > system and jump
    > >between pages at frequent intervals it seems to work
    > perfectly. It seems
    > >that if I leave a page displayed for any length of time
    > then choose another
    > >lin k that is when the system freezes up - I don't know
    > if that gives you
    > >any further clues. I have altered the web.config file
    > to say debug="false",
    > >which has made no difference and have checked the code
    > and I certainly
    > >believe that all objects used are being destroyed after
    > use.
    > >
    > >Another clue that may help is that part of the system
    > is 'upgraded' classic
    > >asp, ie we have simply converted the existing asp pages
    > and got rid of the
    > >'set' commands, used isdbnull instead of isnull, and
    > have set aspcompat
    > >accordingly (only on converted pages), I cannot see this
    > as being an issue
    > >due to the fact that these all work wonderfully on my
    > machine.
    > >
    > >If you have any other ideas (or not!) in relation to
    > this please let me
    > >know.
    > >
    > >Many thanks again, Carl
    > >
    > >
    > >"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)"
    > <NoSpamMgbworldcomcast.netRemuvThis> wrote in
    > >message news:%23nYjrDOXDHA.1004TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > >> I don't believe in unpredictable in computers, so it
    > is predictable, but
    > >> unknown.
    > >>
    > >> I would suggest profiling both the machine and the
    > application. Tracing
    > >can
    > >> help some, but you are going to have to examine what
    > the machine is doing
    > >> when the app is running (along with what other apps
    > are running and what
    > >> they are doing).
    > >>
    > >> The topology of the network can also be a major
    > influence. If you web
    > >server
    > >> has to talk to the database via a firewall, it is at a
    > disavantage from
    > >your
    > >> XP dev box. So, the DMZ can affect your app. You need
    > to know what it is
    > >> doing when it has a problem (down to the line of code
    > possibly, which is
    > >> easiest done with logging (which slows down the app
    > while it is
    > >> instituted)).
    > >>
    > >> I wish I had an easy answer, but there are a lot of
    > variables here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gregory A. Beamer
    > >> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    > >> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge
    > >>
    > >>
    > >************************************************* ********
    > *******************
    > >> ****
    > >> Think Outside the Box!
    > >>
    > >************************************************* ********
    > *******************
    > >> ****
    > >> "Carl Howarth" <carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk>
    > wrote in message
    > >> news:OClO$tNXDHA.2392TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >> > Sorry to repost, but I am fairly desparate to get
    > this issue resolved!
    > >> >
    > >> > Please see below, when it hangs if I leave it long
    > enough I get a
    > >'General
    > >> > Network Error', or something similar. Could this be
    > down to the web
    > >> servers
    > >> > being on the DMZ, or perhaps some configuration
    > value in the web.config
    > >> > file?
    > >> >
    > >> > Any help would really be appreciated as I am due to
    > put the system live
    > >> > ASAP.
    > >> >
    > >> > Many thanks, Carl Howarth
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> > Hi,
    > >> >
    > >> > We have developed a system using VS.NET 2003 in
    > ASP.NET (vb). The system
    > >> > runs absolutely fine on my own and my colleague's
    > machine. We are
    > >running
    > >> > Win XP Pro. We have 2 web servers, each of which
    > have been upgraded to
    > >> .net
    > >> > 1.1, and have all the latest updates from windows
    > update.
    > >> >
    > >> > When we deploy the application to either web server
    > the performance is
    > >> > ridiculous (the servers run asp3 systems fine).
    > Sometimes the system
    > >will
    > >> > work like a dream, moving from page to page in an
    > instant, others it
    > >will
    > >> > just hang when a link is selected (even to pages
    > that are not accessing
    > >> our
    > >> > database). It's nothing to do with connections
    > being left open and it's
    > >> > bizarre how the issues are completely
    > unpredictable. The systems are
    > >> > transferred simply by copying the contents of the
    > web site folder on our
    > >> > machines to the web site folder on the server(s).
    > >> >
    > >> > Has anybody come across this kind of situation and
    > if so, please please
    > >> let
    > >> > me know how to get around it!
    > >> >
    > >> > Thanks very much,
    > >> >
    > >> > Carl Howarth
    > >> > [email]carl.howarthm-s-solutions.co.uk[/email]
    > >> >
    > >> >