Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP page not saving to DB - ASP Database

Followed FrontPage wizard to create online submission form. Pages were generated automatically. Page coding appears to be correct. DB was also generated by FrontPage. The server is utilizing ODBC for the Access DB Although I can view the pages remotely and I receive a confirmation that information has been submitted, continued...

  1. #1

    Default ASP page not saving to DB

    Followed FrontPage wizard to create online submission form. Pages were
    generated automatically. Page coding appears to be correct. DB was also
    generated by FrontPage.

    The server is utilizing ODBC for the Access DB

    Although I can view the pages remotely and I receive a confirmation that
    information has been submitted, the database remains empty.

    Any idea about why the "save to database" process is failing?

    Dave

    H8ids Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ASP page not saving to DB

    One common cause of that, is you may have inadvertently used a reserved name
    in your column naming.
    As the DRW uses "ON ERROR RESUME NEXT" it may not flag up your error and the
    insert fails.

    "H8ids" <edu> wrote in message

    dave Guest

  3. #3

    What does DRW mean.
    I understand what you mean by reserved name; is there an available list of
    reserve names? (Using Win 2000 Server, Access 2000 and ASP)

    Thanks Dave

    "dave" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    H8ids Guest

  4. #4

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2080

    H8ids wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    The "DRW" is the name of the database results/region wizard that you have
    used from frontpage

    "H8ids" <edu> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref][/ref]
    that

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    dave Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks. Appears as though I have a lot of re-coding ahead. :(

    Dave

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    H8ids Guest

  7. #7

    > Any idea about why the "save to database" process is failing?

    Not sure, do you have a better definition of "failing"?

    Aaron Guest

  8. #8

    Aaron,

    I haven't received any errors online or on the server.
    But when I look for the content within the database, while using Access,
    it's obvious nothing ever stored in the database.

    Dave

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <noraa> wrote in message

    > Not sure, do you have a better definition of "failing"?
    >
    >[/ref]

    H8ids Guest

  9. #9

    So take "on error resume next" out of your ASP page, and make sure you have
    disabled friendly HTTP errors in IE, and then try to save the results again.
    Let us know if that turns up anything useful.

    Also, make sure you haven't commented out the insert statement, and that you
    are looking at the correct table/database, etc.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "H8ids" <edu> wrote in message
    Access,

    > > Not sure, do you have a better definition of "failing"?
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Aaron Guest

  10. #10

    Bob,

    I have gone through all of the Access column titles and compared them to
    the reserved words for ODBC, Jet and Access. I have a new question.

    One of the columns in the database is "GeneralDistributionRequirement" and
    one of the reserved words is "General". Could this be the hiccup?

    Dave

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    H8ids Guest

  11. #11

    > One of the columns in the database is "GeneralDistributionRequirement" and

    No.

    Aaron Guest

  12. #12

    Aaron,

    I did delete "on error resume next" from each ASP page.
    "Friendly HTTP errors in IE" has also been disabled.

    The only coding that is commented out in the "submission_form.asp" file, refers to the webbot. Which I don't believe is the problem.
    The <input type="submit" value " OK "> has not been commented out.
    However, I have run across a line of code which I don't fully understand. Particularly the word "this", below is the line of code.

    <form METHOD="POST" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onsubmit="return FrontPage_Form1_Validator(this)" language="JavaScript" name="FrontPage_Form1">

    Since FrontPage generated the code and database, I don't know what "this" means. Also, there are no references to the database or its location in the
    "submission_form.asp" page.

    The pages and the database are not located in the wwwroot folder; but I don't have any trouble accessing the pages remotely. Does the database need to be in the
    wwwroot folder?

    Dave

    > Access,
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]
    H8ids Guest

  13. #13

    I also meant to state that a file titled "Global.asa" is the only generated file with reference to the database.

    Dave
    "H8ids" <edu> wrote in message news:%phx.gbl...

    Aaron,

    I did delete "on error resume next" from each ASP page.
    "Friendly HTTP errors in IE" has also been disabled.

    The only coding that is commented out in the "submission_form.asp" file, refers to the webbot. Which I don't believe is the problem.
    The <input type="submit" value " OK "> has not been commented out.
    However, I have run across a line of code which I don't fully understand. Particularly the word "this", below is the line of code.

    <form METHOD="POST" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" onsubmit="return FrontPage_Form1_Validator(this)" language="JavaScript" name="FrontPage_Form1">

    Since FrontPage generated the code and database, I don't know what "this" means. Also, there are no references to the database or its location in the
    "submission_form.asp" page.

    The pages and the database are not located in the wwwroot folder; but I don't have any trouble accessing the pages remotely. Does the database need to be in the
    wwwroot folder?

    Dave

    > Access,
    >>
    >>[/ref]