Professional Web Applications Themes

Astronomy software for old Macs? - Mac Applications & Software

I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky. I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be great. Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated. respectfully...

  1. #1

    Default Astronomy software for old Macs?

    I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.

    I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    great.

    Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

    respectfully

    antares Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Astronomy software for old Macs?

    Hi-
    try this link:

    <A HREF="http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/software.html">Dan's Astronomy
    Software Collection</A>

    Scroll down for Mac software.

    HTH
    Ron

    << I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.

    I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    great.

    Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

    respectfully

    OSTIAANTIC Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:45:58 +1000, antares wrote
    (in message <3F02394B.C68CD3B0email.com>):
    > I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    > a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    > like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.
    >
    > I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    > Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    > program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    > great.
    >
    > Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > respectfully

    A friend was running Starry Night on an LC III. I have a copy of
    Red Shift 1.2 (free with a cover CD on UK MacFormat #52 - from
    1997) requirements were 68030, Sys 7, 4MB RAM, colour monitor,
    Quicktime 1.5 (or later, I presume :-)).

    Maybe you can find a copy cheap online? [Current version is Red
    Shift 4, but not sure if there's a Mac version, but there are educ
    discounts...]

    List of other possibilities towards bottom of this page:
    [url]http://www.learning-connections.co.uk/curric/cur_pri/space/res.html[/url]

    HTH

    Have Fun
    Martin

    Martin Crisp Guest

  4. #4

    antares:
    > I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    > a Mac IIci, LC, or similar.
    Visit <http://www.carinasoft.com.>. Their Voyager software may still
    be available in an older version, and it is pretty good.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  5. #5

    << I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.

    I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    great.

    Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

    respectfully >>

    Redshift 2 is 68K compatible. Its a great Astronomy program that I used to
    use on my LC III in 1998 when I was studying Astronomy.

    I do not think they have an OSX version or ever will. I believe they stopped
    making Mac versions. Therefore the classic compatibility mode is useful on
    newer Macs.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  6. #6

    antares <antaresemail.com> wrote:
    > I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    > a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    > like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.
    >
    > I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    > Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    > program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    > great.
    >
    > Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > respectfully
    Starry Night was being offered new in a 68k version up until a couple of
    years ago. Suggest you ascertain at what version the cut off point was
    and then find the best older version on ebay.
    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  7. #7

    In article <noone-020703101420000107-079.075.popsite.net>,
    [email]noonenowhere.com[/email] (John Rethorst) wrote:
    > In article <20030701220733.08691.00001213mb-m15.aol.com>,
    > [email]ostiaanticaol.com[/email] (OSTIAANTIC) wrote:
    >
    > > << I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    > > a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    > > like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.
    >
    > MacAstro was a fine program that ran on system 6 and 7, and probably 8. A
    > Google search should turn it up, or email me at jrethorst -at- post -dot-
    > com for a copy.
    Voyager by Carina Software, 1988,1989 (415)352-7328

    is a great one. It was written in Forth!

    Check google for a current phone number.

    Al

    --

    Reverse address to reply.
    Al Guest

  8. #8

    Paul Fuchs wrote:

    > Starry Night was being offered new in a 68k version up until a couple of
    > years ago. Suggest you ascertain at what version the cut off point was
    > and then find the best older version on ebay.
    The last 68k version of Starry Night is 2.3.1 (I think), which is
    shareware. (Later versions are fully commercial.)

    It can still be downloaded from:

    [url]http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Abstracts/sci/HyperArchive.html[/url]

    At least, there's an installer there. It should work. (I haven't tried it.)

    ---
    jouni maho
    Jouni Filip Maho Guest

  9. #9

    Default Astronomy software for old Macs -- Thanks!

    Thank you all for the many excellent suggestions. I'll try them, as time
    and funds permit. Those of you who offered programs by email for
    examination will hear from me, and I thank you again. It is unfortunate
    that so many forget what was done with the older equipment -- many of
    those tasks are still highly useful and as valid as ever.

    Over the past five years, I have acquired a few hundred computers by
    donation (mostly PCs, alas). My students refurbished them (that is the
    sort of thing I teach), and we provided them to students (and others) who
    otherwise had little access to machines. They are lousy gaming platforms,
    but do many other things well. Amazingly, we seem to have saturated the
    local market for such things. Computers are about as common as toasters
    these days. But inexpensive, useful software can still be a problem,
    especially for Macs.

    respectfully

    antares wrote:
    > I would like to find an astronomy/sky charting program that will run on
    > a Mac IIci, LC, or similar. I have a number of such machines and would
    > like to give them to students for use in learning the night sky.
    >
    > I realize that such a program will not look as "realistic" as Starry
    > Night or other modern programs, but something similar to the old DOS
    > program "Sky Globe" (which I still use from time to time) would be
    > great.
    >
    > Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > respectfully
    L. Lanigan Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: Astronomy software for old Macs -- Thanks!

    In article <3F03AE17.C7BBDA3Cnebulosity.org>, L. Lanigan
    <lanigannebulosity.org> wrote:
    > Amazingly, we seem to have saturated the
    > local market for such things. Computers are about as common as toasters
    > these days. But inexpensive, useful software can still be a problem,
    > especially for Macs.
    See alt.binaries.mac.applications.retro ... sometimes
    no-longer-supported apps that run on older machines are posted.
    Rick Harrison Guest

  11. #11

    Al <ten.knilhtraeyajfa.remove> wrote:

    > Voyager by Carina Software, 1988,1989 (415)352-7328
    I confirm. Before the current Voyager III there were versions 1 and 2, I
    think those'll work on any mac. I have used them continuously for years
    and am now waiting impatiently for the imminent OSX version, which'll be
    able to selectively show sun illuminated satellites passing by :-)

    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [email]h.sainctlaposte.net[/email]
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address