Professional Web Applications Themes

aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing - ASP.NET General

hi, i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error for the pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection is fined. At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager, my asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs again once the memory usage is hit to above the same values i ...

  1. #1

    Default aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing

    hi,
    i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the
    aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error for the
    pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection is
    fined.
    At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for

    aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb
    sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb

    at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager, my
    asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs again once
    the memory usage is hit to above the same values i mention above.

    in my asp.net, i have several classes that have its own sqlconnection object
    and at the end of code i always dispose the sqlcommand and sqlconnection
    object and it still doesn't help to resolve the problem.
    from my log record, i can see this problem only arrise when performing the
    sql query like sqlcommand.executereader or sqlcommand.executenonquery and
    etc.

    Follwing is the spec for the software and hardware running the sql and
    asp.net
    Software Spec
    1. .NetFramework 1.0 with SP2
    2. Win2k Server with SP3
    3. SQL Server 2000 with sp2

    Hardware spec.
    1. P4 Xeon processor
    2. 512MB Ram

    Please help!!!
    Thanks
    from clement

    Clement Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing

    60000KB is 60MB, which is not a lot or memory. ASP.Net uses garbage
    collection to clean up unused memory. The garbage collection assures that
    all unused objects will be removed from memory, but the trade-off is that
    the objects are not removed immediately. There is a period of time during
    which unused objects sit in memory waiting for garbage collection. For this
    reason, a typical ASP.Net app will increase memory usage for a time after
    which it levels off, and can even drop. But at 60MB of memory, you are not
    using a lot of memory by ASP.Net standards.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    "Clement" <bfluyhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the
    > aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error for
    the
    > pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection is
    > fined.
    > At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for
    >
    > aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb
    > sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb
    >
    > at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager, my
    > asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs again
    once
    > the memory usage is hit to above the same values i mention above.
    >
    > in my asp.net, i have several classes that have its own sqlconnection
    object
    > and at the end of code i always dispose the sqlcommand and sqlconnection
    > object and it still doesn't help to resolve the problem.
    > from my log record, i can see this problem only arrise when performing the
    > sql query like sqlcommand.executereader or sqlcommand.executenonquery and
    > etc.
    >
    > Follwing is the spec for the software and hardware running the sql and
    > asp.net
    > Software Spec
    > 1. .NetFramework 1.0 with SP2
    > 2. Win2k Server with SP3
    > 3. SQL Server 2000 with sp2
    >
    > Hardware spec.
    > 1. P4 Xeon processor
    > 2. 512MB Ram
    >
    > Please help!!!
    > Thanks
    > from clement

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  3. #3

    check to see if you are running out of db connections.

    are you exlicitly closing the connections to the database? before
    disposing of the objct you need to call sql_connection.close

    Clement wrote:
    > hi,
    > i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the
    > aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error for the
    > pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection is
    > fined.
    > At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for
    >
    > aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb
    > sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb
    >
    > at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager, my
    > asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs again once
    > the memory usage is hit to above the same values i mention above.
    >
    > in my asp.net, i have several classes that have its own sqlconnection object
    > and at the end of code i always dispose the sqlcommand and sqlconnection
    > object and it still doesn't help to resolve the problem.
    > from my log record, i can see this problem only arrise when performing the
    > sql query like sqlcommand.executereader or sqlcommand.executenonquery and
    > etc.
    >
    > Follwing is the spec for the software and hardware running the sql and
    > asp.net
    > Software Spec
    > 1. .NetFramework 1.0 with SP2
    > 2. Win2k Server with SP3
    > 3. SQL Server 2000 with sp2
    >
    > Hardware spec.
    > 1. P4 Xeon processor
    > 2. 512MB Ram
    >
    > Please help!!!
    > Thanks
    > from clement

    Kairi Zikpin Guest

  4. #4

    firstly, thanks for your immediate reply.
    thats right.
    i had try to configure the machine.config at <processModel>memoryLimit = 40,
    it still can't help. my asp.net program will hit to "404 page not found" or
    just give me blank page.

    by the way, i had also downloaded the iis5recycle.exe and i configure to run
    the recycle when the momory goes to 50MB and it still not resolved the
    problem.

    appreciate ur help!!!

    Clement Guest

  5. #5

    i do conn.close, conn.dispose and conn = nothing after use. by running the
    SQL Profiller, i can see the sql db been called and there is always 1 or 2
    connection pool in used. and the same pool will reused if not timeout.

