Professional Web Applications Themes

Atmosphere and Director - Macromedia Director 3D

Obvouisly Atmosphere has been barried (for now) and it's player is now utilized for Acrobat 3D, and I've also noticed (or, I've yet to come across it) no new version of Director (it also seems to be slowly dropping off the product lists here and there.) My question is this.. Any chance of reviving Atmosphere integrated with Director to create a seemless Metaverse viewed via a DVD title on a PC/Home Entertainment System? The future is within your grasp Adobe. Could you image'n.. a) being able to walk through a gallery of bloopers for Matrix 4? b) watching Matrix 4 ...

  1. #1

    Default Atmosphere and Director

    Obvouisly Atmosphere has been barried (for now) and it's player is now utilized
    for Acrobat 3D, and I've also noticed (or, I've yet to come across it) no new
    version of Director (it also seems to be slowly dropping off the product lists
    here and there.) My question is this..

    Any chance of reviving Atmosphere integrated with Director to create a
    seemless Metaverse viewed via a DVD title on a PC/Home Entertainment System?

    The future is within your grasp Adobe. Could you image'n..
    a) being able to walk through a gallery of bloopers for Matrix 4?
    b) watching Matrix 4 with your friend in Turkey sitting on a couch in
    ActiveWorlds(2?)
    c) grabbing the DVD menu and spinning it around to choose a scene selection?

    The possabilities are endless. :O)-

    I would like to help in any Alpha/Beta versions (if any.)

    Partnerships in testing/development?

    Spunkweb Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Atmosphere and Director

    Something like Atmosphere is Blink3D, beeing developed by:
    http://www.pelicancrossing.com/
    Americo Guest

  3. #3

    [q]Originally posted by: Spunkweb
    ... I've also noticed (or, I've yet to come across it) no new version of
    Director (it also seems to be slowly dropping off the product lists here and
    there.)[/q]

    Not at all.
    For the first time on 2006, Adobe is talking about Director Shockwave in their
    http://www.adobe.com :
    Through December 31, owners of Director 7 and Director 8 can get Macromedia
    Director MX 2004 for the upgrade price of US$399.

    Also, SW3D become more and more popular day by day (> 62% current plugin
    popularity).
    Besides all of these, if my source is not kidding, Adobe in planning a major
    SW3D update on 2007.

    p.s.
    With less than 3% popularity, Adobe Atmosphere has no future (in fact, for
    this reason Adobe has discontinued the sale and development of this product)

    necromanthus Guest

  4. #4

    That link you gave.. look under the product list.. no Director.

    And why you put that ps in there? The very starting of my post has that fact.

    The post was meant to inspire a possible direction I feel would be a good
    vision, not for rebuttal.

    Ps. That's good to hear about the "Major Update" in 2007

    Spunkweb Guest

  5. #5

    [q]Originally posted by: Spunkweb
    And why you put that ps in there? The very starting of my post has that fact.

    The post was meant to inspire a possible direction I feel would be a good
    vision, not for rebuttal.
    [/q]

    That PS is because "Atmosphere and Director" doesn't exist and no one is
    interested in this 'mixture'.
    Adobe Atmosphere is dead. Do you want to resurrect it ???
    Besides that, this forum is not the right place to "inspire a possible
    direction you feel would be a good vision".
    Try to contact them (the DSW development team) directly:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
    and try to show them your 'vision'.
    Who knows ?

    necromanthus Guest

  6. #6

    forum = "A public meeting place for open discussion"

    I would hope the Director developers would keep in touch with users by viewing
    the forums and I sure hope your not getting paid to discurage "open discussion."

    Are new ideas not allowed here? (or should we stay in the box so as to not
    disrupt your narrow mind.)

    Spunkweb Guest

  7. #7

    To the best of my knowledge, there are no actual Adobe employees that
    monitor (or at least post) in this forum. Back when it was Macromedia,
    they didn't monitor it either. There are mail lists that do get some of
    the developers attention, like Direct-L, but the Adobe folks don't post
    much.

    This forum, as well as all of the macromedia.director.* newsgroups are
    just populated by enthusiasts, and folks who use Director a lot, none of
    us are paid by Adobe.
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Spunkweb,

    The 3D capabilities for Acrobat were actually developed using techonology from
    Right Hemishpere (www.righthemisphere.com). Atmosphere started as 3D Anarchy
    developed by Attitude Software. Although nearly all of the Acrobat people went
    to work on Acrobat 3D, the Atmosphere technology was basically left to die.

    But Adobe does plan on releasing a new version of Director sometime in 2007
    (http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html#item-1-1)
    although, they haven't publicly announced their plans for the 3D engine.
    Hopefully Nechromanthus' source is correct :)

    Also, here is a link to some browser penetration numbers for Shockwave:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/ (not sure where
    Nechromanthus got his 62% from.

    Steve

    mockworld Guest

  9. #9

    [q]Originally posted by: Steve
    here is a link to some browser penetration numbers for Shockwave:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/
    (not sure where Nechromanthus got his 62% from).[/q]

    I'm using the best source: MICROSOFT.
    Adobe's statistics (generated by Millward Brown survey) is worthless (far away
    from the "real world" anyway).
    The main reason is very simple: "installed" doesn't mean "used" !
    Just two notes about Adobe's statistics:
    1) Shockwave is much more popular than Java.
    2) Real Player is almost dead for a long time ago.
    Coming back to the real statistics: Shockwave had about 58% penetration 3-4
    months ago.
    Now is over 62% (and is growing fast).
    Talking about popularity ranks, Shockwave is on the 4th place (after Flash,
    MPlayer and QuickTime).

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  10. #10

    Real is installed with AOL... looks about right.
    Java did seem high, but you have to remember.. Intranet use, financial
    institutions, education, etc.

    and.. if "installed" was the case, I would think Flash would be at the top of
    the list. I think those numbers are pretty realistic (pardon the pun.)

    Spunkweb Guest

  11. #11

    [q]Originally posted by: Spunkweb
    Real is installed with AOL... looks about right.
    Java did seem high, but you have to remember.. Intranet use, financial
    institutions, education, etc.[/q]

    1) the AOL browser has less than 3% popularity (check out any statistics you
    want).
    In other words: insignificant !
    2) Intranet users & financial institutions represent another insignificant
    "slice" of users.

    You should believe (the giant) Microsoft ... pardon the pun.

    p.s.
    I think we're wasting our time with this subject.
    bye.

    necromanthus Guest

  12. #12

    Very interested necromanthus

    Can I have the Microsoft link about this statistic?

    Thank

    Little Guest

  13. #13

    [q]Originally posted by: Little Critter
    Very interested necromanthus

    Can I have the Microsoft link about this statistic?

    Thank[/q]

    It's not a link.
    It's an article from a (monthly) MS bulletin.
    You need to be MS Certified Partner in order to have access to all these
    informations.
    Anyway, the main point here is that many statistics (including the Adobe one)
    are almost worthless, because the target is reduced
    to the USA market (and maybe few other countries).
    For this reason you cannot extrapolate the results.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest