Professional Web Applications Themes

ATM Problem - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am loading stuff into a new computer and downloaded ATM light. I unstuff and the icon I get is one of those generic windows things. I click to install and get the message that "There is no program associated with this file." What do I do next? XP Pro / P4 3.2 / 2 Gig Memory / Custom built machine. Any help is appreciated. Joe PS: Is atm light on the cs professional set ... I have that j....

  1. #1

    Default ATM Problem

    Joe_Dempsey@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ATM Problem

    You don't need ATM lite on XP or Win 2K.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Oh
    Joe_Dempsey@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That's right. Unless you need to use multiple master fonts.

    Thomas_Phinney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks guys. At least I am no longer misinformed on at least one issue. Now to work on the rest.
    Joe
    Joe_Dempsey@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > Unless you need to use multiple master fonts.

    Of course you're right. But I always assume (yes, I know that's
    dangerous) that anyone who doesn't know that isn't using MM fonts, anyway.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #7

    You don't need ATM lite on XP or Win 2K.

    Maybe you don't need it but it's nice to have so you can activate and deactivate easily.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    ATM is handy ... I'm still wondering why I get the crappy little windows generic icon instead of the red A
    Joe
    Joe_Dempsey@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Who know's? have you tried using Tweak UI? It has a repair icons thing that might help you with that.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > Maybe you don't need it but it's nice to have so you can activate and deactivate easily.

    Please read before you post. ATM lite will not allow you activate or
    deactivate fonts. I know you're trying to help, but misinformation is
    worse than silence.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  11. #11

    ATM lite will not allow you activate or deactivate fonts.

    Ok, you can add\remove safer than going through the \Windows\Fonts folder; is that better?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    No, it's not better because it's not true. ATM lite, unless you're using
    MM fonts is absolutely and totally unneeded in WinK and Win XP. It adds
    nothing.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  13. #13

    It adds nothing.

    I don't want to argue because I think it's childish but I don't think you understand what my reason is for someone to add ATM.

    Remember you said that removing some system fonts can cause some serious problems?

    Well that's one of the main reasons why I think some people may want to use ATM even if it is the light version. At least by using ATM the user is unlikely to go into the fonts folder and remove fonts that the system needs.

    I understand that ATM is not crucial or anything like that but don't you agree it's a safer way for some users to manage fonts than going into the fonts folder and doing this manually?

    I'm keeping in mind that some users may not know that they can't just go around deleting system fonts or files.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    W artykule <3bb57cee.11webx.la2eafNXanI>
    [email]Gabriel_Ayalaadobeforums.com[/email] napisał(a):

    > I don't want to argue because I think it's childish but I don't think you
    > understand what my reason is for someone to add ATM.
    In fact, I do not see any reason. W2K/XP does not need ATM - nor for
    Type 1, nor for OTF fonts. The only exception are MM fonts - but who
    use them?

    ATM Lite adds only some overhead to system - without any profit.
    > Remember you said that removing some system fonts can cause some serious
    > problems?
    >
    > Well that's one of the main reasons why I think some people may want to
    > use ATM even if it is the light version. At least by using ATM the user
    > is unlikely to go into the fonts folder and remove fonts that the system
    > needs.
    It can be reason for using some kind of font manager. OK, but why ATM
    Lite? It does not support TTF fonts (well, I don't use TTF, but many
    others do). There are plenty of font managers, all of them better then
    ATM Lite. Not free, but 35 euros for OT1 Font Manager or Typograph 4
    (for instance) is not so much...
    > I understand that ATM is not crucial or anything like that but don't
    > you agree it's a safer way for some users to manage fonts than going
    > into the fonts folder and doing this manually?
    > I'm keeping in mind that some users may not know that they can't
    > just go around deleting system fonts or files.
    But you really do not need to _instal_ fonts used in Adobe programs.
    If you are using any font (or group of fonts) them only in InDesign
    (Illustrator, Photoshop...) - faster and better is tu put them (or
    _link_ to folder with them) into Common Files\Adobe\Fonts folder.
    Profits - system runs faster (less overhead), ID, AI and PS work
    faster (tested) and there is no chance to accidentally delete any
    system fonts - because you do nothing with Windows\fonts folder.

    Pozdrawiam,
    Marek W.
    --
    [url]http://www.dzienmisia.pl/[/url]
    Suma inteligencji ludzkości jest stała. Tylko ludzi jest coraz więcej.

  15. #15

    Gabriel,

    ATM Light is not a font management app. It just allows the system to recognize PostScript fonts (or in this case Multiple Master fonts, since Win XP and 2K already natively recognize PostScript fonts). ATM Light does the same thing that the old ATM Control Panel used to do on the Mac (OS 9 and lower). ATM Deluxe activates and deactivates fonts. If you have ATM Light and no other font management apps, the user WILL have to move fonts in and out of a font folder.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I've found, at least in FrameMaker, that fonts measure slightly differently with the presence or absence of ATM Lite on WinXP and Win2K, enough, in some cases, to cause column or page content to creep or shrink. I was able to confirm this in great detail by converting samples of the same file with and without ATM Lite to PDF, then using Acrobat's compare doent feature, which shows differences as small as one pixel.

    I didn't compare ID doents, however.

    YMMV

    Peter Gold
    KnowHow ProServices
    Peter_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    ATM Light is not a font management app.

    Actually it somewhat is one IMO, because it removes the fonts if you click the "Remove" button?

    the user WILL have to move fonts in and out of a font folder

    If you have "Add without copying" checked it should not be in the font folder right? I think (don't know for sure) what it does is work from the font that resides in the original folder. No?

    ATM Deluxe activates and deactivates fonts.

    I know that too that's why I said add/remove. I made a mistake in the earlier post where I said activate/deactivate.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    You still don't get it. ATM lite is not ATM Deluxe.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  19. #19

    Are you using it now?