Professional Web Applications Themes

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro & Linux driver support? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700 model. I notice on [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url] ... 9800 isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and 3D (yes, I play games in Linux). Thank you in advance. :) -- "Lay a stick of bubble gum on an anthill for instant Siamese Ant Twins." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Ant The Ant Farm: [url]http://antfarm.ma.cx[/url] | |o o| ...

  1. #1

    Default ATI Radeon 9800 Pro & Linux driver support?

    --
    "Lay a stick of bubble gum on an anthill for instant Siamese Ant
    Twins." --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant The Ant Farm: [url]http://antfarm.ma.cx[/url]
    | |o o| | E-mail: [email]philpiearthlink.netA[/email]NT or [email]philpiapu.eduA[/email]NT
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
    ANTant@zimage.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro & Linux driver support?

    ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700 model. I
    ANTant> notice on [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url]
    ANTant> ... 9800 isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old
    ANTant> Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and 3D (yes,
    ANTant> I play games in Linux).

    I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not tried
    any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux, and it have a
    package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with drivers for X. The drivers
    are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but supports also normal cards.

    There was some problems on installing the driver, until I noticed that there
    can be no DRI or similar support compiled onto the kernel; the driver uses
    its own means.

    --
    Arto V. Viitanen [email]avcs.uta.fi[/email]
    University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences

  3. #3

    On 12 Sep 2003 10:08:33 +0300, [email]avcs.uta.fi[/email] (Arto V. Viitanen) wrote:
    >I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not tried
    >any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux, and it have a
    >package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with drivers for X. The drivers
    >are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but supports also normal cards.

    What sort of framerate are you getting with glgears?
    --
    Andrew. To email unscramble [email]nrcgurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz[/email] & remove spamtrap.
    Help make Usenet a better place:

  4. #4

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati Arto V. Viitanen <avcs.uta.fi> wrote:
    > ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700 model. I
    > ANTant> notice on [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url]
    > ANTant> ... 9800 isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old
    > ANTant> Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    > ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and 3D (yes,
    > ANTant> I play games in Linux).
    > I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not tried
    > any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux, and it have a
    > package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with drivers for X. The drivers
    > are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but supports also normal cards.
    > There was some problems on installing the driver, until I noticed that there
    > can be no DRI or similar support compiled onto the kernel; the driver uses
    > its own means.
    Is that what NVIDIA driver does too? Currently, I am using NVIDIA driver
    for my slow GeForce4 Ti4200 video card.

    What is glxgears? Is that a benchmark program?

  5. #5

    Arto V. Viitanen wrote:

    > ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700
    > model. I ANTant> notice on
    > [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url] ANTant> ... 9800
    > isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old ANTant>
    > Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    > ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and
    > 3D (yes, ANTant> I play games in Linux).
    >
    > I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not
    > tried any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux,
    > and it have a package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with
    > drivers for X. The drivers are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but
    > supports also normal cards.
    Yep - also available from ATIs site.
    > There was some problems on installing the driver, until I noticed
    > that there can be no DRI or similar support compiled onto the kernel;
    > the driver uses its own means.

    Indeed... DRM support in Kernel 2.4 is for Xfree86 4.1.x

    Incidentally, the latest dev versions of Xree86, 4.3.99.8 onwards support
    the R350 core in the radeon driver.

    I've FUBAR'd my installaton though and can't fire up enlightenment 'cos
    libXxf86vm is missing or something.

    Ben

    Ben Pope Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:59:50 -0500, [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:
    >What is glxgears? Is that a benchmark program?
    glgears is included with most modern distros, you run it from a
    command prompt and while drawing the graphics it reports the
    framerate. Its not great for benchmarking, but a framerate in the
    several hundreds indicates 3D acceleration is working.

