Professional Web Applications Themes

ASP without GUI - ASP.NET General

It's possible, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do it. You want to execute some code, right? If so, put the code in a component and call the code from where you need it. How should the code be invoked, by a user browser to a specific page, or...? -- Carsten Thomsen http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=105 "Joachim" <com> wrote in message news:PKj2b.89173$bredband.com...  user ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ASP without GUI

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    "Joachim" <com> wrote in message
    user

    CT Guest

  2. #2

    Let's say that I've got an ordinary hyperlink. When the user clicks on it, I
    want to evaluate the parameters, do something else and finally redirect the
    user to another page. If I want to use the GET method, can I link back to
    the current page (like posting back to the same page), do the above, and
    then redirect the user to the new page (or should I link to the new page
    immediately and then evaluate the parameters)? Thanks.

    "CT" <biz> skrev i meddelandet
    or...?
    > user
    >

    >[/ref]

    Joachim Guest

  3. #3

    Microsoft technologies for creating servlets are well established - e.g.
    CGI, ISAPI .dlls, ASP, VB6 web classes, COM components and so on.

    ASP.NET is focussed on providing a good GUI. However, you still have
    Application, Session, Request and Response objects like we used in classic
    ..ASP - so you can still create .aspx pages that don't have any visuals.

    Hope This Helps
    Ananda

    "Joachim" <com> wrote in message
    user

    Ananda Guest

  4. #4

    I'm not following you. If a user clicks a hyperlink, only a GET request can
    be sent by the browser, for the URL specified in the hyperlink.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    The more I learn, the less I know.

    "Joachim" <com> wrote in message

    the [/ref]
    to [/ref]
    the
    > or...? [/ref][/ref]
    graphical [/ref][/ref]
    containing

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    "Kevin Spencer" <com> skrev i meddelandet
    can

    Yes, exactly - you're following me. In Java, this link could lead to a
    servlet (containing logic, no GUI) where I could evaluate the passed
    parameters and then redirect the user to another JSP page. Now, I want to
    know how I can achive this in ASP.NET in the best possible way. I've learned
    so much that the idea behind ASP.NET is that you can post information from
    the client back to the current aspx page. But without any server side
    controls involved - can (or should) this hyperlink under discussion be
    linked to the current page also using GET? Or do I have to call another aspx
    page to be able to evaluate the passed parameters?

    Joachim Guest

  6. #6

    Joachim,

    you can do anything you want, you don't need any controls to p request
    parameters. Just iterate through the QueryString or Form collection
    yourself. Process the data and use Server.Transfer to move the processing to
    an ASP.NET page that will create the UI (much like a JSP page would for a
    servlet). Your logic page will have nothing but a server side script
    handling Page_Load event.

    ASP.NET is not designed to split the view from the model (as in MVC
    architecture), Microsoft still thinks it's best to have everything in one
    file (and no, code behind is not splitting the logic out of the
    presentation), that's why web forms post back to themselves (instead of
    posting to business logic piece).

    If you care about separating your business logic from the user interface
    then ASP.NET is not the best way to go, you'll be a lot better off using
    servlets/jsps or frameworks such as struts.

    Jerry

    > can
    >

    > Yes, exactly - you're following me. In Java, this link could lead to a
    > servlet (containing logic, no GUI) where I could evaluate the passed
    > parameters and then redirect the user to another JSP page. Now, I want to
    > know how I can achive this in ASP.NET in the best possible way. I've[/ref]
    learned
    aspx

    Jerry Guest