Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP.Net Forms authentication with basic authentication popup - ASP.NET Security

Relatively new to ASP.Net but have a strange problem. My site uses forms authentication for a large administration section however after the user logs in each page they subsequently click on brings up a basic authentication dialogue box. Clicking cancel will still allow the user to view the page but this quickly becomes very annoying. What is even more confusing is that for another part on the same site I decided to use session variables for a secondary, much smaller administration section and not the ASP.Net forms authentication but the same problem occurs, each page the user clicks on brings ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP.Net Forms authentication with basic authentication popup

    Relatively new to ASP.Net but have a strange problem.

    My site uses forms authentication for a large administration section
    however after the user logs in each page they subsequently click on
    brings up a basic authentication dialogue box. Clicking cancel will
    still allow the user to view the page but this quickly becomes very
    annoying.

    What is even more confusing is that for another part on the same site
    I decided to use session variables for a secondary, much smaller
    administration section and not the ASP.Net forms authentication but
    the same problem occurs, each page the user clicks on brings the basic
    authentication popup prior to display.

    Any suggestions?
    Brett Porter Guest

  2. #2

    Try these :-
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063[/url]
    Internet Explorer May Prompt You for a Password

    -and-

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303650[/url]
    Intranet Site Is Identified as an Internet Site When You Use an FQDN or IP
    Address

    --
    - Paul Glavich

    "Brett Porter" <brett.porterstrikedesigns.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:a4930814.0401190100.74594390posting.google.c om...
    > Relatively new to ASP.Net but have a strange problem.
    >
    > My site uses forms authentication for a large administration section
    > however after the user logs in each page they subsequently click on
    > brings up a basic authentication dialogue box. Clicking cancel will
    > still allow the user to view the page but this quickly becomes very
    > annoying.
    >
    > What is even more confusing is that for another part on the same site
    > I decided to use session variables for a secondary, much smaller
    > administration section and not the ASP.Net forms authentication but
    > the same problem occurs, each page the user clicks on brings the basic
    > authentication popup prior to display.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Paul Glavich Guest

  3. #3

    Probably in your pages there are some referenced file (css, js) that are in
    another folder that requires authentication, this can explain why you can
    browse succesfully the page even if you click cancel.

    HtH,

    "Brett Porter" <brett.porterstrikedesigns.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:a4930814.0401190100.74594390posting.google.c om...
    > Relatively new to ASP.Net but have a strange problem.
    >
    > My site uses forms authentication for a large administration section
    > however after the user logs in each page they subsequently click on
    > brings up a basic authentication dialogue box. Clicking cancel will
    > still allow the user to view the page but this quickly becomes very
    > annoying.
    >
    > What is even more confusing is that for another part on the same site
    > I decided to use session variables for a secondary, much smaller
    > administration section and not the ASP.Net forms authentication but
    > the same problem occurs, each page the user clicks on brings the basic
    > authentication popup prior to display.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT] Guest