Professional Web Applications Themes

Assign letter stroke to style? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Is there a way to have a paragraph or character style include the stroke? I need to make a font "bold" manually by applying a stroke and it's taking a while to apply this to every instance of bold text and sadly my boss won't authorise the $50 for the bold version of Bell Gothic. Thanks in advance, Jo...

  1. #1

    Default Assign letter stroke to style?

    MsCynic@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Assign letter stroke to style?

    How many hours do you have to waste to spend $50? Nevermind -- that's a question for your boss.

    However, the answer to your question is yes you can build this into a style. Just visit the Character Color panel of the style (Paragraph or character style) and set a weight and color for the stroke.

    Note that the stroke is a fixed size in each style, so if you have text at different sizes and you're using character styles, you'll need a style for each size with a suitably weighted stroke.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Dave,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm now having issues with paragraphs using that
    font having pink highlighting, which according to the Help files means the
    font can't be found.

    Yet there it is in front of me and sitting in the Windows/Font directory. Do
    I need to copy it elsewhere for ID to find it?

    Those same paras are also turning themselves into small caps, same as the
    line above, although the line above has a different paragraph style applied.
    So they're pink and small caps, not at all what I want.

    What does this mean?

    Thanks for bearing with me. This is my first project using ID (former Corel
    user) and as much as I love the product it's quite mysterious in some ways.

    Jo

  4. #4

    The pink highlighting has two meanings:

    1. The font doesn't exist on your computer. Font in this case refers to an individual instance of a font and style -- if this text is coming in from Word set to use Bell Gothic Bold, then there's your answer: you don't have Bell Gothic Bold; hence the pinkness. You need to adjust those styles to call for the Regular (or whatever the base style is named) and add a stroke via the Character Color panel.

    2. The glyph you're calling for doesn't exist in the font. In this case, you'll get spots of pink not continuous pink. It usually happens when a bullet character that should be in a pi font gets converted to the base font by accident.