Professional Web Applications Themes

AT&T For the Mac? - Mac Networking

Yes, I realize that most of you lucky (Mac)ducks have broadband but, alas, living in between three state forests, I am still stuck with a telephone modem. Several people (Windozers) have told me that they really liked AT&T as an ISP but, in the past, it was not available for the Mac--- or so AT&T told me. But I as suspicious that maybe it was just their propietary software that was not Mac saavy. For a time, AT&T said it was only available in pre-OSX for Macs--- bizarre. But today I was told that they just upgraded their system to ...

  1. #1

    Default AT&T For the Mac?

    Yes, I realize that most of you lucky (Mac)ducks have broadband but,
    alas, living in between three state forests, I am still stuck with a
    telephone modem.

    Several people (Windozers) have told me that they really liked AT&T as
    an ISP but, in the past, it was not available for the Mac--- or so AT&T
    told me. But I as suspicious that maybe it was just their propietary
    software that was not Mac saavy. For a time, AT&T said it was only
    available in pre-OSX for Macs--- bizarre. But today I was told that
    they just upgraded their system to handle Macs. I was also told,
    though, that I had to use their CD to hook up.

    This all seems rather strange to me as I have no intention of using any
    internet/connection-related software other than what I am already using.
    Is anyone here using AT&T? If so, what's the lowdown please? What
    purpose does this CD serve? Is AT&T any better than Earthlink? (The
    people on the phone in the sales division are apparently used to most
    people using their propietary software and cannot function well outside
    those boundaries lol). BTW, AT&T has this really sweet ISP/phone deal
    going at the moment.
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AT&T For the Mac?

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    I have been an AT&T Worldnet customer for better than three
    years. I also am a totally Mac Shop, except I was forced
    by my Sat ISP Provider to actually buy and install a Pentium
    PC to use as a Headless Gateway Router/Server. AT&T Worldnet
    has been capable of supporting Mac's for all the time I have been with
    them. I run MacOS 9.2.x, 8.6, and OSX 10.2.6, all of which are operable
    with my AT&T dialup Server in the local areacode. Never had a problem.

    Bruce in alaska
    --
    add a <2> before
    Bruce Guest

  3. #3

    I've used at&t for several years, soon after they started an ISP
    service, but only for travel; I've had a local ISP and now have cable tv
    internet. At the time I started with at&t, they had some Mac folks,
    since then they may have ended the help but it never mattered to me.

    A lot of access numbers, 800 service at 10 cents a minute, at $14.95,
    although with my phone deal they were rebating $5 a month.

    I'm ready to cancel, however. I stayed in Tucson a couple of weeks, and
    the Tucson access wasn't in service. I ran up a pretty high bill on the
    800 number as a result.

    I'll talk to them about reducing the bill, and consider switching long
    distance service and ending at&t internet if they refuse.

    In fact, I had checked my groups just now with that in mind. I'll ask in
    a new post if anyone has experience with isp access for travellers, such
    as MaGlobe.

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    --
    Bob Ball
    If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people.