Professional Web Applications Themes

At least one nasty person in your community - Ruby

Ok, I was going to say that although you're not as wonderfully welcoming as you think, you're much better than the comp.lang.python community. That was before one of your community chose to privately flame me with profanities, statements that I had no honor, that I bring a cancer, get off the "mailing list," etc. To my US ear, he sounded foreign. I said he should study up on the First Amendment if he wanted to understand US concepts of "honor." This person's action is far, far worse than what even my worst detractor in comp.lang.python has said of me. Unless ...

  1. #1

    Default At least one nasty person in your community

    Ok, I was going to say that although you're not as wonderfully welcoming as
    you think, you're much better than the comp.lang.python community.

    That was before one of your community chose to privately flame me with
    profanities, statements that I had no honor, that I bring a cancer, get off
    the "mailing list," etc. To my US ear, he sounded foreign. I said he
    should study up on the First Amendment if he wanted to understand US
    concepts of "honor."

    This person's action is far, far worse than what even my worst detractor in
    comp.lang.python has said of me. Unless he's an isolated crank, your
    community has a serious attitude problem about what passes for acceptable
    discourse and intellectual integrity.

    --
    Cheers, [url]www.3DProgrammer.com[/url]
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    "Troll" - (n.) Anything you don't like.
    Usage: "He's just a troll."

    Brandon J. Van Every Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: At least one nasty person in your community

    Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
    > Ok, I was going to say that although you're not as wonderfully welcoming as
    > you think, you're much better than the comp.lang.python community.
    Due to the length and verbosity of your whinges I would hazard a guess that
    you seems to have this 'less than wonderfully welcoming' feeling quite often.
    You seem too practiced in putting people right and setting them straight for
    me to think that this is a one off.

    If you need to tell people off everywhere you go then I would say...

    THE PROBLEM IS YOU!

    Excuse us whilst we get back to being part of a community, and it's much
    bigger than just us old Ruby programmers, there are Perl, Python, Java,
    Smalltalk programmers here too, we are actually quite a tolerant lot until
    someone comes along to put us straight.

    Bye

    Peter Hickman Guest

  3. #3

    Peter Hickman wrote:
    > Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
    >> Ok, I was going to say that although you're not as wonderfully
    >> welcoming as you think, you're much better than the comp.lang.python
    >> community.
    >
    > Due to the length and verbosity of your whinges I would hazard a
    > guess that you seems to have this 'less than wonderfully welcoming'
    > feeling quite often. You seem too practiced in putting people right
    > and setting them straight for me to think that this is a one off.
    >
    > If you need to tell people off everywhere you go then I would say...
    >
    > THE PROBLEM IS YOU!
    No, it isn't. You have a problem child. Direct quote time, since you don't
    believe easily. The following is indefensible, and inexcusible.

    Brandon:

    Your recent abuse of the Ruby mailing list has been brought to my attention.

    You simply do not barge into someone else's home and start spewing
    everywhere and then come up with some cheap rationalizations and excuses why
    it is okay.

    It is clear you have no native concept of respect, honor, grace, or
    gentleness. You have shown yourself to be a low creature, without morals or
    integrity.

    Your presence is not desired on the Ruby mailing list. Take your act
    somewhere else, preferably to a psychologist who can help you with your
    social problems.

    Just in case your brain starts formulating all sorts of objections and
    counter-arguments and more endless psychobabble bull:

    YOU ARE NOT WELCOME. GO AWAY. YOU ARE NOT WANTED. THE COMMUNITY IS NOT IN
    SEARCH OF S. YOU HAVE SHOWN THAT YOU BELONG TO SOME OTHER CULTURE, SO
    GO AWAY FROM THIS CULTURE. TAKE YOUR CANCER ELSEWHERE.

