Professional Web Applications Themes

Astronomy SW: Don't Make Me Buy Wintel! - Mac Applications & Software

I want to install an SBIG CCD camera on my telescope. I am unable to find any OS X software that will operate the scope *and* the camera and perform image processing. I am aware of the capabilities of Starry Night, TheSky, and Voyager. I am looking to run MaxIm DL/CCD, which permits control of the camera and the 'scope and does advanced image processing as well. This software is only partially functional under Virtual PC; apparently there is a communications issue that prevents the camera and 'scope control utilities from working right, but I do not know the details. ...

  1. #1

    Default Astronomy SW: Don't Make Me Buy Wintel!

    I want to install an SBIG CCD camera on my telescope. I am unable to
    find any OS X software that will operate the scope *and* the camera and
    perform image processing.

    I am aware of the capabilities of Starry Night, TheSky, and Voyager. I
    am looking to run MaxIm DL/CCD, which permits control of the camera and
    the 'scope and does advanced image processing as well. This software is
    only partially functional under Virtual PC; apparently there is a
    communications issue that prevents the camera and 'scope control
    utilities from working right, but I do not know the details. Extensive
    searches haven't turned up any solutions.

    Lurkers know that I use six Macs and I don't do Windoze, but there is a
    Windoze laptop in my future if I don't find a Mac-based solution. Spare
    me!

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Astronomy SW: Don't Make Me Buy Wintel!

    Davoud <starsky.net> wrote:
    > I am aware of the capabilities of Starry Night, TheSky, and Voyager. I
    > am looking to run MaxIm DL/CCD, which permits control of the camera and
    > the 'scope and does advanced image processing as well. This software is
    > only partially functional under Virtual PC; apparently there is a
    > communications issue that prevents the camera and 'scope control
    > utilities from working right, but I do not know the details. Extensive
    > searches haven't turned up any solutions.
    XEphem. It's an X11 app but a very, very good one. It *will* control the
    'scope but whether or not you'll be able to make it do that on a Mac may
    be - interesting. It would require a serial port to do this, hence the
    potential problem.

    Jim
    --
    [email]jimmagrathea.plus.com[/email] AIM/iChat:JCAndrew2 [email]GreyAreamac.com[/email]
    "We deal in the moral equivalent of black holes, where the normal

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Davoud <starsky.net> writes:
    > I want to install an SBIG CCD camera on my telescope. I am unable to
    > find any OS X software that will operate the scope *and* the camera and
    > perform image processing.
    I don't do astronomy stuff, but I'd be mildly surprised if there weren't
    something that fit your needs in the Linux/Unix branch of Mac OSdom.

    It may not have the Mac GUI, but _anything_ is better than Wintel. :-)

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Davoud:
    <h.sainctlaposte.net>:
    > Why exactly do you want to perform both from the same software
    Because that's the way it's done.
    > Why not
    > Voyager for running the scope and any other (PhotoStickies?? that would
    > show and process?)
    An astronomical CCD camera is not a webcam. It requires specific
    control software and special image processing.
    > In my understanding the mac has always been an integrator of various
    > softwares; all these "all-in-one" appeared on PCs and all have a weakest
    > element...
    Maybe. But I have seen Maxim DL/CCD and it is a superb piece of
    software that apparently has no equivalent on the Mac.
    > I suggest you select the best scope pilot according to *your* criteria,
    > the best image viewer/processor
    OK. So give me the name the astro CCD camera controller/image processor
    that runs under OS X.

    Davoud

  8. #8

    Davoud:

  9. #9

    Phil Stripling:
    > I don't do astronomy stuff, but I'd be mildly surprised if there weren't
    > something that fit your needs in the Linux/Unix branch of Mac OSdom.
    >
    > It may not have the Mac GUI, but _anything_ is better than Wintel. :-)
    I'm with you -- truly I am. But it seems that for my stated purpose
    there is nothing _but_ Wintel, so by definition, nothing better than
    Wintel.

    Davoud

  10. #10

    Phil Stripling:

  11. #11

    Davoud <starsky.net> writes:
    > I'm with you -- truly I am. But it seems that for my stated purpose
    > there is nothing _but_ Wintel, so by definition, nothing better than
    > Wintel.
    Have you checked these newsgroups?
    alt.astronomy
    alt.sci.astro.*
    sci.astro.*

  12. #12

  13. #13

    In article <090720031650225887%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net>
    wrote:
    > I want to install an SBIG CCD camera on my telescope. I am unable to
    > find any OS X software that will operate the scope *and* the camera and
    > perform image processing.
    >
    > I am aware of the capabilities of Starry Night, TheSky, and Voyager. I
    > am looking to run MaxIm DL/CCD, which permits control of the camera and
    > the 'scope and does advanced image processing as well. This software is
    > only partially functional under Virtual PC; apparently there is a
    > communications issue that prevents the camera and 'scope control
    > utilities from working right, but I do not know the details. Extensive
    > searches haven't turned up any solutions.
    >
    > Lurkers know that I use six Macs and I don't do Windoze, but there is a
    > Windoze laptop in my future if I don't find a Mac-based solution. Spare
    > me!
    >
    > Davoud
    There should also be an OSX Applicaiton to control the StarLight
    Express USB cameras in the Fall.

    SBig announced that they now support OSX for there USB CCD cameras.
    They also supply an App (CCDOps Lite) to control their cameras too -
    which will handle the basics of camera contorl and capture.

    As to Scope Control - it will depend on whose software you use and what
    Scopes they support. I know that "MPj Equinox"
    ([url]http://www.microprojects.ca/MPjEquinoxPage.html[/url]) will allow you to
    control the scope by voice command.

    As to image processing, as logn as you instal X11 you can use all the
    usual Unix based tools.

    Also check out the The AstroMac List at

    [url]http://www.topica.com/lists/hubble_boy[/url]

    too.

    HTH..

    Milton Aupperle
    [url]www.outcastsoft.com[/url]
    Milton Aupperle Guest

  14. #14

  15. #15

    Davoud <starsky.net> wrote:
    > > I suggest you select the best scope pilot according to *your* criteria,
    > > the best image viewer/processor
    > OK. So give me the name the astro CCD camera controller/image processor
    > that runs under OS X.
    this I don't know. I don't have an astro camera...
    H.

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [email]h.sainctlaposte.net[/email]
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  16. #16