Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP Treeview SQL Server - URGENT NEED! - ASP Components

Hello. I am trying to find a NON .NET answer to using a treeview control with ASP. I am able to use this contror without issue in VB but ASP presents an entirely different set of isssues. I can get the treeview to populate based upon my recorset pulled from the SQL Server but cannot get the value of the clicked node to appear in the test input box. (This is the prelude to the actual working of the click of the node. Once I capture the value on the page - the processing can begin.) I also cannot seem ...

  1. #1

    Default ASP Treeview SQL Server - URGENT NEED!

    Hello. I am trying to find a NON .NET answer to using a treeview
    control with ASP. I am able to use this contror without issue in VB
    but ASP presents an entirely different set of isssues.

    I can get the treeview to populate based upon my recorset pulled from
    the SQL Server but cannot get the value of the clicked node to appear
    in the test input box. (This is the prelude to the actual working of
    the click of the node. Once I capture the value on the page - the
    processing can begin.) I also cannot seem to get my picture/icon to
    show at the apptopriate node level. This is mostly because I don't
    seem to be able to get the imagelist control to work properly. <sigh>

    I could really use a simple, working example. All of the examples I
    found are using .NET which is not an option for me here.

    Thanks

    David
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ASP Treeview SQL Server - URGENT NEED!

    what control are you referring to? There is no tree control natively.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    "David" <dpaskietcomcast.net> wrote in message
    news:100ad77a.0404290430.2fe75be3posting.google.c om...
    > Hello. I am trying to find a NON .NET answer to using a treeview
    > control with ASP. I am able to use this contror without issue in VB
    > but ASP presents an entirely different set of isssues.
    >
    > I can get the treeview to populate based upon my recorset pulled from
    > the SQL Server but cannot get the value of the clicked node to appear
    > in the test input box. (This is the prelude to the actual working of
    > the click of the node. Once I capture the value on the page - the
    > processing can begin.) I also cannot seem to get my picture/icon to
    > show at the apptopriate node level. This is mostly because I don't
    > seem to be able to get the imagelist control to work properly. <sigh>
    >
    > I could really use a simple, working example. All of the examples I
    > found are using .NET which is not an option for me here.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    > what control are you referring to? There is no tree control natively.
    I'd be willing to bet the OP was referring to the VB OCX.

    In my experience, using native VB controls is more of a PITA than it's
    worth. You might take a look at this article, though. It shows a very nice
    method of creating a treeview using XML/XSL. I haven't tried it, but it
    looks very nice.

    [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/010921.htm[/url]

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC

    William Morris Guest

  4. #4

    Ahhh... here is another to base off of to write your own.
    [url]http://www.darkfalz.com/1056/[/url]

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    Site: [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    Blog: [url]http://blog.Darkfalz.com[/url]

    "William Morris" <news.remove.this.and.the.dotsseamlyne.com> wrote in
    message news:c6r3gq$emp9s$1ID-205671.news.uni-berlin.de...

    > > what control are you referring to? There is no tree control natively.
    >
    > I'd be willing to bet the OP was referring to the VB OCX.
    >
    > In my experience, using native VB controls is more of a PITA than it's
    > worth. You might take a look at this article, though. It shows a very
    nice
    > method of creating a treeview using XML/XSL. I haven't tried it, but it
    > looks very nice.
    >
    > [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/010921.htm[/url]
    >

    > --
    > William Morris
    > Product Development, Seritas LLC
    > Kansas City, Missouri

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    I am using the VB OCX from Visual Studio INterdev 6 Enterprise. THe OCX
    Version is 6 as well. I agree the OCX is quite the PITA but I had no
    alternatives.

    I am looking at the suggested link now but would still like to continue
    on the path I started. THe person who will be taking over this project
    when I am done is not the brightest bulb in the box. However he tries
    real hard and with patience - he does learn. (Kudos to him!)

    David Paskiet Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry, my bad. I am using VS INterdev for this. So it is the PITA
    ActiveX control in there version 6. I have found other treeview, some in
    JAvascript some as applets, but they do not allowme to use the DB as a
    source for the tree. At least not that I know how. I am pretty good
    with javascript but cannot marry the ASP recordset to the client side
    scripting. So I am stuck with the VB OCX.

    David Paskiet Guest

  7. #7

    <aol>me too!</aol>

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2311[/url]

    (There's an example there for folders/files, plus links to several other
    sites, including Curt's.)

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    > Ahhh... here is another to base off of to write your own.
    > [url]http://www.darkfalz.com/1056/[/url]
    >

    > --
    > Curt Christianson
    > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    > Site: [url]http://www.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    > Blog: [url]http://blog.Darkfalz.com[/url]
    >

    > "William Morris" <news.remove.this.and.the.dotsseamlyne.com> wrote in
    > message news:c6r3gq$emp9s$1ID-205671.news.uni-berlin.de...
    >>
    >> "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    >> > what control are you referring to? There is no tree control natively.
    >>
    >> I'd be willing to bet the OP was referring to the VB OCX.
    >>
    >> In my experience, using native VB controls is more of a PITA than it's
    >> worth. You might take a look at this article, though. It shows a very
    > nice
    >> method of creating a treeview using XML/XSL. I haven't tried it, but it
    >> looks very nice.
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/010921.htm[/url]
    >>

    >> --
    >> William Morris