  7. #7

    spamtraplocalhost wrote in message news:<2fs2mv424tdpltnfqc3b99qpfdoqupg5mp4ax.com>. ..
    > On 12 Sep 2003 10:08:33 +0300, [email]avcs.uta.fi[/email] (Arto V. Viitanen) wrote:
    >
    > >I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not tried
    > >any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux, and it have a
    > >package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with drivers for X. The drivers
    > >are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but supports also normal cards.
    > >
    > What sort of framerate are you getting with glgears?
    About 530 FPS with default resolution. When I maximize the window
    (I use resolution 1600x1200), I get 29.2 FPS.

    Arto Viitanen
    Arto Viitanen Guest

  8. #8

    Arto Viitanen wrote:

    > spamtraplocalhost wrote in message news:<2fs2mv424tdpltnfqc3b99qpfdoqupg5mp4ax.com>. ..
    > > On 12 Sep 2003 10:08:33 +0300, [email]avcs.uta.fi[/email] (Arto V. Viitanen) wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not tried
    > > >any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux, and it have a
    > > >package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with drivers for X. The drivers
    > > >are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but supports also normal cards.
    > > >
    > > What sort of framerate are you getting with glgears?
    >
    > About 530 FPS with default resolution. When I maximize the window
    > (I use resolution 1600x1200), I get 29.2 FPS.
    Are those numbers from the standard glxgears (image of three rotating
    gears) or from ATI's fgl_glxgears (image of three rotating gears on each
    side of a rotating cube)? They seem awfully low numbers for the
    standard glxgears.
    John-Paul Stewart Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:45:27 -0400, John-Paul Stewart
    <jpstewartsympatico.ca> wrote:
    >> About 530 FPS with default resolution. When I maximize the window
    >> (I use resolution 1600x1200), I get 29.2 FPS.
    >
    >Are those numbers from the standard glxgears (image of three rotating
    >gears) or from ATI's fgl_glxgears (image of three rotating gears on each
    >side of a rotating cube)? They seem awfully low numbers for the
    >standard glxgears.
    I am new to the ATI world, and don't have Linux setup on my gaming
    machine, so I can't test it, but 29fps doesn't sound right, I think
    that is software rendering.

  10. #10

    spamtraplocalhost wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:45:27 -0400, John-Paul Stewart
    > <jpstewartsympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >> About 530 FPS with default resolution. When I maximize the window
    > >> (I use resolution 1600x1200), I get 29.2 FPS.
    > >
    > >Are those numbers from the standard glxgears (image of three rotating
    > >gears) or from ATI's fgl_glxgears (image of three rotating gears on each
    > >side of a rotating cube)? They seem awfully low numbers for the
    > >standard glxgears.
    >
    > I am new to the ATI world, and don't have Linux setup on my gaming
    > machine, so I can't test it, but 29fps doesn't sound right, I think
    > that is software rendering.
    530 FPS sounds about right for the fgl_glxgears test; it is vastly more
    complex than the normal glxgears benchmark. I could believe 29 FPS
    number for 1600x1200 resolution on a Radeon 9800, I guess.

    FWIW, I'm running an ATI FireGL X1 256MB card. I get about 690 FPS from
    fgl_glxgears in the default window or 320 FPS at 1280x1024 maximized
    window. So at least the previous poster's 530 FPS number sounds
    reasonable for his card under fgl_glxgears.

    Using the "ordinary" glxgears I get over 4500 FPS in the default window,
    dropping to 520 FPS full screen.
    John-Paul Stewart Guest

  11. #11

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati Ben Pope <spamhotmail.com> wrote:

    > > ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700
    > > model. I ANTant> notice on
    > > [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url] ANTant> ... 9800
    > > isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old ANTant>
    > > Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    > > ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and
    > > 3D (yes, ANTant> I play games in Linux).
    > >
    > > I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not
    > > tried any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux,
    > > and it have a package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with
    > > drivers for X. The drivers are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but
    > > supports also normal cards.
    > Yep - also available from ATIs site.
    Sweet. I wonder why ATI didn't mention 9800. I was very worried when
    it didn't mention 9700.

    > > There was some problems on installing the driver, until I noticed
    > > that there can be no DRI or similar support compiled onto the kernel;
    > > the driver uses its own means.
    I looked at my xf86config-4 file and I saw DRI remmed out due to NVIDIA's
    driver. I guess it will be identical for ATI driver.

