Professional Web Applications Themes

ASPNET temporary directories - ASP.NET General

Hi John, You seem to have hit it on the head and I suspect you can delete them. According to this article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825791) ASPNET uses these directories when it compiles pages: "The compiler generates temporary files in the folder where the TEMP and the TMP variables point to before the files are copied to the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder." Ken MVP [ASP.NET] -- Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm? http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp "John Patrick Cronan" <com> wrote in message news:phx.gbl... Anyone for a little mystery? A few months ago I starting finding these directories in ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ASPNET temporary directories

    --
    Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

    "John Patrick Cronan" <com> wrote in message
    Anyone for a little mystery?

    A few months ago I starting finding these directories in my C:\WinNT
    directory with really long, obviously generated names, for example:
    "FLSY4AGMSY5BHNT0"
    and
    "OU06CJPV17DJPV17"

    These directories are always empty. This morning I found almost 7000 of
    them!

    I managed to trace these directories to the ASPNET user-- it created them.
    With the help of a colleague, I figured out that ASPNET creates and deletes
    lots of directories under %SystemRoot%. I can only assume that this is
    S.O.P. for ASPNET, but the deletion sometimes fails.

    Anybody have any ideas:
    * What ASPNET is using these folders for?
    * What could be causing the deletion to fail?
    * How I might fix it?

    Much TIA,
    John

    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Hi John,

    I think that Ken has answered you question of "What ASPNET is using these
    folders for?".

    For the question of "What could be causing the deletion to fail", I think
    that the reason is the directory is being used.

    For the last question of "How I might fix it?", a simple way is restaring
    your computer and try to delete it again.

    Does it answer your question?

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    <MCSD>
    Get Secure! 每 www.microsoft.com/security

    Jacob Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Jacob and Ken.

    What I'm really trying to accomplish is to keep all these directories from
    building up in my %SystemRoot% to begin with. That seems to require removing
    the obstacle preventing aspnet_wp from deleting them. Most likely you are
    right, Jacob, they are probably in use when aspnet_wp tries to delete them.

    I wonder if a virus checker or indexer is monitoring to scan new files and
    grabs them just before the delete attempt......

    I NEVER see any files in these directories, though. Those deletes must be
    succeeding.

    John

    "Jacob Yang [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message

    John Guest

  4. #4

    Hi John,

    You might be on to something there. To me, the real solution is not deleting
    the folders but finding out why .Net isn't cleaning up after itself.

    You might want to check your event log to see if the ASPNET process is
    recycling frequently. That's often caused by AV and indexers fooling ASP.NET
    into thinking a Web has changed. Maybe the directories are leftovers that are
    abandoned on application restarts. Do the timestamps help to diagnosis when
    these directories are being created?

    Ken
    --

    Thanks, Jacob and Ken.

    What I'm really trying to accomplish is to keep all these directories from
    building up in my %SystemRoot% to begin with. That seems to require removing
    the obstacle preventing aspnet_wp from deleting them. Most likely you are
    right, Jacob, they are probably in use when aspnet_wp tries to delete them.

    I wonder if a virus checker or indexer is monitoring to scan new files and
    grabs them just before the delete attempt......

    I NEVER see any files in these directories, though. Those deletes must be
    succeeding.

    John

    "Jacob Yang [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ken Guest

  5. #5

    Hi John!

    Thanks for getting back to us with your solution. That's one to store in the
    r.a.q. (Rarely asked questions) <grin>

    Ken

    --
    Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

    "John Patrick Cronan" <com> wrote in message
    Got it licked!

    The ASPNET user didn't have "Modify" permissions to C:\WINNT. I gave it such
    permissions and it's solved. In fact, I can turn it on and off at will now
    by toggling modify permissions.

    There's one to tuck away in the back of your mind; might come in handy some
    day.

    John

    "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <ca> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    and

    > You might be on to something there. To me, the real solution is not[/ref]
    deleting
    ASP.NET
    are
    when