Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP.NET Processor Ignoring DataLists? - ASP.NET General

Very, very strange problem. In developing a C# ASP.NET application, every so often, DataLists disappear from the build. They remain visible and rendered (though sometimes dropping properties and event handlers) but do not seem to be included in the build (and are consequently not rendered on the web page). I've looked into the problem throughly, comparing output library sizes and it seems as though DataLists (all datalists on a page) are not ps and included properly by the ASP.NET pr tool. Though, I am not sure whether the problem lies is VS.NET or not. Sometimes, I can "force" the page ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP.NET Processor Ignoring DataLists?

    Very, very strange problem. In developing a C# ASP.NET
    application, every so often, DataLists disappear from the
    build. They remain visible and rendered (though
    sometimes dropping properties and event handlers) but do
    not seem to be included in the build (and are
    consequently not rendered on the web page). I've looked
    into the problem throughly, comparing output library
    sizes and it seems as though DataLists (all datalists on
    a page) are not ps and included properly by the
    ASP.NET pr tool. Though, I am not sure whether the
    problem lies is VS.NET or not. Sometimes, I can "force"
    the page to rerecognize the control as existing, but then
    on rendering the web page I get an error essentially
    saying that there is no bound datasource. The datasource
    was bound in the ASP tag itself and not is the code
    behind the page, which leads me to believe that the
    problem lies in the ASP.NET processor. I've even gone so
    far as to reinstall VS.NET and the .NET framework to no
    avail.

    Though, another interesting twist that I found was that
    at the same time the DataLists were not rendering, it
    seems the data from a DropDownList which I had added
    manually (not a DataBind) in the PageLoad event was being
    dropped and not showing up either. Other pre-compiled
    custom controls on the page which have similar
    functionality (essentially DropDownList's with
    data/manually bound list items) were not affected though.

    Hmmm...

    Any ideas? Please please let me know. This is driving
    me absolutely nuts and has virtually ceased development
    for about a week now.

    Thanks a lot,
    Jonathan Hollinger
    Jonathan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ASP.NET Processor Ignoring DataLists?

    When ever I add things manually in the HTML page and in the Web Form Designer generated code
    I get into these kind of problems

    Try using the Designer page as much as possible unless you know exactly what you are doing.

    Once it works does it keep on working untill you mess with it again?

    MS Guest

  3. #3

    No, I didn't add anything manually that made this
    happen. I do tend to manipulate the HTML manually, but
    the page I was working was working fine. The problem
    actually tends to appear sporadically. Usually with a
    change to the underlying C# code. I have even had a
    problem where this problem will cascade across multiple
    pages.

    the Web Form Designer generated code
    you know exactly what you are doing.
    with it again?
    message news:059c01c365ca$fabe71d0$gbl... [/ref]
    ASP.NET [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    do [/ref]
    looked [/ref]
    on [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    can "force" [/ref]
    then [/ref]
    datasource [/ref]
    so [/ref]
    no [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    being [/ref]
    though. [/ref]
    driving [/ref]
    development [/ref]
    Jonathan Guest

  4. #4

    What version/service pack of VS.NET are you using? It seems to me we
    encountered that kind of crazy behaviour in the betas and very first release of
    VS.NET but it went away after a service pack.

    Hmmm... maybe not. I'm sure something ate a Handles clause at work the other
    day.

    Ken
    MVP [ASP.NET]

    --
    Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

[...]

    Ken Guest