    > Indeed... DRM support in Kernel 2.4 is for Xfree86 4.1.x
    I am still running 4.1.

  12. #12

    In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:

    > > > ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700
    > > > model. I ANTant> notice on
    > > > [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url] ANTant> ... 9800
    > > > isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old ANTant>
    > > > Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    > > > ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and
    > > > 3D (yes, ANTant> I play games in Linux).
    > > >
    > > > I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not
    > > > tried any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux,
    > > > and it have a package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with
    > > > drivers for X. The drivers are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but
    > > > supports also normal cards.
    > > Yep - also available from ATIs site.
    > Sweet. I wonder why ATI didn't mention 9800. I was very worried when
    > it didn't mention 9700.
    Errr, ... it didn't mention 9800. Too many model numbers!!

  13. #13

    In comp.os.linux.x [email]ANTantzimage.com[/email] wrote:

    >> > ANTant> Hello, I am debating if I should get a 9800 model or 9700
    >> > model. I ANTant> notice on
    >> > [url]http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html#features[/url] ANTant> ... 9800
    >> > isn't listed. Is anyone using 9800 in Linux? I have an old ANTant>
    >> > Red Hat Linux 7.2 system with compiled Kernel 2.4.20. I am worry if
    >> > ANTant> I buy a 9800, then I won't have a display driver for 2D and
    >> > 3D (yes, ANTant> I play games in Linux).
    >> >
    >> > I have 9800Pro and it works fine on Linux, X and all. Ok, I have not
    >> > tried any games on it, but glxgears roll fine. I have Gentoo Linux,
    >> > and it have a package media-video/ati-drivers, that comes with
    >> > drivers for X. The drivers are fglrx, which is FireGL driver, but
    >> > supports also normal cards.
    >> Yep - also available from ATIs site.
    > Sweet. I wonder why ATI didn't mention 9800. I was very worried when
    > it didn't mention 9700.
    >> > There was some problems on installing the driver, until I noticed
    >> > that there can be no DRI or similar support compiled onto the kernel;
    >> > the driver uses its own means.
    > I looked at my xf86config-4 file and I saw DRI remmed out due to NVIDIA's
    > driver. I guess it will be identical for ATI driver.
    It will not be. ATI uses the DRI so you need to have that module
    loaded.

    Adam

    Adam K Kirchhoff Guest

  14. #14

    > >> Yep - also available from ATIs site.
    > > Sweet. I wonder why ATI didn't mention 9800. I was very worried when
    > > it didn't mention 9700.
    > > I looked at my xf86config-4 file and I saw DRI remmed out due to NVIDIA's
    > > driver. I guess it will be identical for ATI driver.
    > It will not be. ATI uses the DRI so you need to have that module
    > loaded.
    OK, thanks for the tip. I hope this goes well.

  15. #15

    John-Paul> spamtraplocalhost wrote:
    John-Paul> Using the "ordinary" glxgears I get over 4500 FPS in the default
    John-Paul> window, dropping to 520 FPS full screen.

    I was wondering the same. I previously had NVidia Geforce 3, and it gave me
    about 5000 FPS. So it might be, that since I installed the OpenGL using
    gentoo packages, it game with some enhanced glxgears.

  16. #16

    "Arto V. Viitanen" wrote:

    > John-Paul> Using the "ordinary" glxgears I get over 4500 FPS in the default
    > John-Paul> window, dropping to 520 FPS full screen.
    >
    > I was wondering the same. I previously had NVidia Geforce 3, and it gave me
    > about 5000 FPS. So it might be, that since I installed the OpenGL using
    > gentoo packages, it game with some enhanced glxgears.
    Hmm...the standard glxgears is pretty different from ATI's
    fgl_glxgears...the difference is immediately apparent on-screen.
    Perhaps your low numbers are caused by using software rendering. What
    is the output of 'glxinfo | grep renderer'?
    John-Paul Stewart Guest