Professional Web Applications Themes

ATM Deluxe 4.1 discontinued - Adobe Indesign Windows

Like you, I use ATM Deluxe, and it works. I've had some less than stellar experiences with both Suitcase and Font Reserve over the years on the Mac platform, but never tried them in Windows. Peter...

  1. #21

    Default Re: ATM Deluxe 4.1 discontinued

    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    FontExpert seems pretty good to me but I haven't really tried that many different font managers. Just that one, ATM, and a couple of other ones that were so useless I don't even remember their names.

    OTOH, I don't know if you should even bother with FontExpert since it doesn't look like they are developing new versions. Check their website first to see if they have a new version. The last one I knew of was a 2003 version.
    George Guest

  3. #23

    Yeah, I want to make sure we go with something that'll still be supported in five years. Otherwise, we'd be back in the same boat as we're in right now.

    I'll keep everyone advised on how this unfolds. We were able to get a couple of brand-new copies of ATM Deluxe, so we have some breathing room. We'll still test Font Reserve and Suitcase within a few months, and decide what direction to move after that.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    Scott, no problems or issues that I can remember using Font Reserve, but I am in quite a different situation than you (single user, not needing to activate or deactivate heaps of fonts a day). I still use MM fonts a lot, so I needed ATM of some sort installed, and it just made sense to me to use ATM Deluxe alone instead of Light and Font Reserve. I also like ATM's clean interface - you can do a lot more with Font Reserve but all I really need out of a font manager is a quick, easy, and reliable way to install and (de)activate fonts and the ability to print a nice sample sheet.

    Not to me. I don't see that they're that tightly connected. Most (all?) companies making font managers don't also make fonts and vice versa. As far as I'm aware, ATM arose out of the need to make Type 1 and Type 3 fonts work with the operating systems in the days when the font formats were trade secrets. ATM Deluxe added font management features, but it was really a case of making a virtue out of a necessity. If the OSs had natively supported T1/T3 fonts from day one, I doubt Adobe would ever have developed a font manager.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Scott: I'm at the other end of the spectrum: a one-man shop working out of the house. Even so, your news is distressing. I've relied on ATM D' for years, switching fonts on and off weekly. (yes, George, it still works fine, but time marches on, eh?) I'm eager to learn what you come up with for a solution. Like you, I tried Suitcase4Win long ago, and it was so weak that I assumed it had died quietly (what with Extensis' mac-centric outlook and all.)
    stephenhawk@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    I've done a little research at Extensis's web site <http://www.extensis.com/en/home.jsp;jsessionid=A52NEE4A0HW4XLAQAAUARSQ?_reque stid=113476>, and the results aren't exactly heartwarming. The feature lists for the Windows versions of Font Reserve <http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_features.jsp?id=1009> and Suitcase <http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_features.jsp?id=1054> are slim compared to the Mac versions of both programs. That may be a good thing, since I'm not interested in autoactivation or other bells and whistles. But it may also mean that Extensis has allowed the Windows ports of both program to languish while they focused on the Mac versions. At the very least, I'd think they would be using this opportunity to entice Windows users to their products now that Adobe has officially dropped ATM. It's almost as though Windows support is an afterthought.

    Unfortunately, I don't find any user forums on their site, so there's no way to poll other Window-based users about the usefulness of either program. I'm going to keep on snooping around the 'net for more information.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    What features are the Windows versions lacking? After a quick look, I could see only auto-activation and dealing with corrupt fonts. As I understand it, auto activation is no longer possible on Windows because of the OS (ie, Extensis couldn't offer it even if they wanted to). Though I may be wrong on this. I also think that font corruption has basically been a Mac thing - the way the OS dealt with font files opened them up to being corrupted but Windows doesn't have this problem. In all my years on Windows, the closest I've come to having a corrupt font is a problem with the ATM-generated pfms for MM fonts. I've never had a corrupt TT, T1, or OT font.

    So, the Win and Mac versions of these apps may in fact be maintained equally, as far as the OS allows.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Here is the response I received to my query:

    Hello,
    The reason both Font Reserve and Suitcase look stripped down in the Windows side is that Windows does not allow auto activation of Fonts. This is a big part of the Mac side of the programs. We will continue the Windows versions of both products for quite so time. We do not offer competitive pricing for ATM Deluxe as you will find our software is already competitivly priced at $79.95 per copy.

    Regards,

    Customer Service
    Extensis, Inc.
    <http://www.extensis.com/>
    phone: 800.796.9798/503.274.2020 (8 AM - 5 PM, Pacific)

    So it sounds like you were right about autoactivation, Dominic. That's a non-issue for us, since we wouldn't rely on autoactivation anyway. We'll probably try to start our evaluation of either or both programs in the next month or so. I'll keep you advised of our progress and our findings.
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #29

    OTOH, I don't know if you should even bother with FontExpert since it
    doesn't look like they are developing new versions. Check their website
    first to see if they have a new version. The last one I knew of was a
    2003 version.

    After looking at a number of font managers, we ended up purchasing FontExpert. We're just beginning to work with it but overall first impression is quite favorable.

    From their website:

    Latest Version March 20, 2005
    FontExpert 2004
    Version 6.0 Release 3

    <http://www.proximasoftware.com/>

    Roger_Meeker@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    I really liked FontExpert best but the last time I used it was quite a while ago. So they have a 2004 now huh? Looks like they are developing after all.

    Scott, why don't you try it out? I think you might end up liking that more.
    George Guest

  11. #31

    Thanks to both of you!
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #32

    Despite Robert's silly comment, I still think it is outright stupid for Adobe, a major font producer and retailer of $8,000 font packages, not to have a font manager.

    As far as 'writing on the wall'; does this mean they are getting out of the font business?
    ID._Awe@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #33

    What exactly is so silly about it? Using your logic all auto dealers
    should sell gasoline.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  14. #34

    Adobe has no intention whatsoever of exiting the business of licensing fonts.

    With regards to your comments of about it being "outright stupid", etc., maybe the realities were that the volume of sales for font managers and the price point at which same could be resonably licensed versus the cost of development, updating, and support of same yielded a decision that such a product was not worth the ongoing investment and better left to third parties that were interested and capable of dealing with such niche products?!?

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  15. #35

    > As far as 'writing on the wall'; does this mean they are getting out of the font business?

    What writing are you referring to? The non-development of ATM and the discontinuation of it for Mac were clear signs that it wasn't long for this world, whereas developing (with MS) and pushing a new font format and subsequently updating the complete font library to that format, adding extra features to many fonts along the way, are equally clear signs that Adobe remains committed to fonts.

    Adobe is not alone in being a major foundry not to have a font manager. Indeed, it seems that, in this regard, being "outright stupid" is the norm for font foundries, whether big or small.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12