    "Kairi Zikpin" <zikkai.nospam.netscape.net> wrote in message
    > check to see if you are running out of db connections.
    >
    > are you exlicitly closing the connections to the database? before
    > disposing of the objct you need to call sql_connection.close
    >

    > Clement wrote:
    > > hi,
    > > i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the
    > > aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error for
    the
    > > pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection
    is
    > > fined.
    > > At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for
    > >
    > > aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb
    > > sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb
    > >
    > > at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager,
    my
    > > asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs again
    once
    > > the memory usage is hit to above the same values i mention above.
    > >
    > > in my asp.net, i have several classes that have its own sqlconnection
    object
    > > and at the end of code i always dispose the sqlcommand and sqlconnection
    > > object and it still doesn't help to resolve the problem.
    > > from my log record, i can see this problem only arrise when performing
    the
    > > sql query like sqlcommand.executereader or sqlcommand.executenonquery
    and
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > Follwing is the spec for the software and hardware running the sql and
    > > asp.net
    > > Software Spec
    > > 1. .NetFramework 1.0 with SP2
    > > 2. Win2k Server with SP3
    > > 3. SQL Server 2000 with sp2
    > >
    > > Hardware spec.
    > > 1. P4 Xeon processor
    > > 2. 512MB Ram
    > >
    > > Please help!!!
    > > Thanks
    > > from clement

    Clement Guest

  6. #6

    In .Net it is a waste of time to set an object to Nothing, BTW. That is
    handled by Garbage Collection.

    > i do conn.close, conn.dispose and conn = nothing after use. by running the
    > SQL Profiller, i can see the sql db been called and there is always 1 or 2
    > connection pool in used. and the same pool will reused if not timeout.
    >

    > "Kairi Zikpin" <zikkai.nospam.netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > check to see if you are running out of db connections.
    > >
    > > are you exlicitly closing the connections to the database? before
    > > disposing of the objct you need to call sql_connection.close
    > >

    > > Clement wrote:
    > > > hi,
    > > > i have an asp.net site and is using SQL Server 2k. i realize the
    > > > aspnet_wp.exe memory usage keep growing and i will receive an error
    for
    > the
    > > > pages that call the sql connection. others page with no sql connection
    > is
    > > > fined.
    > > > At the time when i encounter the error, i check the memory usage for
    > > >
    > > > aspnet_wp.exe = 60000kb
    > > > sqlmangr.exe = 40000kb
    > > >
    > > > at this time, if i terminated the aspnet_wp.exe from the task manager,
    > my
    > > > asp.net web site will back to normal and this problem will occurs
    again
    > once
    > > > the memory usage is hit to above the same values i mention above.
    > > >
    > > > in my asp.net, i have several classes that have its own sqlconnection
    > object
    > > > and at the end of code i always dispose the sqlcommand and
    sqlconnection
    > > > object and it still doesn't help to resolve the problem.
    > > > from my log record, i can see this problem only arrise when performing
    > the
    > > > sql query like sqlcommand.executereader or sqlcommand.executenonquery
    > and
    > > > etc.
    > > >
    > > > Follwing is the spec for the software and hardware running the sql and
    > > > asp.net
    > > > Software Spec
    > > > 1. .NetFramework 1.0 with SP2
    > > > 2. Win2k Server with SP3
    > > > 3. SQL Server 2000 with sp2
    > > >
    > > > Hardware spec.
    > > > 1. P4 Xeon processor
    > > > 2. 512MB Ram
    > > >
    > > > Please help!!!
    > > > Thanks
    > > > from clement

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  7. #7

    got any idea for work around ?
    i got an crazy idea to restart the IIS every 10 hours. but it is not the
    final soulution.
    any suggestion

    > In .Net it is a waste of time to set an object to Nothing, BTW. That is
    > handled by Garbage Collection.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > Internet Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Big things are made up of
    > lots of Little things.
    >
    > "Clement" <bfluyhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > i do conn.close, conn.dispose and conn = nothing after use. by running
    the
    > > SQL Profiller, i can see the sql db been called and there is always 1 or
    2
    > > connection pool in used. and the same pool will reused if not timeout.
    > >

    > > "Kairi Zikpin" <zikkai.nospam.netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > > check to see if you are running out of db connections.
    > > >
    > > > are you exlicitly closing the connections to the database? before
    > > > disposing of the objct you need to call sql_connection.close

    > for
    > > the
    > > is

    > > my
    > again
    > > once

    > > object
    > sqlconnection
    > > the
    sqlcommand.executenonquery
    > > and

    Clement Guest

  8. #8

    As I mentioned in my previous reply, I don't think you have a problem. 60MB
    is a small footprint for ASP.Net. If your machine can't handle the load, you
    need more RAM. It's cheap!

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Some things just happen.
    Everything else occurs.

    > got any idea for work around ?
    > i got an crazy idea to restart the IIS every 10 hours. but it is not the
    > final soulution.
    > any suggestion
    >
    > "Kevin Spencer" <kevinSPAMMERStakempis.com> wrote in message
    > > In .Net it is a waste of time to set an object to Nothing, BTW. That is
    > > handled by Garbage Collection.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Kevin Spencer
    > > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > > Internet Developer
    > > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > > Big things are made up of
    > > lots of Little things.
    > >
    > > "Clement" <bfluyhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > i do conn.close, conn.dispose and conn = nothing after use. by running
    > the
    > > > SQL Profiller, i can see the sql db been called and there is always 1
    or
    > 2
    > > > connection pool in used. and the same pool will reused if not timeout.
    > > >

    > > > "Kairi Zikpin" <zikkai.nospam.netscape.net> wrote in message

    > > for
    > > > the
    > connection
    > > > is