Professional Web Applications Themes

Associating Unix User Accounts with Servers - Linux / Unix Administration

Hello, I was wondering, how can I associate unix user accounts to work with various servers, such as Database servers, Administration servers, etc. Additionally what interface does unix provide for this type of association? Thanks, Kushal...

  1. #1

    Default Associating Unix User Accounts with Servers

    Hello,

    I was wondering, how can I associate unix user accounts to work with
    various servers, such as Database servers, Administration servers,
    etc.

    Additionally what interface does unix provide for this type of
    association?

    Thanks,

    Kushal
    Kushal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Associating Unix User Accounts with Servers

    On 20 Sep 2004 13:46:47 -0700, Kushal Agarwal <com> wrote:

    Details will be environment-specific. NIS+, LDAP, lots of options.

    It depends.
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    Dave Hinz <net> wrote in message news:<de>...

    > Details will be environment-specific. NIS+, LDAP, lots of options.

    > It depends.[/ref]

    Sorry.. my mistake, I actually meant application, and not server.

    The problem is that I don't want the application to store its own list
    of users inside it, rather, it should use the list already defined in
    the UNIX network. So is there any interface that UNIX provides to
    allow the application to access the UNIX user accounts/authentication
    procedures.

    Kushal.
    Kushal Guest

  4. #4

    Kushal Agarwal wrote:

    > > Details will be environment-specific. NIS+, LDAP, lots of options.
    > >

    > > It depends.[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry.. my mistake, I actually meant application, and not server.
    >
    > The problem is that I don't want the application to store its own list
    > of users inside it, rather, it should use the list already defined in
    > the UNIX network. So is there any interface that UNIX provides to
    > allow the application to access the UNIX user accounts/authentication
    > procedures.
    >
    > Kushal.[/ref]

    How secure does this mechanism have to be? If it is just a matter
    of Jones always wants app X to start automatically, but there is no
    reason to be afraid of Jones doing something else, you could define a
    shell that would do waht you want. If it has to be hard to break out
    of the defined app, there would be more trouble.

    Speaking only for myself,

    Joe Durusau

    joe Guest

  5. #5

    joe durusau <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > > Sorry.. my mistake, I actually meant application, and not server.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I don't want the application to store its own list
    > > of users inside it, rather, it should use the list already defined in
    > > the UNIX network. So is there any interface that UNIX provides to
    > > allow the application to access the UNIX user accounts/authentication
    > > procedures.
    > >
    > > Kushal.[/ref]
    >
    > How secure does this mechanism have to be? If it is just a matter
    > of Jones always wants app X to start automatically, but there is no
    > reason to be afraid of Jones doing something else, you could define a
    > shell that would do waht you want. If it has to be hard to break out
    > of the defined app, there would be more trouble.
    >
    > Speaking only for myself,
    >
    > Joe Durusau[/ref]

    More specifically.. the mechanism has to be quite secure. Therefore I
    was thinking of getting the application to make the system calls that
    the OS makes during logon.

    I know some of the top level system calls that are called during logon
    to a machine.. but what exactly are they all?

    Thanks,

    Kushal
    Kushal Guest

  6. #6

    Kushal Agarwal wrote:

    > > How secure does this mechanism have to be? If it is just a matter
    > > of Jones always wants app X to start automatically, but there is no
    > > reason to be afraid of Jones doing something else, you could define a
    > > shell that would do waht you want. If it has to be hard to break out
    > > of the defined app, there would be more trouble.
    > >
    > > Speaking only for myself,
    > >
    > > Joe Durusau[/ref]
    >
    > More specifically.. the mechanism has to be quite secure. Therefore I
    > was thinking of getting the application to make the system calls that
    > the OS makes during logon.
    >
    > I know some of the top level system calls that are called during logon
    > to a machine.. but what exactly are they all?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kushal[/ref]

    Sounds like you want to set up the users in question in a chrooted
    environment. Pretty tricky, and difficult. It is usually better to make a
    spearate machine with only the capabilities you want, no access to
    networks, etc. and some sort of large group of serial terminals hooked
    to it if you really need that kind of security. Otherwise, if this is for
    outside customers, you could set something up outside your firewall,
    such that is it gets damaged, nothing important is hurt.

    Sorry, but I would tend to question why go to all that trouble if it
    were me.

    Speaking only for myself,

    Joe Durusau

    joe Guest