    Sincerely,
    Brandon J. Van Every Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:35:36 +0900, "James F. Hranicky"
    <jfhcise.ufl.edu> wrote:
    >Does one rude person a community make?
    Is it really a community without at least rude person? [cue Sesame
    Street cast: "... but he's our Grouch/and we're stuck with him..."]
    Tim Rowe Guest

  5. #5

    James F. Hranicky wrote:

    > Does one rude person a community make?
    No, one crank does not a community make. My concern is, how many more of
    them do you have?
    > What should the community do about this, really?
    IMO, certain people should accept blame for being hostile to me in the first
    place. All I ever did was open a contentious subject that some people were
    tired of. I never said an ill word before ill words were spoken to me. And
    my responses weren't exactly over the top either. They were bristling, but
    fair.

    IMO, the other thing you should do as a community, is start recognizing that
    you're on a newsgroup, not a mailing list. I've seen collisions of mailing
    list and newsgroup cultures happen before. Newsgroups always win.

    Those are my recommendations, since you asked for courses of action. Of
    course, coming from me, they won't be heeded. But the ideas will float
    around, and the next time hostilities arise with someone else, these
    patterns may be remembered. Maybe then, someone will say, hm.
    > Unless we're going to
    > try to police everyone who signs up for the list or posts to the
    > newsgroup, there's not much we can do.
    I did suggest that moderated newsgroups are excellent ideas.
    > I've been on this list for 2 years, and it's probably the most
    > flame-free/ attitude-free list I've seen.
    Well, I almost thought so. Until I got that crank, and then a followup
    saying, "Well you deserve it!" No, I don't. Not that kind of abuse, I've
    done nothing to warrant it.
    > I think if you start posting questions about using the language
    > you'll get a better feel for the community than you have so far.
    I've got a feel. It's pretty good. It can do a little better.

    --
    Cheers, [url]www.3DProgrammer.com[/url]
    Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

    20% of the world is real.

    Brandon J. Van Every Guest

  6. #6

    Tim Rowe wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:35:36 +0900, "James F. Hranicky"
    > <jfhcise.ufl.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> Does one rude person a community make?
    >
    > Is it really a community without at least rude person? [cue Sesame
    > Street cast: "... but he's our Grouch/and we're stuck with him..."]
    I dunno, I think your "grouch" is worthy of extremist talk show radio. I
    see a lot of crestfallen expressions on the Sesame Street cast, before they
    turn the can upside down and kick it repeatedly.

  7. #7

    On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 12:29 PM, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
    > [snip]
    > No, it isn't. You have a problem child. Direct quote time, since you
    > don't
    > believe easily. The following is indefensible, and inexcusible.
    >

    > Brandon:
    >
    > Your recent abuse of the Ruby mailing list has been brought to my
    > attention.
    >
    > You simply do not barge into someone else's home and start spewing
    > everywhere and then come up with some cheap rationalizations and
    > excuses why
    > it is okay.
    >
    > It is clear you have no native concept of respect, honor, grace, or
    > gentleness. You have shown yourself to be a low creature, without
    > morals or
    > integrity.
    >
    > Your presence is not desired on the Ruby mailing list. Take your act
    > somewhere else, preferably to a psychologist who can help you with your
    > social problems.
    >
    > Just in case your brain starts formulating all sorts of objections and
    > counter-arguments and more endless psychobabble bull:
    >
    > YOU ARE NOT WELCOME. GO AWAY. YOU ARE NOT WANTED. THE COMMUNITY IS NOT
    > IN
    > SEARCH OF S. YOU HAVE SHOWN THAT YOU BELONG TO SOME OTHER
    > CULTURE, SO
    > GO AWAY FROM THIS CULTURE. TAKE YOUR CANCER ELSEWHERE.
    >
    > Sincerely,

    Well, the above is inexcusable. However, how can one tell the source?
    It could just as easily be from a member of the Python community who
    monitors the Ruby list. Regardless of the source, the message is from
    one person, not from the participants on the Ruby mailing list.

    Regards,

    Mark

    Mark Wilson Guest